Sight in Rifle Help?

WIDOW_MAKER

Was wondering if anyone knew where I could take my gun to get sighted in around Utah/Salt Lake County areas. I am trying to find a place like the Holladay Gun Club where they would sight it in for you.

Thanks

WIDOW_MAKER

I'd sight my own gun in but that's just me!
They/Gun Club can't adjust for my Trigger Jerk!:D

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

I'd sight my own gun in as well. However if you want someone else to do it you can go to the Lee Kay center in SLC on 2100 so. and 5600 w. I'd call first to see when they're open. It seems every time I want to go there they have different hours of operation, it seems to change weekly.

No estas en mexico ahora, entonces escoja tu basura
chancho sucio.

Try the Lee Kay center but, get there early and plan on spending some time the range's are pretty busy. There was a waiting list just shoot. The guy that sights guns looked pretty busy also.

As stated, no one can absolutely sight in a gun for you. They can get close, but you will pull the trigger, flinch, twist the gun, etc. differently than any other person.

They will get it close, but after they sight it in, you should shoot and may need to adjust the scope to your specific quirks.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Ah hell, just bore site it and hit the mountain running! :D Site it in yourself and get aquainted with your weapon. I talk to my gun. We are on a first name basis. I give it a little rub down and kiss it good night after I shoot it.

It's always an adventure!!!

It's alright with me if you have someone else sight your gun in, however, it is the very best way to learn about your firearm, bullet characteristics, the unique trigger breaking point of this specific gun, learn to make sight adjustments, etc, etc.

However if you go ahead and have someone sight it in for you, you MUST agree to go to the range and shot 500 rounds at 100, 200, 300, and 400 yards.

It's that or take the scope off, remove the front and rear sights and just point it in the general direction and yank on the trigger. You'll have the same results. ;-)

DC

I've sighted in several more than a few guns for other people and must agree it's not the best way for the gun owner to go.

But, in most of those cases, their guns ended up far closer to dead 2" high at 100 yds when i did the deed than they were ever going to get if they tried to do it themselves. Not saying that having someone else do the work is the best way but in certain circumstances, there are some counter points to be made or maybe even some advantages.

Joey

If your a lefty and a righty sight it in for you. I will call miss on your first shots.

I know time is a factor but sight it in your self.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-10 AT 07:25AM (MST)[p]Widow-maker.If you have'nt made your mind up yet.
Call Boses Gun Smithing and talk to the owner Rob.

Very knowledgable,after talking with him I sent him 2 guns,1 to be sighted in the other to be redone.Also if you haven't bought the scope,mounts etc,don't he can hook you up and for alot cheaper.I wish I knew that at the time.

Tell him I told you to call.
888-695-2673

Good Luck Joe.

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you think their right"

-Joe E Sikora

>Was wondering if anyone knew where
>I could take my gun
>to get sighted in around
>Utah/Salt Lake County areas.
>I am trying to find
>a place like the Holladay
>Gun Club where they would
>sight it in for you.
>
>
>Thanks
>
>WIDOW_MAKER

Let me guess, you're shooting a magnum?...

I took my gun to the Holiday Club and let them put it in the vise and sight it in. $10 and 5 shots later it was done. Then I took it out and fine tuned it for me. Well spent $10. If someone knows of anyone with vise like that ti would be nice to know.

AWHOLELOTTABULL, I knew I wasn't the only one who talks to my gun... I can't say I kiss her goodnight. My wife already thinks I'm crazy for asking my gun to shoot a little more to the left, or a little higher, or to hold steady. I'd be sleeping on the couch if I started kissing her!

As for sighting in... I'd have to agree with the general audience and say it's gotta be done yourself. You can take it to Sportsmans and they'll bore sight it for you, but everyone is going to approach the scope different. The guy sighting it in for you may be approaching from the side and resting his jaw to the stalk or approaches from the top and rests his cheek on top of the stalk. It may not seem like a big difference as long as your eye is in the middle of the sight, but trust me, a 2 inch group @ 200yds can quickly expand to a 5-6 inch group if your personal approach isn't consistent with your scope. Plus, they're no better feeling then to get out to the range, punch some paper at sub moa, and know that you had the skills to do it yourself!!

Had a guy in camp last week on the muzzleloader hunt that missed a half a dozen bucks at spitting distance. About the 3rd day of him coming back and telling us he'd missed again we put up a four feet piece of cardboard at 100 yards with a paper plate taped in the center and he couldn't hit the cardboard let alone the plate. He couldn't say when the last time he actually shot his rifle at a target was.

I know it probably happens all the time, but it amazes me that someone would go on a hunt without at least checking the zero of their rifle (in their own hands) beforehand.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom