Sheep Release

N

NVhunter66

Was anybody out at the sheep release this morning? Me and my dad were out there and got some pretty cool video, I'd like to see some pictures if you got them. They let go 8 ewes that were captured yesterday, they plan on releasing another 30-35 sheep in the next week or so.

"Elk dont know how many feet a horse had" - Bear Claw

Didn't make the release but was at the capture yesterday. I will post some pics when I get to a computer. Having trouble from my phone.

Here is an article in the Reno paper. Got to love the comments people write on there.

http://www.rgj.com/article/20111030/NEWS/111030022/Historic-release-Bighorn-sheep-back-Virginia-Range?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

What a bunch of D-bag comments. Bet those people have never done a damn thing for wildlife except complain.

Some pics from the capture.

2405100_8304.jpg

7060100_8305.jpg

9562100_8306.jpg

9658100_8307.jpg

The sheep were weighed and then placed on a table for processing by the veterinarians
1929100_8323.jpg

Blood samples, nasal and throat swabs, fecal samples were gathered. A couple of injections were given, body condition assessed, eartags put in. Body temperature was monitored throughout the process. All this was done as fast and quietly as possible so as to keep animal stress to a minimum. It usually took five to eight minutes.
1812100_8326.jpg

628100_8335.jpg

Eric (NVgamechaser) does the rectal thermometer/fecal sample while yours truly records data.
6564100_8330.jpg

Dwyte readies the "A team" tote.
6748100_8346.jpg

Blood sample tubes and needles organized neatly while we wait for a sheep to come in.
6217100_8347.jpg

Loading into the trailer
7581100_8367.jpg

Shameless plug
8641100_8350.jpg

Even though there were lots of sheep on the mountain the capture crew had some trouble catching more than one or two at a time. A couple times we did get three at once.
5404100_8352.jpg

All in all this is the most rewarding thing I can think of as far as giving back to wildlife goes. We had a great time.

>What a bunch of D-bag comments.
>Bet those people have never
>done a damn thing for
>wildlife except complain.

I am sure maybe some of them have paid lawyer's to try and stop some hunts :) Thats always what I ask someone that is against hunting. What have they done to help wildlife. Thanks for posting the pictures.

They released 34 more sheep there yesterday afternoon. 42 is a great jump start. It will be fun to watch that herd.

It's nice knowing that there is now a herd of sheep 30 minutes outside of Reno. I'm looking forward to seeing how this herd does. Does anybody know if the second group of sheep they released had any rams in it?

"Elk dont know how many feet a horse had" - Bear Claw

I was there yesterday and saw 13 to 4 yr old and a couple very young rams.Carl said they will move some more mature rams in around April when the rut is completely done so they will hang around.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom