shooting 30-06 bullet in 300 win mag

DonVathome

Very Active Member
What would happen if you accidentally loaded a 30-06 bullet into a 300 win mag and pulled the trigger?

I own both and i am getting more and more worried about it.

I have owned both for many years and never worried about it. How anyone can mistake a 30-06 cartridge for a 300 win. mag is beyond me. That big belt on the 300 mag is like a red flag telling you it is a mag round. Something the 30-06 does not have.
If by any chance you were able to get a 30-06 to fire in a 300 mag chamber, you will have a RUPTURED CASE and high pressure gas is going everywhere.

RELH

I'm not expert, but with then having a different bolt face I'm not sure it would even fire??

2a0fcsk.gif

It will fire. I was sighting in rifles with a brother in law, and we had our 7MM magnums and I had a .280 REM that i was sighting in also. He by accident loaded a .280 in the 7MM and fired it and it split his stock and shot gases out through the gas ports on the rifle. He didn't have eye protection either. Nothing happened, but they will fire under the right circumstances.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-16 AT 07:06PM (MST)[p]...oh...it might fire.

Here is a 270win fired in nula 7mm RM
11624image.jpg

60363image.jpg

91723image.jpg

91608image.jpg

...it extracted ok....but bolt would not close afterwards.

The shooter spent the night getting metal and other debris out of his eyes.....

I was kind of surprised it created so much pressure with a smaller than bore bullet....but it was pretty violent.

Notice how far off center the primer strike was

It definitely fits in! I do not think there is a noticeable difference. That said I do NOT shoot a lot. I doubt I have fired over 400 high power rifle rounds in my life - over 25 years of shooting (.280, 30-30, 30-06 and my new 300 win mag). I think it would fire. I had to go pic one up and then get a 30-06 shell, I did see the difference but it never occurred to me when I am shooting me 300 mag or holdings the ammo.

Also I am surprised that someone would say a smaller object will not fit where a bigger one fits? I think most learned that when they were 3:)

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-16
>AT 07:06?PM (MST)

>
>...oh...it might fire.
>
>Here is a 270win fired in
>nula 7mm RM
>
11624image.jpg

>
60363image.jpg

>
91723image.jpg

>
91608image.jpg

>
>...it extracted ok....but bolt would not
>close afterwards.
>
>The shooter spent the night getting
>metal and other debris out
>of his eyes.....
>
>I was kind of surprised it
>created so much pressure with
>a smaller than bore bullet....but
>it was pretty violent.
>
>Notice how far off center the
>primer strike was
HOMER, what's in the Briefcase?

Don, I was confused at first. It should be called a 30-06 cartridge and not bullet. Technically a bullet is one part of the cartridge, the part that leaves the barrel.

>...the pennies I thought I was
>going to have to ship
>to Oregon....62 lbs

LMAO!!!

You can bet RUS is in a PISS POOR Mood as Well just about now!

[font color="blue"]She put a Big F.U. in My Future,Ya She's got a
way with Words[/font]

Don, take a fired '06 case, put it in the magazine of your 300, and try to chamber it. Hopefully it won't work, then you'll know.

This is a no B.S. er.....had some guys a long time ago shooting at a buck one guy ran out asked the other guy what he was shooting....the guy said .270...other guy said give me a couple, they'll rattle down the barrel but they'll shoot...he was shooting a 30.06....

I almost lost an eye doing this. Friend and I were shooting from the same table. He had a 270 I had a 7mm mag. He placed his bullets on my side. I grabbed one and shot. Blew me on my butt...lost my vision in my right eye for 20 minutes. Spent 2 weeks in an eye clamp getting debris pulled by needle out of my eye. We were 19 years old....now I am 40.

Everytime since then....only one gun on the table.....safety glasses no matter what.....barrels clean

Dont mess with it.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

>Don, take a fired '06 case,
>put it in the magazine
>of your 300, and try
>to chamber it. Hopefully it
>won't work, then you'll know.
>

This, go find out for yourself.

>This is a no B.S. er.....had
>some guys a long time
>ago shooting at a buck
>one guy ran out asked
>the other guy what he
>was shooting....the guy said .270...other
>guy said give me a
>couple, they'll rattle down the
>barrel but they'll shoot...he was
>shooting a 30.06....

that's crazy! We were practicing one day, friend couldn't hit target. He kept moving closer, finally at around 25 yards he was hitting target (inconsistently). He ran out of shells, I said I'd get more out of box for him. Grabbing box I noticed they were 270's, I asked jokingly, "you shooting your 30-06 today?" he said yes! I was like oh cr##, you are shooting your 270's out of it. His rounds were "rattling" down the barrel and going all over the place! He must have shot 10 rounds through it before I asked the question...

as far as 30-06/300 win mag. No idea, just try one to see if it fits in either one. Either way, just make sure you double check box/gun when taking out to practice/hunt...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Here's a worse story. A friend of mine was going on a stone sheep hunt last August. Went to the range on the way to the airport to give his rifle one last check. Loaded his 300 Weatherby Blaser and fired it. A little extra pressure and he had a hard time opening the bolt.

Turned out he had fired a 338 Winchester mag in his 300 Weatherby. This is a seasoned hunter and he made a bad mistake. Weird thing is he finally settled down, checked his rifle and it seemed fine. He got up the nerve to try it again and it did not even affect the zero on the rifle or scope. He went to northern BC and shot a stone sheep, moose and a goat in three shots with it. Amazing. Made me want to own a Blaser. I'm afraid my Remingtons might not have the same outcome.

I can't imagine the pressure getting that .338 bullet down a .308 barrel.

Yes, the rifle is off at the factory getting checked now.

The 300 Win. Mag is longer from base to shoulder then the 30-06 and very little chance of the 30-06 shoulder being held in a position where the base rim is contacting the bolt face to be fired.
But there is a catch, with a 150 gr. bullet, the normal COL for a 300 mag is 3.325 inches. For a 30-06 180 gr. bullet the average seating COL is 3.300 inches.
If you loaded a 30-06 round with a 180 gr. bullet that was seated out to where it was slightly over 3.325. The bullet ogive may seat against the lands resulting in the rim being in contact with the bolt face and could fire.

RELH

Bright red marker will stop that from happening just color all the 300 cases.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Gator that is kind of my plan, no reason to color the 300 mag cases - they cant go in 30-06.

I am going to paint all my 30-06 boxes AND every round with bright orange paint.

Good idea to try an empty round, but TBH I want to think it might to keep me scared and on my toes.

If I still make the mistake and die that is ok. I think the world could use less people like that in the gene pool:)

Even though the 30-06 case would be loose in a .300 win chamber, I wouldn't count on the 30-06 being not held in position close enough for the firing pin to strike the primer. The unsupported 30-06 case would certainly split and gasses and maybe brass case pieces would come out of the action. There are lots of wrong ammo combos that can cause trouble. Just pay attention rather than worry about it.

A buddy of mine lent a buddy his .264 win mag. The bud's .270 had some sort of problem. My dads bud made him empty his pack and pockers to make sure he has no .270 ammo on him.... Somehow, the bud got a .270 into the chamber and pulled the trigger. He was fragged, pieces of brass in his face, some stayed with him the rest of his life and the gun took damage too. I think a gunsmith got it going again.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-16 AT 04:47AM (MST)[p]ICMDEER

I have personally seen the same thing happen in a 300rum. A guy who I know very well, a very experienced shooter, did exactly the same thing! Went to the range just before his hunt after driving all night. He loaded sciroccos for both guns, both black tipped. Being tired and not alert enough, he shot the 338win down the 30cal hole of the 300rum! The base imbedded into the bolt face and the case was STUCK in the chamber. He pulled as hard as he could on the bolt and actually twisted the case until it broke. No injuries at all. He used the 338 on the hunt and decided to have the 300 looked at afterwards. Turns out it had no issues, once the case was removed you couldn't tell anything had happened. But he is putting a Christensen carbon barrel on it just for piece of mind as you think there would be some accuracy loss.

If you think a blaser action is stronger than a 700.. Well.. You got another thing coming. Lots of pictures guys with holes in their faces thanks to blasers.

And if you are really worried about mixing up your shells, you better get rid of one of them.

No offense taken as it really is hard to fathom, but yeah, it happened. The gun has not been fired since and chances are it won't be as accurate as it was, hence the upcoming barrel switch. But we do know the cone/barrel show no signs of damage and the stock is fine, no cracks etc. A lot of gas came out of the breech and recoil was less than normal.

Now if it were a harder bullet that wouldn't have elongated itself to go through the cone, things might have been very different.

It really was an eye opener and it all happened from not being aware enough and becoming complacent. Just so important to focus on everything you do when at the range, even more so when you are tired.

I Buy a New Box or two of 7MM MAG Bullets each year to stay in Fresh Ammo!

A Few years back I Pull a Fresh Box of POWER POINTS out!

I Get to looking at the Bullets/Slugs & I'm Thinking:

Them Ain't POWER POINTS!

On Further Inspection them Ain't 7MM Mags Neither!

Some JOKER must of Swapped Boxes!

They Were 264 Win Mag Bullets & I Do believe they would have chambered in My Gun!

[font color="blue"]She put a Big F.U. in My Future,Ya She's got a
way with Words[/font]

With all due respect and no intent to offend...

PAY ATTENTION to what you're doing and you'll never have a problem.

Wow, that is scary. I painted all my 30-06 bullets. Now I am worry about my .280 bullets going into my 30-06 or 300 mag....

>I Buy a New Box or
>two of 7MM MAG Bullets
>each year to stay in
>Fresh Ammo!
>
>A Few years back I Pull
>a Fresh Box of POWER
>POINTS out!
>
>I Get to looking at the
>Bullets/Slugs & I'm Thinking:
>
>Them Ain't POWER POINTS!
>
>On Further Inspection them Ain't 7MM
>Mags Neither!
>
>Some JOKER must of Swapped Boxes!
>
>
>They Were 264 Win Mag Bullets
>& I Do believe they
>would have chambered in My
>Gun!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>[font color="blue"]She put a Big F.U.
>in My Future,Ya She's got
>a
>way with Words[/font]
>
>

>Wow, that is scary. I painted
>all my 30-06 bullets. Now
>I am worry about my
>.280 bullets going into my
>30-06 or 300 mag....

You ever worry about mixing up your meds?

I was hunting with a guy once that shot a 270 shell in his 7mm mag. It blew hot gas in his eyes and he couldn't see clearly for the rest of the day.

When I was a kid, I had a 30-30 and my brother had a 32 special. He used to brag that he could shoot my bullets in his gun in a pinch, but I couldn't shoot his bullets in mine. As far as I know, he never tried it though.

Hate to admit it but some 20 years ago I fired a 270 out of my 3006. What will happen. In my case it resulted in a trip to the eye doctor when hot gases came back and stippled my right eye. Case ruptured and thank goodness the rifle was not damaged. Pre 64 Model 70.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom