shooting range

scoot

I am trying to locate the shooting range in salt lake that will sight your gun in for you. all i kinow that it is off I-215 some where if anybody know the location and the number to contact them that would be great. thank you scott

Why would you want someone else to sight your rifle in for you? each person is different, the way you hold and see is unique and effects the way they see.
Example: My mothers rifle is on for her, but for me it shoots a foot low, just because of how close to the scope I am.

If you was it bore sighted take it to Sportsmans wharehouse...

Nochawk,
I disagree while shooting or sighting in with open sights may be different for everyone depending on how you line the sights up if you have a rifle with a scope on it and the cross hairs are sighted in no matter how you hold that rifle, if the cross hairs are on the target they will hit its mark.
That is one reason scopes are given to all the soldiers in theater these days any soldier can pick up another soldiers weapon and be just as effective with it as they would be with their own rifle as long as it has been sighted in correctly.
Jordan

Then I must see funny..
it is stock fit, the angle at which I look thru the scope.
Sight your rifle in and then have your wife or one of you kids shoot it and see where the point of impact is..

why do you think snipers have there own rifle? each person is an individual, most mass production firearms are designed for the AVERAGE person, which I believe is 5.8. If you happen to be 5.2 or 6.2 the length of pull and fit will be off.. Alot of people get scope/magnum eye because of this..

Balz-
I totally disagree!

Case in point-
Last year while i was guiding a client on an elk hunt, he brought his fancy new "custom" 30-378 wby.
When discussing what his effective and comfortable shooting distance was he told me-
"i'm not sure, i didn't even sight it in, but they said it was an easy 600yd rifle".

Well long story short, 370" bull standing in the wide open at 125yds and all 3 shots were clean misses and the bull trotted away proudly, not even running....probably laughing too!

Then he started looking through the scope and was cussing the eye relief that "someone else" had set for "them".....not the actual end user of the gun.

Cross hairs my be "universal",,,,,,but eye releif sure isn't, cuz all this guy was seing through HIS scope was a little circle floating around aimlessly and it cost him a nice bull.

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

I will agree that eye relief may be a factor when shooting and may make it more uncomfortable when shooting but if the shooter adjusts his cheek to stock to get a clear picture of the crosshairs there is physically no way for those cross hairs to move just because a new shooter is holding the gun. Stop and think about it how could they move, and if they are in line with the barrel then unless they are knocked off, they will shoot straight.

Snipers get there own rifle for the same reason every other soldier in the Military gets there own rifle, do your really think they pull a brand new gun out of a box for each Sniper and when they get out of the Military its there going away present I don't know how many years you spent in the service or how many snipers you know but if you do know any then call them up and ask them they will tell you.

Case in Point: I have lent my rifle to 3 different hunters over the last few years and each of them have had no problem killing an animal with it. I have rabbit hunted with my brothers rifles and have killed a deer with many of Dads rifles and even one or two with brothers rifles. Never shot them till the day I was hunting with them.
Outside of the United States and sometime inside the US it is not uncommon to be able to rent a gun from an outfitter while hunting with them and do you really think they have to go sight that rifle in each and everytime someone knew is holding it.

Really guys stop and think about it

Jordan

That all makes logical sense, but i have seen it myself just last sunday while out sighting in two .204's side by side.
We both got ours dialed in perfectly, .6" high at 100yds.
Then i wanted to shoot my buddies so i did......i was 2" low with his rifle. He jumped back on and shot perfect for him.
He sat behind mine, 2" high and 2" to the left, all 3 shot groups.

Hell i dunno????? Lol

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Snipers get there own rifle for the same reason every other soldier in the Military gets there own rifle, do your really think they pull a brand new gun out of a box for each Sniper and when they get out of the Military its there going away present I don't know how many years you spent in the service or how many snipers you know but if you do know any then call them up and ask them they will tell you.

I dont have to call and ask them...
when you are discharged you have the option to buy your rifle..

1st Marine Division
1st Force Recon, & 1st FSSG Medical Bn, & Hqt & Service Co S2
Camp Pendleton, Cali

3rd Marine Division
3rd MAW
Camp Swab
Okinawa, Japan

2nd Marine Division
22MAAU
Camp lajuene,NC

Sea duty:
USS Ranger
USS Montana

Embassy Duty:
Madrid, Spain

16 years 3 months 12 days, Medicaly retirement due to injuries recieved in service.
484f1bb844ae4639.jpg

484f1be045461ede.jpg

I will agree that eye relief may be a factor when shooting and may make it more uncomfortable when shooting but if the shooter adjusts his cheek to stock to get a clear picture of the crosshairs

And how am I to know just where the other shooter had his cheek on the stock?? do they all come with a movable cheek piece that you can fit your cheek into like a good trap shooters shotgun??

I can't shoot a Monte Carlo stock like you get with Rem rifles, I have to use a straight stock like Ruger makes or my eye is not centered over the top of the stock and I have to lean my head over the top...I may as well shoot it left handed as the flat of the stock is more in line that way for me.

M1s M14 M16 are mass produced so that just about anyone can shoot them and the parts are interchangable and have tolerences of 100%... The one thing I hated the most was the 1911 colt 45...I never picked one up that didnt have a loose barrel that just rattled around in there...if you wanted to qualify Expert you took about 6 of them and started swapping parts until you had 1 pistol that was tight.

Anyone can go a saturate the countryside with firepower, The BROADSWORD effect..
I prefer the scaple..1 shot 1 kill

If I set up a rifle on a shooting vise and I put the crosshairs on the target and pull the trigger why would that rifle shoot any different if you pull the trigger.
Cross hairs do not float inside of the scope they are stationary.

what if you cant your body? you may not be at a perfect 90 degree angle??? ever shot a bow??? that will throw you off every time...

what about astigmatism??? The prism in everyone's eyes are not the same...

As you are doing your figure 8s as you aim in, trigger tension may have the shot going off on either side of the bulls-eye??

A lot of factors in shooting, and just getting to know your own rifle and when the trigger breaks can only be accomplished by practice.

would you trust someone else sighting in your rifle on a once in a lifetime tag opportunity??? much less when your own life is in the balance?

If you want someone else sighting in your rifle you may as well have them shoot your animal for you as well. Show the animal the respect it deserves.

balz?
what army issues EVERY soldier a scope? not one in this country.

i for one would never shoot a rifle that I had not personally sighted in. thats just stupid.

but for 50 bucks i will sight in anyones rifle.....

I think where scoot was going with this is that he wants someone to get it within an inch or two of the bullseye(or where he wants impact) and allow him to fine tune it from there. I know when I put a new scope on my rifle, I will get it boresighted and take it to one of the ranges that has a vice grip and once it is "close", fine tune it to my shooting style.

CS

"Helping turn good tags, into great ones." - www.vipoptics.com

ez bore sight
put a dot on a wall 10 feet
remove bolt
sight through barrel,
match crosshairs on dot while dot is centered in the barrel.

20 seconds. to easy

Rifle 666,
How many years have you spent inside of a combat zone recently?
If you have you would know that every soldier that will have the slightest chance of being outside the wire either has an ACOG mounted on there rifle or a CCC scope mounted.
Lastly Nochawk its simply physics what is the difference between crosshairs and a laser sight nothing if you put them both on the target they will both shoot where ever they were sighted in Cross hairs do not move only the shooter is moving and it the shooter can not hold the rifle so that they have a clear picture of the crosshairs that does not mean the cross hairs are pointing somewhere different.
I apoligize for the aurgument I usually aviod getting into it on MM I agree to disagree.

Jordan

balz,

lets see, 10 years active 11b(4)
3 combat tours

but enough about my resume
i could count on on hand how many soldiers that WERE not snipers or SF that had any optics period. i know a few ranger units that have gone to them and some INF units.
but
that was 6 years ago, maybe in that 6 years the army went out and fitted EVERY M16 with an acog reflex or trijicon sight, but knowing how the army works 6 years is not enough time. but i will be finding out since i have many buddies in the sandbox right now.

back to the discussion.
it is simple physics, unless you have the exact length of pull, the exact same vision.. (for eye relief) and exact anchor point, two shooters on the same scoped rifle will not shoot the same. that is marksmanship 101.

they might be close but not the same,
now for a reflex.holo,acog, trijicon are a bit different than a traditional scope they are a bit more forgiving.

bottom line why would anyone want to have someone else sight in or shoot their rifle?

Here's the $10,000 quetion for ya balz-

You have any good hunts your doing this fall that you really need to trust your rifle?

How bout sending it too someone and letting them sight it in for ya, and you don't get too shoot it till your crosshairs are on the animal you want to kill.

I'll bet you break out in a cold sweat!! :)

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jun-11-08 AT 09:49PM (MST)[p] cowslayer had it right just looking for a range that has a vise to get close at 200 yards and then i will fine tune it from there. I would never go out in the field without shooting my rifle and makeing sure that it is hitting were i would like it to. Especially when I have got a henrys tag this year i just want to make sure my gun is working and shooting properly and hitting in the right place.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom