Shotgun barrel length

alsatian

I'm looking at buying a Remington 870 12 gauge express, synthetic. Any opinions about whether a 26" or 28" barrel ought to be preferred? I'm interested in using this for waterfowl. I have other older shotguns for using lead pellets when legal, as for upland game and some migratory game birds.

with all the magnum shotgun loads you can get, i doubt there's any real advantage you get with the extra 2 inches. i use a 26" 870 for all my bird hunting.

i read some years ago that the optimum barrel length for a 12 guage is 21". said that anything after that actually slowed the shot down because of the drag of the barrel against the shot load. said that the long barrel/long range deal was a myth. i'm glad this question got asked. is there anyone out there that can answer it for sure? some years ago i bought an 1100 special field, remington. it has a 21 1/2" full choke barrel and straight grip, instead of a pistol grip. quickest quail gun i've ever seen and the range seems to be as good as anything i've ever had. what the article said was that long barrels in shotguns don't neccesarilly mean long range, like they do with rifles. with rifles it's pretty much sealed until the bullet leaves the barrel, but with a shotgun there is a fair amount of gas escapes through and around the shot and wad and from the action itself, especially in an auto. anyway, someone enlighten us.

If I remember correctly, the old myth about longer barrels being more powerful, higher velocity, started in the days when blackpowder was being used. Blackpowder needs a long barrel to fully consume the intire load of powder. with todays smokeless powder, the powder is fully consumed in a barrel of 20-25 inches and the velocity will start dropping as soon as the propellant is fully consumed.
RELH

I'd go with the 26" Bbl.
26" should be a quick swing'in rig. 28" is kinda a "tweener", if you want a longer sight plain, then go for 30".
I think w/ today's shell offerings 26" is a good length.
Good luck w/ your decision! :D

Most single trap guns have 34" barrels. Most trap doubles are 32". Most sporting clays guns are 30". Short barrels point quicker. Long barrels offer a longer sight plane, and theoretically are easier to point precisely. I'm not buying that long barrels sacrafice velocity, although the game I play limits MV to approximately 1250 fps, considerably slower than "magnum" field loads.

Personally, I would have no problem using a long barrel for waterfowl, especially passing shots.

The ammo makers claim that you pretty much have full power/velocity in 14 inches or so of barrel so power won't increase substantially with extra length ove the leglly required 18" minimum.

Pattern is controlled by the quality and dimensions of the bore and the choke tubes so again length isn't a big factor.

Feel or handling is is key here. Shorter barrels usually handle quicker for most people on flushing or jump shooting game but longers ones seem to track more smoothly for more deliberate shooting.

I have gone from 30 and 32 inch barrels to 26 and 28 inchers. I shoot just a well (or poorly) with them as I ever did with the longer ones.

Hope this helps.

i am glad this was asked, i just bought a weatherby with a 30" full choke barrel. i mostly hunt quail, dove. it is a duck gun so i was thinking about gettin 2-4 inches of the barrel shopped off when i take it to get tapped so i can change chokes in it. i took it grouse hunting this past weekend and smoked a grouse with it no problem. i am a big boy and the gun shoulders really well for me, i wonder if i cut it down a schosch will that change for me?
Casey

I have shot both the 28" and 26" as well as a 24" and all have their benefits. If you have any trouble following through I would look at the 28". The 26" is going to be somewhat lighter and swing easy but is a little harder to continue with the swing. I am currently shooting the 26" barrel on a Stoeger Model 2000 and I love it. My 870 Express with the 28" killed a lot of chukars for me though. It is a tough decision but I like the 26" just because it is a little lighter. The 24" is really easy to swing but it is harder to maintain you swing and is a little to short for me.
Hope this helps and good luck on your decision!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom