Shed Hunters. A suggestion for this year.

NMPaul

Yesterday my son and I went shed hunting to see if there was anything not picked.

We split up and both packed a small lite rifle. Z carried a carbine style lever action and I will be carrying a 16.5" barrel 308 (yesterday I had to carry my browning .270 because I do not have the rings for my .308 ruger hawkeye yet) both right about 6lbs. We also carried a foxpro each (1 lb ???).

I am thinking if all the guys shed hunting carry that extra 7 lbs and stop to take a break here and there to do a set, maybe we can put the hurt on some predators. Lion tag in pocket, cuz you never know. Feral pigs are gonna get it a littl also where we shed hunt.
Hopefully a bunch of coyotes.

Idea is to help the deer herd a little,
Just a thought.

Yesterday, I found a spike bull dead head, and Zach found maybe our largest deer shed set from our unit. No elk bone at all.

For pack rifles we wanted something short and light to put into the scabbard of our packs. I like the Eberlestock J34.

I am selling a couple guns to justify the rifle I bought for my pack.
I bought a ruger hawkeye compact. Less than 36" total length, 5.75 lbs. Shoots a .308 and I am topping it with a burris 3x9 timberline (compact scope). I expect it to be a 300 yard gun.

Zach prefered a lever action and we got a marlin spikehorn in 30/30. I think he is gonna regret the limited distance, but, it is even shorter and lighter than the hawkeye.

Just a thought. Deer herds in my unit are in terrible shape, and we dont seem to have any control over the tags they are dumping in unit 34, but, maybe we can kill some predators.

Well said.. More predators dead,the more bones will fall off there head..

IMG_0570.jpg

i find winter kills almost everytime i go out shed hunting.

Gonna hit it tonight for a couple hours. Taking foxpro and gun. Even a coyote will save a couple deer.

my two favs are a blaser r8 in 300 wby mag. super super short and light. The other is an ar15 with the extendable stock and 16" barrel. the whole thing fits in any backpack and I have it in 204 ruger with 32gr vmax bullets at 4280 fps. both are super light weight and super short. they are both smaller than my wifes tikka t3 kids rifle in 300 wsm and they are both lighter. however i don't have the time for any shed hunting or yote killing. I've got just enough time to keep up with the boom going on in the oilfield and thats about all.

Skip the fox pro and run with a hand call... That will make things even lighter. I a often run light and pack far when calling at the end of the season. I find this works well... I use just a normal 223 for my pack gun I find it does not tend to matter a whole bunch...

Im from CA and hunt the area. Put a hurt on the population whenever I can. sporting a 700 300 rum on this hunt but if it's just dogs, a 700 lvsf in 17 rem. Ether way it's all good.I will be out at the end of jan for a wsmr oryx hunt and hope to get some time in scouting, shed and dog hunting. The fawn is in CA
9164img_1978.jpg

3606img_0625.jpg

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom