Shotgun Shells for Coyotes

B

balz

All you Veterns out there. What size of shell should I be using for Coyotes. I carry my rifle but want to start carring my shotgun also for those ones that come in real close. Any suggestions???

The 2 that I've used most often are 3 inch #4 Buck and 3 inch BB shot. If I were you I'd steer away from any kind of steel shot its not my favorite for coyotes. I also shot a full choke with the buck shot and an extra full with the BB. Good luck choosing a load that works best for you.

Don't use the Dead Coyote! I bought it thinking it was going to be great, but it sucks! Coyotes get up and run away with a full choke! Maybe somebody else has better luck with it, but I sure didn't! #4 works great!!!

I have had nothing but outstanding luck with dead coyote, the past two years in a short range weapon area I'v taken 32 dogs and only one got up to run.

Well, I am glad they work for somebody! Like I said, maybe somebody else has better luck with them! Just not me!

I use 12 gauge 3 inch #4 Buck also and it works good out to 80 yrds in my Mossberg riot gun.

I use a remington SP-10 with 3-1/2" #1 buck. Very leathal to about 70 yards, farther too but not 100%. Under 70 they don't have a chance.

JB

Dead coyote is best when you are limited to a shot size outside of deer season. If it is deer season i'd use some kind of buck shot since it is cheaper. In AR right now you are limited to T shot since only squirrel season is open. Dead coyote is hevishot in size T.
cold dead hands

I also have tried the "dead coyote" and have had them get up and run off. I have since started using a #4 buck chambered in a 3 1/2 and have not had one get up since. It is far cheaper to shoot than the "Dead coyote" also.

I would do a search on IowaOutdoors on this subject.There are some guys on there that have done some testing on this very topic that you might find interesting.

I shoot a browning 10 ga, with my own load's useing 30 or 36 cal round balls, bufferd with #4,s, i think 00 buck is about the same dia.i use these muzzle loader balls because an ol boy gave me about 100 pounds of them he made about 50 years ago, and they work out to 60+ yds.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom