sending elk sheds

It gets pretty spendy no matter how you ship them but I usually go with UPS. The best way to keep the cost down (besides cutting them in half) is to find the smallest box you can that your antlers will fit into. The tips are the most vulnerable part of the antler. I take 6"x12" pieces of cardboard and roll them into tubes that will wedge onto each antler tip and then I tape them into place. Make sure that the cardboard extends beyond the end of the tip. I've seen people stab pieces of styrofoam onto the tips but that takes up more space.

I just shipped a caribou i picked up while shed hunting in alaska a couple weeks ago. I just stuffed them in a box wrote my home address on the outside of the box, showed up at the post office, and told them to send them to utah as cheap as possible. then bam they showed up at my house yesterday, 2.5 weeks later all for $25.

The 12 guage shotgun shell is a great idea. If you don't have any used shells then cut up an old garden hose into 6" lengths and push them on the end of the antler. I then like to tape them on to make sure they don't come off. fatrooster.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom