Shed hunting

BuckBuster

Are there certain areas that sheds can usually be found? Like southern faced slopes, meadows etc? I have found a few sheds just tromping through the mountains, but have never found a set of antlers or anything very big. I have never really went out looking for sheds, but plan on doing some shed hunting this spring. I know some of you guys really know where look and find them. Also when should the elk start dropping?
Thanks
JB

I know this is going to sound pretty vague, but you find them where you find the bulls this time of year. I just went out Monday to a unit I've never set foot in and found 7 sheds within a few hours hiking, and some good ones at that. It all started with fresh bull sign. They were all hard white elk, but in another month the bulls will be dropping pretty good. Deer start mid jan, elk mid march. Hope this helps you and good luck this spring!

I just call em as I see em!

Depending on the area, you'll find them at whatever elevation the snow line is when they drop. If there is no snow, you'll find them scattered up and down the mountain. For the areas that I've hunted, the bigger bulls start dropping mid-March, early April. The younger the bull, the longer it tends to hold on to his antlers. I've got trailcam pics and videos of rag horns still packing in late May/early June. Otherwise, it's just a simple matter of looking for areas that bulls like to hang out in--just like hunting in the fall, but generally at lower elevations. Fence crossings, ridge lookout points, saddles, and trails leading to water sources are good bets.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom