Short bed- long ATV

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I have a short bed F150. My quad is a Kawa 650 with a longer whell base that my bed is long. Basically, I don't want the rear tires of the quad soley resting on the tailgate due to the weight. What's the best solution to weight disbursement for my situation? I'd thought of stacking 2- 2x8's on top of eachother and then putting those down in the bed of the truck. If I had the quad resting on these stacked 2x8's, wouldn't that disburse the weight away from the tailgate a bit? I'm not a physics guy but this seems logical. Any advice or ideas? Thanks.

And...no...a different truck is not an option.

Steve

M'Balz Es Hari

Yes that is an option and will reduce the amount of weight directly on the tailgate. I have no idea by how much though. Cause when the boards flex it will reduce what you are trying to accomplish. You may be better using those metal atv ramps under it or something similar...

You could also stick some sort of block under the frame of the atv that rests on the bed that takes most of the weight off the rear tires.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Ok...Ryan- Here's the thing.....just how do you get the front tires up there? That's a serious question...I always wondered how that was done. :)

Steve

M'Balz Es Hari

Jeezus you are a worry wart......it ain't gonna hurt the tailgate......

When you go swimming in the ocean, it is very cold, and it makes my willy small

sheet of 3/4" plywood works like a charm.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

>And...no...a different truck
>is not an option.

Shorter quad?

Do you need to tow a trailer at the same time? If not someone sells a frame that plugs into your hitch receiver and the tailgate comes off. The quad tires rest on that frame. I found it a while back but forget who made it. I will searching for hauling a side by side in a regular pickup.

Otherwise, go with the plywood and or 2xs.

As for getting the front tires up on the cab, I know a possible way to do that but its rather destructive. My tailgate has a big dent in it to prove it.

ZIGGER- I'm not worried about it hurting the tailgate, silly. I'm worried that there'd be too much tension on the cords that support the weight that's on the tailgate.

I will be pulling a trailer, NVB. Plywood? Seems a little flimly for weight distribution....but again, I'm not a physicist. I am a good speller though.....note "physicist".

Steve

M'Balz Es Hari

LAST EDITED ON Sep-27-13 AT 08:53PM (MST)[p]Flatbed your rig and load the wheeler sideways.:)

"Sometime's i drink water to suprise my liver"

JUDAS PRIEST!

Tailgates are made to Use & Abuse!

It Ain't gonna hurt your Tailgate!

I Hope you don't get any Blood on that Rig!:D

RAZZIN Ya!

I hope you get it covered in Blood!

Best Watch Out!
My Arm is starting to Hurt!
I'm about to Itch it!

OK Wisz!

You Payin Attention?

Think about this:

You ever stood on your Tailgate with all your Weight on one foot?

Guaranteed that's more Weight by far per square inch than what weight is on 2 of your Wheeler Tires!

No!

I'm not sayin you're PHAT!

Just sayin...................!

Best Watch Out!
I'm about to Itch it!

What if I tie a bunch of helium balloons to the back of the wheeler minimizing the amount of weight that is resting on the tailgate?

BESS- I'm gonna get it covered in blood. Between my son and I we have 7 deer and antelope tags this season. You need some meat? :)

M'Balz Es Hari

Wizard I would suggest cutting a piece of 3/4 inch ply board to length of your truck bed including tailgate for weight distribution and be done with it..stable and a cheap fix :)

))))------->

LOL

Plywood will do it. We use it all the time to distribute the load of scissor lifts fork lifts and even cranes sometimes. Your tailgate would be fine without it but if it gives peace of mind go with the plywood, it will certainly distribute the point loads.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

Forget the Damn Plywood!

And use the Truck for what it was built for!

You Guys think Beds are just to look at?

FYI Wisz!

Last year we had a (Cut Up!) Full Elk (Except the Head & Antlers!) on one ATV!

Loaded the whole Damn thing in to the Truck bed with the Rear Tires sittin square on the Tailgate & never hurt a damn thing!

I don't know about anybody elses PISSCUTTIN Rig?

But a little Blood/Weight Ain't gonna Hurt Em!

I might have to take you up on an Steak Wisz!:D

Best Watch Out!
I'm about to Itch it!

And Remember one thing Wisz!

If you don't think that PISSCUTTER F-150 can handle it!

For about 65K and a Quick Trip to the Dealer You can have you a Rig that'll Handle the Job!:D:D:D

If Ms Wisz wanted a Ferrari to do the Job you sure the Hell wouldn't Buy Her a GEO would Ya?

Best Watch Out!
I'm about to Itch it!

BESS- I USED to have the truck I wanted....2003 Chevy lifted diesel 2500. I sold it in 2006 to help make the down payment on our house that we're in now. I've owned 2 "half-ass" trucks since then but not what I wanted or needed. We all make sacrifices for the betterment of our family. My 2008 f150 has served me well over the past few years. It was what I took to Vernon with a small quad in the back pulling my pop up trailer. It did just fine. I gotta wait until my 14 1/2 year old figures out what she wants to do car wise. She's said she'll want my f150 but I'm not sure. When we get her lined out, I'll buy what I want. It'll probably be a new GMC 3/4 ton crew cab.

Mrs Wisz is driving a 2012 GMC Acadia. Not the car she necessarily wants either but it is what was semi affordable and what our family fits into the best.

You still driving that super cute 1986 VW Cabriolet convertible?

M'Balz Es Hari

You still driving that super cute 1986 VW Cabriolet convertible?

I am Wisz!

When you lay the Convertible Top down You can hook the front Wheels of your Wheeler up over and in to the back seat and you can pull it about anywhere you want as long as it's a Paved road & go from there!

"""I know what Ms Wisz Drives,JUDAS"""!

That Big New 4 Door GMC sure is gonna be Nice when you get it!

Question is?

You gonna be willing to Pin Stripe it on Huntin Trips?

Best Watch Out!
I'm about to Itch it!

There won't be any pin-striping happening. That's what I have the quad for. Spend over $40K on a truck only to run it through thick sh!t to get me a little closer to where I want to hunt? Hell no! Off load the quad to take me where my hunt will start. :)

I asked my wife about you...she said that you came onto her but she thought you were a Special Olympics participant. She recalls thinking it was "precious".

M'Balz Es Hari

Lmao.. nice wisz....

you're fine with setting the ramps on the tailgate and driving it in but not leaving maybe 100 pounds on the tailgate? dude don't worry about it, go hunting and don't mess with trying to keep wood under the tires...

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Sep-29-13 AT 04:56PM (MST) by kilowatt (moderator)[p]...that quad weighs 650 plus or minus.....say 700 tops. That is 350 on the tailgate, fairly evenly distributed. ....Seriously...don't worry about it.

>There won't be any pin-striping happening.
>That's what I have the
>quad for. Spend over $40K
>on a truck only to
>run it through thick sh!t
>to get me a little
>closer to where I want
>to hunt? Hell no! Off
>load the quad to take
>me where my hunt will
>start. :)
>
>I asked my wife about you...she
>said that you came onto
>her but she thought you
>were a Special Olympics participant.
>She recalls thinking it was
>"precious".
>
>M'Balz Es Hari

Well Wisz!

I got my Ways of making things Happen!:D:D:D

It's OK if you call Me "precious"/"Special" now & Then!:D:D:D

Best Watch Out!
I'm about to Itch it!

Like NVBighorn said. If you didn't need to haul a trailer this is what I used to go to Wyoming before.

I think I got the hitch hauler through Cabelas.

8048dscf1550.jpg

If Wisz gets one of them!

He'll be worried about all that 'Leverage' on the Receiver Hitch!:D:D:D

Best Watch Out!
I'm about to Itch it!

Wisz, no need to tie helium balloons to the back. Just fill the back two tires with helium. That should make the back end just light enough so you have no worries.

Eel

Better check those welds on that hitch. You never know if the guy that built it had just finished smokin' a bowl!

M'Balz Es Hari

>Like NVBighorn said. If you didn't
>need to haul a trailer
>this is what I used
>to go to Wyoming before.
>
>
>I think I got the hitch
>hauler through Cabelas.
>
>
8048dscf1550.jpg

That looks like an accident waiting to happen! But I guess it worked out just fine or yur report would have been a bit different.

Hey Whiz, what did you say held your tailgate on? CORDS? What kind of cords?

Like everyone says, just use it until the "cords" break. LOL

Zeke

I thought about buying a carrier that goes over the bed but will not have this truck longer than 2 more years. I don't want to buy something that I can't put on my next truck.

M'Balz Es Hari

>I thought about buying a carrier
>that goes over the bed
>but will not have this
>truck longer than 2 more
>years. I don't want to
>buy something that I can't
>put on my next truck.
>
>
>M'Balz Es Hari

You Ain't gonna wanna Scratch your Next Truck!

JUDAS!

Best Watch Out!
I'm about to Itch it!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-13 AT 09:11AM (MST)[p]Something like this?

Fits short bed too. Just hangs over the gate some.

9257brads_rig_008_2_copy.jpg

Chain up those ATV tires and it will climb up on the cab no sweat. LOL
Have you brought the PLYWOOD yet.

Wiz, your a dumb azz I told you 3 months ago I have the
rack you want,just like the one in this post but
made outa steel.It's for 2 quads just let it hang over the
bed until you get a new huntn rig.Still sittn in the carport at a decent price for both parties.I never try to break
it off in someone less their a dumb azz, just razznnya just come
get the sombeetch.
Jim

You don't have to be the best,just good
as the best,forget the rest.

LOL, Jim! Are you in the "sales" game cuz your approach needs a little help. LOL. I remember talking to you about it a few months ago. Send me a pic to refresh my memory of the rack you've got. [email protected]

Steve

M'Balz Es Hari

He has a good sales pitch. Good thing he isn't a doctor. LOL

Wiz, I don't know how to send pics.
Price is 450.00
call me @ 661/619/7103
I am leaving for Nevada this Sat. around noon.
Come get & try it out for your hunt pay me
later if you like it,if not bring it back
or sell it & make a couple of bucks off it
and just give me what I'am asking

Jim

You don't have to be the best,just good
as the best,forget the rest.

sure can't beat that deal.

Is She about Ready Wisz?

I used to know of places worth Hiking in to for Elk & Deer!
Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom