September 2011 hunts?

m1fan

Very Active Member
I am looking for recommendations for the first week of September for an elk or deer hunt. I am moving my daughter to UofM and will have two weeks to hunt after I drop her off. I am looking for a reputable outfitter and would like some suggestions. Thanks!

I guess I should help her move too. LOL
Glad she pick a good place to go to school.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Ya no more outfitter tags,thank god.Now I can sit back and watch the rinky dinks squirm.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-10 AT 07:56AM (MST)[p]Yep,you cant just show up and buy a tag from the welfare recipients any more,you need to apply by March,wait for the draw,decide if your going to put in for a LE tag(if you drew),then take the MT bow hunting course(on line) to get your bow hunting stamp(only season that will be open during your trip),then either hire an outfitter or plan a hunt on public land.Expect inflated prices from the outfitters,they will be sticking it to their clients to make up for the loss of outfitter tags.That week isnt the best for elk,its pre rut,deer hunting will be good,look for an outfitter with access to lots of private ground.

Just educated myself on I-161 by checking out that thread.

I have hunted with my daughter in the past and although she is headed off to UofM, I would like to continue hunting with her if her studies permit it.

Like NONYAMT said, make sure to apply by March. I am a non resident and hunt there pretty much every year, never used an outfitter sponsored tag.

NONYAMT I swear you just don't have a clue. You never could just show up and get an Outfitter sponsored license. OSL still had to be applied for on March 15th. Only the past two years were any still available up untill september because they didn;t sell out on march 15. The archery course is only if you don't have an archery ed class from another state or an archery license from any state in the past. Lastly no outfitter I know plans on jacking their prices to "stick it" to their clients. That statement just makes no sense. Those clients are the ones that have been paying their bills.

Please take the time to get the license info from someone that actually knows how it works. Come to Montana and enjoy what the state has to offer. You won't be sorry.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-10 AT 03:11PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-10 AT 03:06?PM (MST)

Here is a perfect example of an outfitter you DONT want to hire!Most of them in MT have this same superority complex,there are good ones out there if you want a recommendation shoot me a PM.He doesnt need to know about getting a welfare tag because they are no longer avaliable,i was generalizing,but the point is mute.
Did he say he was an archery hunter with a prior liscence in another state?NO Are you a jackass with an attitude problem and a perfect example of why most people dont like outfitters?YES

LAST EDITED ON Jan-01-11 AT 08:37PM (MST)[p]So let me get this straight,your not a guide but you "show them around the property?Then at the bottom your site still brags about getting them outfitter sponsored tags wich no longer exist?So wich is it your a guide or arnt you?Just another wanna B skirting the outfitting laws?

From your site...
"Montana licenses are required. For our out-of-state clients, we provide Landowner Sponsor certificates at no cost. This enrolls you in a much higher success rate Mule Deer drawing with FW&P. This program cuts the cost of your tag by two thirds when compared with the Outfitter tags. A preference point system is now in place for the general drawing, as well. "

This statement makes absolutely no sense.....
And then you claim you took a 238" deer?A new state record and no pic of it on your site?Are you a licensed outfitter?If so why dont you guide?If your not a guide then why do you "but we will do whatever it takes to help provide you with a successful hunt."?
Very fishy

Can you guys take your issues to another thread or PM each other? Would like to stay on topic.

m1fan, I've hunted South of Missoula a long time. I'd yak with you sometime. I'd check out this Landowner Sponsor deal real carefully. I've never heard of it existing in Montana, or of any 3/3 tag diccount period. I also have to question a world class buck at over 238 and no info. After I-161, I think a guy may have to pick an outfitter wisely. mtmuley

My daughter just got her roommate assigned to her. On Facebook, her interests are Fishing and Hunting. She is from Great Falls. At least the girls have something in common!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-02-11 AT 03:15PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-02-11 AT 03:10?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jan-02-11 AT 03:03?PM (MST)

M1FAN I WAS POINTING THESE INCONSISTENCY'S FOR YOUR BENEFIT.If you want to get scammed be my guest I wont stop you.Heres a short list of stories for you to read,this is why you should question everything you are told by a so called outfitter in this state,it is full of scam artists...this is just a few there are hundreds,most of them are greedy land owners that try to pass themselves off as outfitters,they lie about getting you tags that dont exist,let people hunt out of season and shoot multiple animals,you name it.Many a hunter just like yourself has wound up in a heap of S hit ad lost their hunting rights after falling for these scams.
http://helenair.com/news/article_ba3a3f66-e8a0-11df-ae14-001cc4c03286.html
http://helenair.com/news/state-and-regional/article_a10f37ea-93c2-11df-8b92-001cc4c002e0.html
http://helenair.com/news/state-and-regional/article_ee385fac-07e4-11df-96ba-001cc4c002e0.html
http://helenair.com/news/state-and-regional/article_7b4bb6e3-2807-50c4-a76a-604660dfdd67.html
http://helenair.com/news/state-and-regional/article_035f3b07-82d4-5c50-ae36-3f4fafc904d5.html
http://helenair.com/news/state-and-regional/article_f7795e68-ea47-520b-a040-7ffe7fdbe1c6.html

NONYAMY,

Out of respect to the author of this post I will not take up a lot of room here. Admittedly, some of the verbage on my site has not been updated since the passage of 161, I will have that taken care of ASAP.

I must state however that mine is a honest, ligitiment operation on land owned by my family and myself. I would be happy to expalin anything about this program to you or anyone else for that matter, but please do not acuse me of things that you have no knowlege of.

Blackhawk

I do appreciate the assistance that I have been offered. I usually apply for NV, AZ, UT, NM, to name a few but will probably just focus on MT from here on out.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-03-11 AT 07:57AM (MST)[p]I have no knowledge of some of the things listed on your site EVER existing.2/3 price tags?Landowner sponsored drawing with better odds?The state record buck is 207 " lets see a pic of this new record 238" buck?Calling yourself an outfitting business but stating that you DO NOT guide on the hunt?All of these statements raise serious question as to the legitimacy of the whole operation,as I posted above this kind of scam happens every year and the F&G suspects there are 10 more illegal operations for every one they take down.The statement that you do not guide sounds like a perfect disclaimer to hopefully prevent prosecution,are you a licensed outfitter or arnt you?If you are why wouldnt you guide the clients?

If you re-read his site, the 2/3 is off of the outfitter sponsored tags, which were more expensive.

I'm not exactly sure how the landowners transfers work, but there are separate landowner drawings that often have much better drawing odds.

There are many deer killed over 207 in Montana every year.

It's also perfectly legal to charge a trespass fee to allow access.

Not sure what about his operation rubs you in such the wrong way NONYAMT, but everything he's stated is perfectly plausible.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-03-11 AT 04:37PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-03-11 AT 04:28?PM (MST)

The price was set by the fish and game and there was no way to get a 2/3 price tag,ever.The only seperate drawing is for land owner preference,that can only be given one time each year to one person, an IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBER OR EMPLOYEE.Show me ONE typical that nets over 207 7/8 killed in MT......not sure where you get your info but it must be from the same website they are using...Lets see some of those buck pics....heres the state record lets see those bigger bucks killed in MT.I SEE THEY HAVE RENMOVED MOST OF THE CONFLICTING STATEMENTS SINCE YESTERDAY,WONDER WHY.
imgres

Sorry m1fan, can't let this go.

"I have no knowledge of some of the things listed on your site EVER existing."
-Glad to see you finally admit your ignorance NONYAMT.

"2/3 price tags?"
-Landowner tag - $342 Outfitter - over $1000 (pretty accurate I'd say)

"Landowner Sponsored drawing with better odds?"
-As stated by FWP - Landowner Sponsor rate 60% General Draw 20%. You seriously don't know anything about this program? Why comment then?

"The state record buck is 207 " lets see a pic of this new record 238" buck?"
-CLEARLY stated on the site - SCI score 238 4/8. I don't know where you are seeing the 207 number, but I have the paperwork form SCI-it's real. And the photo of that buck IS on the front page AND the Mule Deer page, pay attention.

"Calling yourself an outfitting business but stating that you DO NOT guide on the hunt?"
-I challenge you to find anywhere that I have ever called myself an outfitting business! This is a cattle ranch using the Landowner Certificates, that you admit knowing nothing about, in a legal and ethical manner. It is a trespass fee DIY hunt just like 100's of other landowner hunts across the state.

"All of these statements raise serious question as to the legitimacy of the whole operation,as I posted above this kind of scam happens every year and the F&G suspects there are 10 more illegal operations for every one they take down.The statement that you do not guide sounds like a perfect disclaimer to hopefully prevent prosecution,are you a licensed outfitter or arnt you?If you are why wouldnt you guide the clients?"

-Seems to me that the questions of legitimacy raised ALL point to your ignorance. You claim to be from a ranching family, yet admit to knowing anything about Landowner Tags, really??? We have MANY satisfied hunters and over 85% return rate. Not one of them have left feeling they have been "scammed"!

-You are great for manipulating any kernel of fact you might run across to try to bad mouth any of the "evil outfitters" you can. I-161 passed and the outfitters of Montana will have to deal with it. All of them that I know understand that, and have rolled up their sleeves to get to work. If you think that I, as a rancher will now be willing to give up any income that I might derive from this small "trespass fee operation" you sir, are seriously misguided.

If you are going to continually post negative comments on this board I suggest you take some time to educate yourself. And frankly a review of this post may help as well.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID6/21101.html

My apologies to other members of this board (especially m1fan) and promise to get off my soap box and not respond to any more of these ignorant, misleading posts. ;)

Thanks for your indulgence.
Blackhawk

LAST EDITED ON Jan-03-11 AT 05:17PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-03-11 AT 04:51?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jan-03-11 AT 04:48?PM (MST)

You are a perfect example of why people here dont like outfitters,condescending priks that you are,i have dealt with your kind for years,you arnt going to intimidate me.I wouldnt know anything about getting the tags,our family never sold them,outfitted,ect,ect.Not every ranch family depended on these tags or outfitting to make a living,we raise cattle not crybabies like yourself.We work for a living we dont go around looking for handouts from the F&G.The guy asked for a reputable OUTFITTER,the guy responding IS NOT AN OUTFITTER,just a land owner/leaser trying to pass himself off as one.Post these deer your bragging about,im not going looking for them,why arnt they all over boone and crockett trophy watch?There is a fine line between leasing and guiding,i hope you where that is,your next "client" might be an undercover warden turned on to your "operation".I dont doubt for a minute you believe everything you post,trouble is that nobody else is going to.The state prosecutes 'outfitters' every year for passing themselves off as more than they are,this guy asked for a "reputable outfitter" not a landowner looking to turn a quick buck for a tresspass fee,do you know the difference?Pointing out someone trying to put themselves out there as an outfitter when they are actually just overcharging some unsuspecting hunter for a tresspass fee is not bashing,its obviously detrimental to your "operation" but hes looking for a reputable outfitter something you obviously are not.

NONYAMT, why do you hate outfitter so much? Did one club you in the head with a brick when you were in middle school and stunt your ability to read and write? Just curious.

Should I just put in for an area I want to hunt, hope to draw it and continue with the draw process, then find a guide if I draw? If I am going through the process, I want a chance for a good experience. Guess I could drop down to WY if there is a hunt going at the time if I don't draw MT. Figure this will be a learning year and would like to hunt with my daughter in MT next year. Thanks for the patience and help!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-03-11 AT 06:53PM (MST)[p]You need to put in for the general draw,deer or the deer elk combo,odds on the deer alone will probably be better this year,its tough to say with the new rules.Then if you are successful you can apply for a LE tag.I guess you want to wait until you draw a tag to contact an outfitter,then they can advise you of their area and if you need to apply for a LE tag.There many,many areas you can hunt with the general tag,many others hat are a draw with 100% success,basically designating the area you want to hunt,these are all Mule deer specific,Wt is almost a statewide tag.I would focus on these so you can make plans with an outfitter earlier.If you find out an outfitter is out of your budget there are lots of areas you can do a DIY hunt with good odds of taking a decent buck,public land and Block management private spreads abound in MT.There is a great BM near Glendive I can recommend that has tons of deer and some really nice bucks later in the season,Im sure they arnt far off during the sept archery season.

BTW I dont hate outfitters in general,I have some very close friends that ARE outfitters.I detest the halfass group of so called "outfitters" that have overrun the state due to programs like the recent removed outfitter tag scam.They use any means available to intimidate local hunters and run them off public land.They trespass on private ground and/or send their clients into ground they dont have leased,they haze game,they paint public ground gates orange to cast doubt into the minds of hunters trying to stay legal,the list goes on and on. Most of them cant afford good leases so they have taken over every little piece of state land/blm/national forest that used to be hunted by the locals.Many people have stopped hunting due to their tactics and the F&Gs nonchalant attitude towards enforcing the states laws against interfering with a hunt.Myself,my family and my hunting partners are fed up with it and wont stand for it any more,if you had to deal with them for one day,had one hunt ruined by them,maybe you would understand.

M1 put in for the "General Nonresident Combo licnses".This give you a deer tag, and elk tag, upland game license and fishing license. The deadline is march 15 2011. Usually they are drawn by april 15th. Then if you decide you want to put in for any of the Special Permit hunts you need to apply for those in a seperate drawing with an application deadline of June 1st. You have to have the general license first before applying for a special permit. Hope that helps to start.

If you find someone that has private property and they are enrolled in the landowner sponsor program they can give you a certificate that you send in with your application. If you draw in that pool than your license is good on the land in which that landowner owns and has enrolled in the program.

Montana is a little different then other states but once you get the hang of the process it isn't that bad.

If you go with a sponsored tag you can ONLY hunt on that landowners property/lease and you CANT do it with a deer/elk combo,deer combo only.

Thanks everyone! I am getting reading to start the process with the general elk/deer combo license. Almost a grand.... Gotta break it to wifey soon.

Good luck with the draw,let us know how u do.BTW ur not supposed to tell them about such things!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom