Looking for a great mule deer unit in Colorado for youth (my son) with 5 points (last year as a youth)

VWiddi1

Anyone here with experience hunting Colorado, that would be willing to give some advice on good mule deer hunting units, where a youth has a pretty good chance to draw with 5 points? I live in Utah but all my in laws are born and raised in western Colorado from Meeker, Rangely and down to Grand Junction. They all primarily hunt and always have hunted around Meeker and Rangely so are not too familiar with other units in the state. I've taken my boys hunting around rangely (unit 3) and in Utah of course but the general season in Utah is terrible and even in Unit 3 have only turned up smaller bucks. My son is now 17 and this will be his last year hunting as a youth. Would love for him to be able to harvest a nice 4 point buck 150+. We are not adverse to getting away from roads and doing due diligence and putting in the work and are open to any season using rifle or muzzleloader or even Bow if it was a rut hunt opportunity and open to traveling to any unit in the state but prefer the western side all the way down to the new mexico border. Any advice on units/deer quality and opportunity for him would be greatly appreciated!

jaces mule deer.jpg

I don't have any unit specific info, but something to consider. With NR tags reduced from 35% to 25% this year, and with forthcoming tag reductions due to winter kill, a unit that took 5 points last year may take more this year.

If you have OnX, you can access TopRut and get a quick Drawn Out report. The Colorado Outdoors Preference Point Issue (January) will also give you some info, just takes a little more digging to find units he can draw.

Good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom