Second Central Uintas Goat Retreived

Wasatch

I didn't know anybody knew about the second goat I helped retrieve over the weekend. But since others are asking I thought I'd share some additional pictures of the second goat.

Ironically, after talking to IAkota about his goat, I received a second phone call from another hunter who had also shot a goat up at Red Castle lake and was unable to retrieve it. So while I was up there, in addition to IAkotas goat, my buddy and I retrieved a second goat also. Like the other goat, where this goat came to rest was not in a bad spot. However, getting to it was another story. This goat was way up high above the cliffs on the South East side of the basin. The only way to get to it was up through the cliffs. Which is exactly what we did. We scrambled up the gully through all the loose boulders and broke out the rock gear to get through the cliffs where we could get to the goat. Climbing out of the gully we continued upwards diagonally at an angle and came to a small ridge where we could see the goat below us about 60 yards away.

This goat was a nice big Billy with great mass and a really cool red tipped beard. Both goats had really beautiful capes. Unfortunately, this goat was also rank and rotten??While not as decomposed as IAkota?s goat, as I started to cape the goat it was green and very stinky. The smell I thought I could deal with, but once I saw the green and that the hide was slipping I knew there was no reason to cape it so I just ended up cutting the head off?.which still stunk like nothing else!

Here are some pictures. This first shows where the goat came to rest. The red arrow is pointing to the goat.
7907goat1.jpg

Looking up the gully. The cliffs we climbed were at the top on the right.
3750looking_up_the_cliffs.jpg

As the goat lay when we first saw it.
2477as_the_goat_lay.jpg

As the goat lay up close.
3115as_the_goat_lay2.jpg

Close up of the Billy.
2382close_up.jpg

Profile of the Billy.
9769profile.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-11 AT 11:19AM (MST)[p]Great goat and great job getting to it for the guy.

Seems like some thought needs to be given to shooting goats in this area. That is two goats completely wasted meat-wise.
Goat hunting is precarious anyway, but something needs to be done to prevent shooting and getting results like these animals.
just my .02.
If they can fall to any area this like this then you have to pass or wait them out guys!

It must be rewarding to know that through your generosity you have helped reconnect these hunters with their trophies and help fulfill their dreams. Good for you and your buddies.

Eldorado

Great job guys. Was just wondering was there any other possible way to get to this goat with out climbing gear? I would like to draw a tag there but this has me a little spooked. Did u see any goats while retreiving these 2 goats?

LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-11 AT 01:30PM (MST)[p]Wasatch, thanks for your generosity in helping these two hunters out. How frustrating this had to have been for them. Hunting goats on Red Castle is challenging but a memorable experience. I had this very tag in 06 and another family member had it in 08. It was a great hunt even though we got two feet of snow over night during my hunt. HNTNFSH, if you choose to put in for the tag, go in and get yourself familiar with the area and watch the goats. It is well worth your time.

Thanks for your advice yeah I really need to decide which unit and do my homework cuz my days of long pack trips are coming to an end since my knees are getting worse and the toll of collegiate sports has shortened my mobility a lot.

HNTNFSH.In 08 we took my dad in with us and at that time he was 68 years old. I was kind of concerned about him because of issues with his arthritis, but he did exceptionally well. I wouldn't let the difficult recovery stories discourage you from accomplishing your dream. I bet you could find someone to go with you in a heart beat. The best thing to do is talk to the biologists over the units prior to the application period. They should be able to give you a good idea of what type of terrain you are going to be dealing with.

looks like even the preadtors cant even get the goat. looks like magnets and birds are the only thing to get on the goat.

good work on the recover

I have to weigh in. Great job on recovering the animals. That was way cool of you. As far as the hunters go, i dont know the circumstances. Things can easily go wrong. But it is alarming that two goats would be wasted in the same area. Red Castle is a steep and nasty area. If a goat is not in a good position to shoot, then dont shoot. Wait them out. They dont stay in the cliffs forever. I dont want to be a jerk here, I just hope that everyone that reads this thread can learn something from this. Make certain you can make the recovery before you shoot.

>I have to weigh in.
>Great job on recovering the
>animals. That was way
>cool of you. As
>far as the hunters go,
>i dont know the circumstances.
> Things can easily go
>wrong. But it is
>alarming that two goats would
>be wasted in the same
>area. Red Castle is
>a steep and nasty area.
> If a goat is
>not in a good position
>to shoot, then dont shoot.
> Wait them out.
>They dont stay in the
>cliffs forever. I dont
>want to be a jerk
>here, I just hope that
>everyone that reads this thread
>can learn something from this.
>Make certain you can make
>the recovery before you shoot.
>

+1, my point as well.

I see legal reprocussions from posting this on the web. Hopefully the Fish and Game will educate hunters on this issue without being dcks. I know of citations written for a lot less so please let us know if there are any problems in the near future.

I'll post here what I postd on the other thread....I appreciate the concern and can certainly understand where you're coming from. However both hunters contacted the game warden prior to contracting anything with me. In fact, once the goats were retrieved, I met personally with Officer Nielsen who I spoke candidly with showing him the heads and horns and even shared the pictures I took with him. He then provided me shipping/transport permits for both goats in order to make everything legal. I have no fear of any flack from anyone due to the steps taken in working with the DWR prior to retrieving anything. It was completely legal.

Way to go Wasatch!! Those cliffs can get pretty hairy. Pictures never do justice to just how big and steep those red castle area cliffs really are.

if you cOULD get to them to get horns. they shoulD have got to them to get meaT.BOTH HUNTERS AND DWR NEEDS . TO BE LOOKED IN TO..

It has always been funny to me that we have so many no it alls on this site. My question is smart ass, have you been to red castle? the guy shot a goat in spot where he thought he could get to it. i personally know this guy, and he is as ethical as it gets. so know it all, if you dont have anything better to do than sit here on the internet eating doritos, drinking beer, smelling your own farts, and making random comments like you actually have a freakin clue, then shut the hell up. Just my .02 cents. lol, omg, lmao, lmfao, wtf, wth, and all the other acronyms that people with to much time on their hands come up with. Douche bag!

+100 Greysriver!

Elkun, you don't have a clue! I have 20 years of climbing/mountaineering experience as well as all my own equipment which I used in the retreival of this goat. Makes a big difference climbing up and rapelling down cliffs when you have the experience and equipment to do so.

+1 Greysriver

I really do not have a problem with a guy stating his opinion about a situation. The thing I find bothersome is a guy casting judgment or is overly critical of another hunter. Generally these types have no or little experience in hunting, this case mountain goats. No experiences in climbing and repelling. But mainly they were not there in person, who are they to say what should or shouldn't have been done. The guy who does this really shows his ignorance and lack of understanding.

Posters who continue to come here with their honest accounts of their hunting experiences when things do not go as planned need to be commended, by doing so others here as well as the wildlife will benefit.

What does it matter if you never been to red castle? These hunters screwed up big time! Part of being a good hunter is making sound ethical choices. They should pay the price for wasting a game animal. They made POOR choices. It is proven with their inability to retreive these goats. Greyriver, have you ever heard of patience? Look in the mirror and you will see a giant Douche Bag.

I would like to commend all involved for the recovery of both goats. I would also like to commend the hunters for notching their tags on goats which they could neither eat nor mount. Could have kept on hunting and killed another goat which I fear happens quie a bit with goat hunting. It is a real shame the meat and capes could not be salvaged but it happens far more often with deer and elk. Difference is most hunters are not hunting goats because of their great tablefare. My 2 cents.

I couldn't let this post die because Greysriver, You owe me Dinner!!!

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.

Thomas Jefferson

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom