shipping costs for meat?

Cohntr62

We are considering flying to Colo. from pennsylvania for our 2011 elk hunt instead of driving as usual. The guys I'm going with have vacation time issues. however, we're concerned about the cost of shipping meat after having the animals [hopefully] processed. Does anyone have a ballpark estimate of the cost?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-30-10 AT 01:48PM (MST)[p]Don't. It's really expensive. Ship your clothes and gear home, then take the meat (hard frozen in coolers) home with you as baggage. Within reason, the extra bag fees will be cheaper than the freight.

I had two Caribou flew home to Michigan from NewFoundland and it cost about $1 per pound.Six box's of meat ,the two capes and antlers cost me $750

Cohntr62

Fly Southwest if you have the option, you get the first two bags for free and their additional baggage fees are the most reasonable that I,ve seen.

Like the previous post stated ship your clothing and other stuff that doesn't have to be home immeadiatly and keep your coolers below 100 lbs each and you'll be fine.

We bring ours back quatered and de-boned and either cut it ourselves or have someone local do it. If you want to have it cut up out there it may limit your options some.

Jody

Everyone here has as it right. If you fly Southwest and you do want to fly Southwest, it might be cheaper to ship everything home via the airlines versus Fedex or UPS. If I remember correctly, you cannot ship antlers via Southwest...I could be wrong however.

We usually make a box from a pallet and ship our horns and gear home via motor freight (sometimes it is hard to find a place to drop off the pallet, but not too hard). You will need to rent a truck (Alamo!), but that is easy out of Denver.

You don't necessarily need coolers for your meat. We use an assortment of coolers and insulated boxes with styrofoam (some butchers sell them for $8 each, but you could make them very easy). Wrap up the meat in double heavy duty garbage bags and put in your 3 lbs of dry ice.

Best of luck.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-03-11 AT 07:41PM (MST)[p]I researched this a ton last year on here and many other hunting sites. As stated South West is the airline of choice for getting the meat home.The first 2 bags/boxes are free and 3-10 are 50.00 per box with a maximum weight of 50 lbs. per box. 10 bags/boxes maximum.Dry ice is the refrigerant that the airlines prefer you to use. Also the box must have some type of hole/vent to allow the gas to escape. You can check the SWA site to make sure it is still the same as it was last fall [September 2010].
Hope this helps Dave

With all that said Flying was a major pain in the back side. We decided the next time we go we will have 2 guys drive out and the other 2 will fly and on the way home we will reverse the drivers and flyers. Feel free to PM me.

I agree ! I will never fly to hunt again.Bad experience for me.Lost rifle and clothes on one trip and lost the meat,cape and antlers on another.
If I can't drive there ,I am not going.

You also may want to consider applying for a shipping license from southwest cargo. cost around $50. and ship your meat back in coolers using this service. We shpped 240 lbs of meat to PA from Denver this past fall using this service and the meat actualy beat us home by two hrs. It went very smooth with no problems.

http://www.swacargo.com/swacargo/rateQuoteEntry.htm?tab=RateCharts

We have also shipped our clothes and some gear back UPS ground and taken meat back as checked bags in coolers. Back before the checked bag fees this was the way to go. even with the extra bag fee, this was very affordable.

Flying Southwest and bringing your meat back as checked bags would be the most cost effective way at this point if this is a possibility for you. The southwest cargo option went very well for us this past year and would appear to be the second most cost effective.

Driving from PA is a long way but the cheapest option.

Good Luck

Craig

Thanks for the help guys. Like I said, the problem is that the 2 guys in my party have to fly due to vacation restraints. I can drive, but it looks like I would be alone and that would be very expensive as the price of gas is rising and add in a night at a motel in each direction. If anyone from West. Pa. wants to join me, I'd be interested.

>Thanks for the help guys. Like
>I said, the problem is
>that the 2 guys in
>my party have to fly
>due to vacation restraints. I
>can drive, but it looks
>like I would be alone
>and that would be very
>expensive as the price of
>gas is rising and add
>in a night at a
>motel in each direction. If
>anyone from West. Pa. wants
>to join me, I'd be
>interested.

I agree it is way to hard for 1 guy to make that drive by himself. When doing it this way ALL cost need to be shared by everyone.
Maybe next year I will meet up with you as I believe we will be going out again in 2012. We are from western NY

LAST EDITED ON Jan-11-11 AT 01:36PM (MST)[p]>>Thanks for the help guys. Like
>>I said, the problem is
>>that the 2 guys in
>>my party have to fly
>>due to vacation restraints. I
>>can drive, but it looks
>>like I would be alone
>>and that would be very
>>expensive as the price of
>>gas is rising and add
>>in a night at a
>>motel in each direction. If
>>anyone from West. Pa. wants
>>to join me, I'd be
>>interested.
>
>
>I agree it is way to
>hard for 1 guy to
>make that drive by himself.
>When doing it this way
>ALL cost need to be
>shared by everyone.
> Maybe next year I
>will meet up with you
>as I believe we will
>be going out again in
>2012. We are from western
>NY
Thanks, the guys [one is my son]that I go with, their wives only allow them to go every other year. That makes me a free agent in 2012. For our 2011 hunt, we have reservations at a ranch for lodging and tresspass. We can take a 4th.

That sounds great but I already have plans for Missouri and Ohio Whitetail hunts. I will keep you in mind for 2012. If you don't mind me asking what unit are you hunting and what is the cost of hunting the ranch ? you can PM me if you prefer.
Another thing about flying out is a rental car. I did a lot of searching and found a full size Suburban/Tahoe for less than small SUV. For 10 days the full size was 1200.00 and I found one for 750.00 by searching the internet.
Good Luck Dave

LAST EDITED ON Jan-20-11 AT 10:38AM (MST)[p]Dave, I would PM you, but i don't know how to do it. No big secrets anyway. We are paying $1200 for lodging, tresspass, and game-packing [unit 23]. I didn't research the rental car for 2011 yet, but in '09, we paid $300 [weekly rate] for a quad-cab Silverado from Enterprise in Denver. The key is to get away from the airport.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom