Shipping meat?

BPKHunter

Very Active Member
My son in Texas wants me to ship him some of the elk he shot while here in Idaho this year. Thinking a small/med styrofoam ice chest sized amount.

Any tips from others who have done this?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-18-12 AT 10:47AM (MST)[p]Put it in a styrofoam type chest of the appropriate size with several pounds of dry ice on the TOP amd then seal it well with tape. Then put it in a cardboard box with some crushed newspaper around it and seal it well to protect the styrofoam cooler from damage in transit. Send it by land with that dry ice in it and ask for as fast a delivery as UPS or FedEx has that way. That should keep the meat frozen this time of year for at least 3 or 4 days with no problem. I would wait until after the first of the year due to the heavy delivery schedule right now for Christmas that could delay it though.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-18-12 AT 06:17PM (MST)[p]Might end up just as cheap to send him the cash for a Texas elk hunt. .

have him buy you a prime rib from Omaha steaks......then ship him his elk in the huge thick styrofoam box that the good meat came in......

I shipped some frozen fish to Florida from Oregon a few years ago. I did use one of the Omaha Meat boxes that was sent to me. No Dry ice and it arrived in Orlando still frozen. Just make sure it is full, leave no room inside.

DZ

That is a good idea I forgot I shipped Omaha steaks to California and the guy I sent them to last Christmas said they came through great. They have great tight shipping containers.

I'm a little embarrased than any MM'er would insinuate that any form of beef is superior to elk meat that my son shot and we processed. Now if I could just convince my wife of that.....

I get Styrofoam shipping containers from the doctor whose office is next to mine. They receive shipments of frozen medication and just throw the containers away. They keep stuff frozen for three or four days if unopened.

Freeze it,fill up a good cooler. Ship it Fed-Ex next day. Will be hard as a brick when it gets there. I did a Gemsbok this way. 100 lbs.from Southern NM to central FL.

Went to Walmart, Cabelas, and even an Albertson's and everyone is out or is not carrying styrofoam coolers. May have to wait as it was brutal hitting those stores this time of year.

First Xmas one of my kid's can't be with us, which sucks. He's in the Air Force in Texas doing his duty.

Thanks to you all for the advice, I knew I could count on MM'ers.

hey,
I just went through this process attempting to ship elk meat from Boise area to Chicago,,, you can get card board boxs with styrofoam inserts at most pack and ship stores.... you might check into the cost of 2nd day air for frozen meat,,, IT WILL SURPRIZE YOU!!! If you get in a bind send me a message,,,,I have a way to beat the cost!!

I can get you a box to use, as I have a few in the garage. How many pounds do you want to send? You can PM your address if you want. I'm in La Grande Oregon, My In laws are in Kuna and they are coming over tomorrow and I can send one back with them if you want.
DZ

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom