Since when....

T

tsquared

does the Sheriff department cruise desert roads checking hunting licenses? We were pulled over to have our hunting licenses check today while quail hunting. I thought it was very strange that this was the case. Anybody else have this happen to them? I personally would rather they patrol residential areas to prevent break ins instead.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-05-09 AT 09:39PM (MST)[p]Interesting...nothing like patrolling for quail hunters while their houses get broken into and their guns stolen and put on the streets.

Wonder if he was trolling for hunters drinking road soadies or if there is poaching going on in your area? And, I didn't know they had jurisdiction to check hunting licenses? Sounds like a pretext to "validate" an otherwise illegal traffic stop to me.

But, I guess that would hinge on the sheriff department's jurisdictional ability to stop cars with people who appear to be hunting for the purpose of checking hunting licenses...regardless, as he is not F&G, a sheriff would have to establish reasonable suspicion to validly "stop" you. They can't just pull people over for the purpose of checking driver's licenses, registration (hunting licenses) etc., the officer must be able to establish reasonable suspicion based on specific articulable facts (usually some type of traffic violation) in order to initiate a "valid" traffic stop. That being said, there may be some sort of cross-jurisdictional agreement wherein sheriff's departments have the ability to stop hunters and check for valid hunting licenses. Anybody know the specifics about this?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-05-09 AT 09:47PM (MST)[p]It was 2 sheriffs out there on quads. I thought they were game wardens at first then saw their badges. By the way we were about 20 miles southwest of Las Cruces where this happened. In the middle of nowhere. Personally I think it's a waste of tax payers money for them to be out there.

they probally get alot of drug smugglers in that area. thats probally why they stopped and check you guys

Seems to me they could "hold" you for G&F if they saw a game violation only? Most places I've been were that way. Only reason that stands out to me would be a "civil" violation of some sort. Drinking, maybe shooting across a road/public endangerment, something like that. If they're cruising for illegals, it would make more sense for them to ask for ID, not a hunting license.

They never asked for Id or insurance. It was me and my 65 year old dad. All they wanted to see was our hunting licenses. Maybe they were looking for drug runners or who knows what it still doesn't sit right. I could see if we were doing something illegal and they questioned us. But they stopped us for no particular reason. When it happened we saw no reason to start asking questions just so we could get to our hunting area.

yea that would bug me too,but im sure they get alot of drugs come threw there and probally illegals too. they just asked for a hunting liscense to see if you out there doing what you say you are. when i was in 2b the sherrifs from the reservation was patroling the unit. dont know if he stopped anyone, but they were driving threw everyday

LAST EDITED ON Dec-06-09 AT 09:31PM (MST)[p]were you in a ford. We got checked to. we were the guys in a grey z71 that passed yall down the fence line right after you got checked. I didnt think they had the jurisdiction to check licenses? they said they were looking mainly for drug runners. But they hounded pretty hard to see if we were drunk because our bird box that day was a empty coors box. In all honesty thats a wasit of tax payers money. The feds have plenty of support out there with blimps and drone jets. no need for two guys on quads drivin around gettin the local hunters all shook up.

"you can't eat the horns..But theres a hell of alot more meat on a big ole buck than a forky" Frank Waters

Bloodhound we were in a black Jeep that was pretty muddy. We passed the guys in the white Ford after we got checked.

wow!! that is strange! it is new to me! I don't go way south often since I am in north in Santa Fe. sorry it happened to you!

any birds pic to show?

vinihunt

there was three of us and we wound up with 24.... we probably should have had two limits for sure.

"you can't eat the horns..But theres a hell of alot more meat on a big ole buck than a forky" Frank Waters

Last I checked the Border Patrol is in charge of drug runners and illegals. The DASO needs to stick to the populated areas where like you say, houses are getting broken into. I know where you were hunting and I've hunted there several times as well as spent a lot of time working out there. Drugs and illegals are not as big an issue there as the northerners and NMHUNTER would lead you to believe.

Point is the DASO is not trained in game law and does not need to be out harrassing hunters.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-07-09 AT 06:58PM (MST)[p]if they arent looking for illegal and drug runners, then why are they out there san pat??? . if the drugs and illegals arent that big a deal why do they have check points outside LC

I have spent many days out in this part of the state and have yet to run into anybody other than hunters. Illegals are the responsibility of the Border Patrol and drugs are everyone problem no matter where you live. My point is the neighborhood where my parents live has had 4 houses broken into in 2 weeks. There are only 10 sheriffs patrolling the whole county at any given time. Do we really need 2 out in the desert harassing us hunters who are not breaking any laws?

NMHUNTER there is no reason to get your feelings hurt. Nobody is denying that drugs and illegals come through El Paso and travel through this area. That's why the Border checks are set up north and west of Las Cruces. But like I stated earlier drugs are everywhere and all of our problem.

Bottom line I believe that the sheriffs being out there is a waste of tax payers money! What's next the State Police checking hunting licenses too?

Well I will have to give my two cents in on this one. All law enforcement within the state are to uphold and enforce all state laws including game laws. This would include the Sheriff's and the State Police.

As for seeing Sheriff's and State Police along border country, this will not end. The Federal Gov't gives the police agencies money to assist in Border Duties. This is not a New Mexico thing. Californnia, Arizona and Texas do this also. With the rise in border violence, all the hunters that frequent those areas should applaud the presence of law enforcment in those areas.

If you are not involved in any illegal activities, you have nothing to worry about. They will stop to see what you are doing and you will be on your way.

I don't know what the reason for the particular stop was. If they believed you were hunting, they have the right to make sure you are hunting within the law: Checking Licenses, ect.

As you can probably tell from this I am law enforcement, and have written plenty of citations to hunters/fisherman breaking the law, and I am not with the NMDGF.

I do feel for you all that feel there needs to be more visibility in the residential areas to reduce crime, but don't past judgement to law enforcment in the field when you might not have all the facts.

Im not disrespecting the officers at all. the officers were doing their job. As far as facts go, I had a predator drone jet fly over my head while I was on a covey a quail, and saw over ten border patrols out that day. Statistically the border patrol with there blimp, and drone jets and all there ground cover have all the help they need. statistically the drone jet had probably already checked all of the hunters in 20 minutes that the sherrifs did on the four wheelers all day. There is plenty of enforcement out there already. I dont see why the government would fund the county for that kind of help when they do not need it. So, stick one game warden out there and let the sheriffs stick to more urban cases.

I can see what you say there truck1 about being glad they were there. I just didn't know that they had the right to pull people over for no reason other than to check licenses. What would they do if we were to tell them we were just rabbit or coyote hunting. Since we don't need a license to hunt them or coyotes. Do they know the game laws enough to be able to just let us go or would they write us a citation for no license? To me they already have a lot of things on their plate to be worrying about hunting licenses. There is nothing wrong with another set of eyes out there. How about having some kind of phone number list available with info in case hunters see something suspicious. I'm sure there are numbers somewhere and maybe they can be put on the back of licenses. Just brainstorming maybe you can pass this info on. Personally I think that the drug runners have prior knowledge of any type of sweep that may be going on.

Like I said in the first message. I was not there, so I don't know what caused them to initiate contact. It could have been a number of things( saw you hunting, minor traffic violation), whatever. Without knowing what they stopped you for I can't give a further opinion on the stop.

If you did tell them you were just rabbit or coyote hunting, then I would not see a need to check for a license. But keep this in mind, don't asume that Sheriff's and State Police Officers are not knowledgeable about game laws. Many are well versed in the Game and Fish statutes. It may not be their primary duty, but many officers I know, including myself are knowledgeable and do inforce game laws.

Just FYI, the border county is getting more dangerous. It is not just what is coming into the U.S., but it is also what is headed south of the border. The biggest threat on the border is the number of guns taken across the border INTO, yes INTO Mexico. These are weapons that have been stolen hear in the States by criminals, usually through the drug trade, and are traded into Mexico.

The gun runners use the same routes as the illigals and drug dealers use to cross the border. These are the same guns responsible for approximately 2000 deaths in Juarez this year alone.

Ponder on this. With the above mentioned burglaries reported, I wonder how many guns have been stolen in the local area. What if, just what if, the Sherrif's obtained information that stolen guns were being taken south across the border in that particular area, by people possing as hunters. Opps, I just might have given the criminals an idea on how to further conceal they way to get guns south of the border.

As for reporting stuff, there is a number you can call, 911, if you think it is an emergency. If it is something you just feel wierd about, or it gives you an uneasy feeling, there is usually a non-emergency number listed in a phone book. I know hunters usually don't take phone books with them, but that number is something to think about when planning your next hunt. I will pass along the info to the NMGF in regards to putting phone numbers on the back of licenses, but with so many areas around the state, I just don't think it would be feasable.

Whoever hunts the areas along the border, have happy, SAFE and rememberable hunts. I used to hunt that county alot growing up.

TT

The thing that initiated the stop was us driving up on them and they got off their atv's to check our license. We weren't even hunting yet.I do understand that the biggest gun trade is from the US to Mexico. Wouldn't it make sense to try and avoid the break ins or try to deter people from breaking into houses rather than deal with the aftermath? For one the criminals are usually a step ahead of anything that may be planned to catch them. Whether we like it or not they get tipped off from different sources as to what is going on. A second thing is calling 911 isn't gonna do much for anyone due to the limited number of sheriff officers on duty. I was told that at any given time day or night 10 officers are on duty. It took officers 45 minutes to respond to a suspicious person in our neighborhood because the officer responding had to go from Anthony to Dona Ana. Honestly I don't think calling from the middle of the desert is gonna be any quicker. This isn't a argument about who knows more and who is ignorant. I would rather see the extra officers on the streets to help deter the criminal element rather than cruising the desert on atv's checking hunting licenses.

4b20fb5c565ce979.gif

How about this; instead of bitching about it say thank you for putting their life on the line to protectiing the the things you love. With out someone patroling the woods and feilds there would be no quality animals becuase there would be a bunch of @$$ holes out there poaching the animals you love... Thanks to those deputies, wardens and other leo officers.

Actually, I would think it would be a good opportunity to ask if they had seen any coveys.

Most times they are pretty nice and may turn you on to some coveys you dont know about if they are cruising the desert on their ATVs.

haha i actually did... but they said we had the most quail out of any of the hunters they had checked. we did go check out an area that they had seen some earlier but nothin when we went over there.

NMPaul we asked them if they had seen any coveys and they said they hadn't seen any. But they heard shooting. It was also pretty cold in the morning so I think the quail were not moving til it warmed up some.

Hey PIG I don't remember anyone really bad mouthing any law enforcement. I think that they are overworked and underpaid for the things that they do day in and day out. I just found this thing odd and was wondering about it. You can call it what ever you want it is your right to think that way. As its my right to voice my opinion about it. But like I posted before this is nothing to get your feelings hurt about.

Oh one last thing SanPat don't let PETA see that cartoon. It may cause a influx of messages in your inbox from them. Personally I got a good laugh from it. I guess I am easily entertained by off the wall type of things.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom