Shed Hunting License, Fees Etc

longpoke

So, I heard rumor that there was discussion in a recent Elko CAB meeting about passing a law requiring a shed hunting license and fees for selling commercially. Furthermore, there would be a season.

Can anyone with more insight tell me if this is actually true?

Thanks,

Tony

A season for picking sheds? That might be the stupidest thing I have ever heard of! And, so, it might be true. :)

Bullskin, you are aware that most other western states now have seasons and regulations pertaining to shed hunting right?

Its lonely at the top....

No. I had no idea. What could possibly be the point of it unless to keep pressure off late winter bucks until later? And, if that is the case, is there any part of Nevada that receives such pressure?

Look at the agenda for the NDOW Commission meeting this Friday in Las Vegas on NDOW's web site. The shed horn hunting season would start April 1 to December 31. And a fee for a commercial shed horn license to sell them. Just another way for NDOW to get more of our money. All it will do is handicap the honest folks, the rest will be taking long hikes in the woods and stock piling horns!

Are there many other natural resources that you can take from public lands and sell commercially without a license or permit? Don't you need a permit to cut firewood? Don't you need a permit and have to follow regulations for mining? Don't you need a permit to simply walk certain trails/backpack? I may not agree with all the required permits and licenses, but having a permit for collecting antlers that are being sold commercially and a season to keep the jokers from chasing bucks during the winter is a good idea.

Wyoming has a shed season. May 1- Dec 31. I hate it. I think it should start Apr 1 or 15. I do see the reason for it, though. Deer are shedding right now, and have been since late Dec. The only way to keep over-zealous shed hunters from disturbing the deer during the crucial winter months is to have a season.

It's also illegal to try to locate or stockpile antlers before May 1. I think this is the 3rd year of the law. Seems to be working for the most part. We still have people cheating, but it seems to be less every year.

The whole idea of it is rediculous and it only punishes the people already not stupid enough to chase the deer around.

Yea bullskin, I think the main purpose of it is to keep people from pressuring the wintering animals too much. I think for most of the state it isn't too big an issue but there are a few areas where I think it's becoming a major problem.

Its lonely at the top....

Hey Nvbones arnt you the one who was asking if anyone was seeing deer that had dropped their horns about a month ago. Seems like you wanted to get in the hills and find some horn good chance YOU would push some deer if you did.

the only reason i asked was because i saw a small forkie with one side. i watch deer year round. right now its from quite a ways off. i actually want to pick their antlers up not chase them into the next county

I can already see it, NDOW wardens staking out a nice set of elk sheds that they placed near the road and writing tickets when folks stop to pick them up out of season. Come on, there are laws on the books concerning harassing and hazing game animals. Enforce the laws we have and don't penalize the honest, ethical shed horn hunters. I hear the commercial license might be as much as $1,500. How about the mandatory Utah shed horn hunting test, it's a joke. Deal with the "jokers" that are breaking the law now.

The way I look at it is there are a lot of people on the Utah side of this state that come over and gather horns from Utah. I see good in it because it makes these guys put something into the pot concerning Nevada wildlife and conservation for Nevada's wildlife. In my eyes, they should at the very least posses a Nevada hunting license. Because if you really think about it, it's our money as Nevada hunters that is going into the management and conservation of Nevada wildlife. So it's only fair they pay, because we are!

eNVy I agree. Maybe a shed hunting validation to the hunting license like Idaho has for archery and muzz.

biggest thing that should be done, no season, simply ban non residents. the vast majority of shed hunters I see in Nevada are from Utah. make it illegal for non residents, and if NDOW still thinks they gotta nickel and dime ppl, charge them $500 for a shed license. A season is ridiculous as most will still be out, especially the Utards that have ruined it here in the eastern parts of Nevada anyway.

I would like to also author a bill to have all the illegals growing weed on USDA lands be required to have a permit, but I guess that would be politically incorrect in the eyes of Harry Reid.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom