Shop Builders?

Wyo_Roadhunter

Any of you on here build shops? I'm about to the point of throwing the couches out to fit mounts in the house so I think it's about time to quit putting it off and have a shop built. Figured I'd see if there was anyone on here 1st.

All I can say is good luck. I tried for several years to get a shop built and all the builders I talked to want a fortune and didn't really even want the work. I got lucky and talked a retired friend into helping build mine and its the only way I'm getting it done. I bet it will be even worst to try and get someone to build one in Kemmerer, WY!

If you're good with a metal building, they are a bit easier to build yourself but the foundations can still be a challenge if you don't have the tools and knowledge.-----SS

Here is what I'm doing. The size is a good fit for my lot and it will match the profile of my house fairly well. Should get all the reloading stuff, camping stuff, tools, etc out of my attached garage so we can finally start parking in it. :ROFLMAO:

Shop.png
Screenshot 2023-12-29 120350.png

Screenshot 2023-12-29 120317.png

Last edited:
I should have built one 25 years ago when prices were reasonable. Had drawn up plans for a 40’x60’ two story. I want the height to be able to have stackers for my trucks inside it. Now it would cost me more than I paid for my house 26 years ago. Always liked seeing what others have built and how they laid it out.

I should have built one 25 years ago when prices were reasonable. Had drawn up plans for a 40’x60’ two story. I want the height to be able to have stackers for my trucks inside it. Now it would cost me more than I paid for my house 26 years ago. Always liked seeing what others have built and how they laid it out.
I somewhat hear that, I’ve been on the fence about it for about 7-8 years. It certainly cost less then.

Here is what I'm doing. The size is a good fit for my lot and it will match the profile of my house fairly well. Should get all the reloading stuff, camping stuff, tools, etc out of my attached garage so we can finally start parking in it. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 131163View attachment 131164
View attachment 131165
I like this I’ve been looking at around this size maybe a schoche bigger.

I’ve been eying something like this.

All I can say is good luck. I tried for several years to get a shop built and all the builders I talked to want a fortune and didn't really even want the work. I got lucky and talked a retired friend into helping build mine and its the only way I'm getting it done. I bet it will be even worst to try and get someone to build one in Kemmerer, WY!

If you're good with a metal building, they are a bit easier to build yourself but the foundations can still be a challenge if you don't have the tools and knowledge.-----SS

I called one of the builders that's been putting up a bunch here in Kemmerer. I learned either I'm poor or I spend way to much on hunting 🤣. A 40x60 shell with insulation and concrete was over 100k! I'd like to do it myself but I have no idea what I'm doing with concrete. Metal wouldn't be bad except then I'd have to pay for lumber to frame it or I guess could use self tappers to put up walls so I could hang mounts. I'm pretty much wanting it to be my hunting room. Really wouldn't use it for vehicles unless I finished half of it nice then the other half just to use as a normal shop.

Word of advice to you guys looking to build a shop. Plan for 3/4" plywood under the sheetrock if you are going to finish it. It makes hanging mounts, or anything else, a breeze.

I built a 30x40 with 15' ceilings at the peak about 10 years ago. I added plywood from 4' above the floor to within 2' of the ceiling and it was money well spent. I would also highly recommend closed cell spray foam insulation. Again, it was a game changer. Mine is truly just a man cave so has no overhead door. It costs about $40 a month to heat and cool through the year.

Word of advice to you guys looking to build a shop. Plan for 3/4" plywood under the sheetrock if you are going to finish it. It makes hanging mounts, or anything else, a breeze.

I built a 30x40 with 15' ceilings at the peak about 10 years ago. I added plywood from 4' above the floor to within 2' of the ceiling and it was money well spent. I would also highly recommend closed cell spray foam insulation. Again, it was a game changer. Mine is truly just a man cave so has no overhead door. It costs about $40 a month to heat and cool through the year.
X2 on the plywood simplifies the mount hanging a great deal.

I wouldn't do sheetrock to start with. Unless you keep it heated constantly it's guaranteed to fail

Pole barn?

Haven't priced one, but a lot of folks are doing them around here
A couple years ago I was interested in a pole barn. Got our local pole barn guy out to give me an estimate. He quoted me $75k for a 30x40 shell, no doors, no insulation, no plumbing, no electrical, no windows, NO CONCRETE F'n FLOOR.

I don't have a pole barn as a result of that estimate.

I build all sorts of stuff. Its so expensive. I dont know how working class people can afford to have stuff built for them.

Roadhunter, you seem like you got at least a little bit of coin, but id say start by making real good friends with best local contractor you can find and go from there. Theres a reason they call it "the trades"

After building several stick framed shop/trophy rooms at other homes. My latest, after a move from NV to TX, is a 50x60x12 spray foam insulated metal building. Has 3/12 roof pitch where end gable wall is 3/4 sanded and stained plywood over standard framing for trophy hanging. I couldn’t be happier, just too many memories to hang in a house.

Pole barn?

Haven't priced one, but a lot of folks are doing them around here
Roper did one for me and did a good job. I've got a local guy now that builds pole barns full time. He's who I'd use if I was building another pole barn, he's a hunter I met through a mutual friend. I can share his contact via PM if anybody wants it

He Must Of Knew You!:D

RAZZIN Ya!:D

A couple years ago I was interested in a pole barn. Got our local pole barn guy out to give me an estimate. He quoted me $75k for a 30x40 shell, no doors, no insulation, no plumbing, no electrical, no windows, NO CONCRETE F'n FLOOR.

I don't have a pole barn as a result of that estimate.

If I was to do one, I would choose wood framing or masonry. Those tend to be more friendly to future changes. If you plan on resale, the next owner can do more with it than a metal building and they’re more attractive. I learn that not everyone has dreams to tinker with hobbies like us. They can turn it into just about anything after you. Metal buildings will always just be a low budget building that will always be a low budget, non looker type of structure. The wood or masonry have more strength too for overhead space or options like hoists. They’re more efficient too, at least the stick frame. I would make sure to stub up power, water, waste and gas. You don’t have to stub up, but asbuilt the underground locations and come back later. Even if you don’t use all of them and want to add a restroom or utility sink later and any other hvac stuff. It will look way better to have plans for them now rather than the future if all it takes is a little up front underground costs.

Any of you on here build shops? I'm about to the point of throwing the couches out to fit mounts in the house so I think it's about time to quit putting it off and have a shop built. Figured I'd see if there was anyone on here 1st.
Don't know if MQS is in your area, but they might be able to put up a building more cost effectively than you can do it yourself. They have a location near me in Montana and I think they travel. mtmuley

I am building one right now. 60x62. It's a pole barn design but I have done a few modifications to the framing. I wanted to sheet the roofs and walls for added weather proofing and strength. I have done a lot of the work myself and have been generaling the rest. Roper was 225k+ for this build. I am going into roughly $150k with my modifications and upgrades. I did thicker metal all the way and a 6" slab. Got the garage doors installed today.

PXL_20231111_223306876.jpg

I had plans drawn up for a 24’ x 40’ with 16’ foot walls just before I retired. I got three bids which were all shockingly high. I made a comment about that to the third bidder and he dared me to build it on my own. So I did. Subbed out the concrete, roof trusses, and the stucco. The rest I did myself, it was a great retirement job. Stickbuilt and insulated with a 16 by 14 garage door in it. Heated and evaporative cooler. It’s already too small though.
IMG_6573.jpeg

We just GC’d a big addition for a trophy room. AK costs are not comparable to anything down there so I can’t comment on your bids you’ve received. Too many factors and variables. GC it yourself and that will get you the most bang for your buck like @BeanMan did. But first spend the winter really thinking what you want in a shop. I’ve seen too many people build something they are not happy with a year or two down the road. And it might be better to do it in stages. Nice thing about being your own GC. You can build at your pace.

It might be a hassle but another option is look for a different house that has what you want. You never know you might find something that has everything you need for a better price than if you built it. With the chitty interest rates this isn’t as practical as a couple years ago but still an option.

It might be a hassle but another option is look for a different house that has what you want. You never know you might find something that has everything you need for a better price than if you built it. With the chitty interest rates this isn’t as practical as a couple years ago but still an option.
[/QUOTE]

This is what I am hoping for. My house seemed plenty big when I 1st bought it and only had a couple deer mounts haha.

I called one of the builders that's been putting up a bunch here in Kemmerer. I learned either I'm poor or I spend way to much on hunting 🤣. A 40x60 shell with insulation and concrete was over 100k! I'd like to do it myself but I have no idea what I'm doing with concrete. Metal wouldn't be bad except then I'd have to pay for lumber to frame it or I guess could use self tappers to put up walls so I could hang mounts. I'm pretty much wanting it to be my hunting room. Really wouldn't use it for vehicles unless I finished half of it nice then the other half just to use as a normal shop.
If you can get that for anywhere near 100 K you should probably jump on it.
Good luck whatever you do.

Had Vap Construction do mine - they are outta Atwood, KS and travel and do quite a few builds in WY so should travel your way. I like their post frame construction with decidedly more framing. The quote you got is probably close though, as I was around half of that, but slightly smaller and 8 years ago and not spray-foamed...They definitely beat out the name-brand buildings on price and workmanship and followup on any issues was good.

shop.jpg

We just GC’d a big addition for a trophy room. AK costs are not comparable to anything down there so I can’t comment on your bids you’ve received. Too many factors and variables. GC it yourself and that will get you the most bang for your buck like @BeanMan did. But first spend the winter really thinking what you want in a shop. I’ve seen too many people build something they are not happy with a year or two down the road. And it might be better to do it in stages. Nice thing about being your own GC. You can build at your pace.

I like this idea. I am selling my house this spring and instead of building (a house and shop), I am going to look at finding an existing, built shop. After price comparing, this seems like the best value in this area.

Beautiful shops all!

A few ramblings after reading this thread.

Know what you want. Put some thought into it. Too many people jump in not knowing exactly what they want. If you're married it even complicates it even more. Changes cost more down the line. Don't be afraid to hire a designer etc. They will present you with questions and options you haven't considered. Get drawings done. Drawings help get more accurate bids. If I'm bidding off a sq footage you're getting a higher price.

Be realistic about how much "sweat equity" you can put into the project. And how much it really costs you. I would argue to a greater extent that in most situations you would be cheaper to hire it out. I look at it this way, my billable hourly rate is $180. Why would I put on that lap siding when I can get a siding guy who is licensed bonded and insured for $60 an hour. Why he's doing that on a nice day I'm either out making more, or I'm out having fun. Now thats not to say I don't do a lot of work myself but I'm just saying look at the actual costs. It would also take me longer. You're better off working some OT in most situations and having someone do the work.

And dont get me started on DIY guys buying tools for one job. :D let me buy this 700 saw that sits in my garage till I sell it on facebook marketplace 3 years later for half the cost. But I saved money from that dirty contractor who quoted me a high price hahahahahahahha

Beautiful shops all!

A few ramblings after reading this thread.

Know what you want. Put some thought into it. Too many people jump in not knowing exactly what they want. If you're married it even complicates it even more. Changes cost more down the line. Don't be afraid to hire a designer etc. They will present you with questions and options you haven't considered. Get drawings done. Drawings help get more accurate bids. If I'm bidding off a sq footage you're getting a higher price.

Be realistic about how much "sweat equity" you can put into the project. And how much it really costs you. I would argue to a greater extent that in most situations you would be cheaper to hire it out. I look at it this way, my billable hourly rate is $180. Why would I put on that lap siding when I can get a siding guy who is licensed bonded and insured for $60 an hour. Why he's doing that on a nice day I'm either out making more, or I'm out having fun. Now thats not to say I don't do a lot of work myself but I'm just saying look at the actual costs. It would also take me longer. You're better off working some OT in most situations and having someone do the work.

And dont get me started on DIY guys buying tools for one job. :D let me buy this 700 saw that sits in my garage till I sell it on facebook marketplace 3 years later for half the cost. But I saved money from that dirty contractor who quoted me a high price hahahahahahahha
So true it hurts….lol

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom