sitka gear

I bought some last season and that camo by far is the best stuff out there. I had several elk and deer walk right up to me without seeing me and i didnt even use any sort of scent away. By buddy has a set to and he was calling for me about 40 yards back and when i would turn to locate him i could not see him until he started waving. Remember the forest pattern sitka is for tree stand hunting and optifade is ground hunting.

I bought some and they are just another pair of pants. I won't buy another pair as there is no way they are worth the price. I've had elk in 34 walk just as close to me in unit 34 in blue jeans and a t-shirt as I have with sitka. If you are down wind and concealed well enough its all the same. If your standing in the wide open its all the same again. But if you buy into the camo and scent lok thing then so be it everyones different I just personally dont see a need for camo and it has never affected my success rates be it DIY or guided for elk on public lands. Killed my biggest bull of 386 in utah on public lands in a t-shirt, tennis shoes, and blue jeans.

Best Camo on the market, especially since the maker or gore tex makes it get it pricey but worth every cent...

Feels good, wears nice, the ascent pants keep you cool and the winter pants keep you warm without bogging you down, but, it is not anywhere near durable.

If you are hunting the desert much, in brush, sitting on rocks, crossing barb wire fences it will shred on you. It will fall apart quicker than denim.

If I can buy it at less than half the retail price I pick it up, but, would never pay full retail.

I buy it cheap knowing that it will last little more than one season.

I have about every article of Sitka gear there is. I'd say there are good products and so-so products. Part of having so many is that they make so many different systems and I wasn't sure what to buy. I think their base and mid layers are great. Their outer layers are good for the active hunter. I will say this about their Stormfront and Coldfront clothing...it is loud. I recommend it, particularly for a certain style of hunter in certain conditions (ie, I wouldn't want to be on a sheep hunt in a storm in jeans, tennis shoes, and a t-shirt).

>I bought some and they are
>just another pair of pants.
>I won't buy another pair
>as there is no way
>they are worth the price.
>I've had elk in 34
>walk just as close to
>me in unit 34 in
>blue jeans and a t-shirt
>as I have with sitka.
>If you are down wind
>and concealed well enough its
>all the same. If your
>standing in the wide open
>its all the same again.
>But if you buy into
>the camo and scent lok
>thing then so be it
>everyones different I just personally
>dont see a need for
>camo and it has never
>affected my success rates be
>it DIY or guided for
>elk on public lands. Killed
>my biggest bull of 386
>in utah on public lands
>in a t-shirt, tennis shoes,
>and blue jeans.

+1! It's not about the camo, it's about being down wind and concealed!

Off range...
4173330-R1-036-16A.jpg

... or being a good long range shot! LOL!

LAST EDITED ON May-06-12 AT 09:49PM (MST)[p]Sitka Gear... Great gear if you want to stay comfortable covering country on foot. I think of it as the Patagonia gear of the hunting industry. But, I would do my homework online before buying any. As mentioned above, if you do some searching you can find some killer deals on the Ascent and 90% lines, both of which are my favorites for New Mexico.

Gripes: I like the Optifade pattern, however it can show brightly, almost reflecting in direct sunlight. But, most camo looks awful when it comes walking across an opening in broad daylight. Sitka gear stinks...especially when you are covering country in New Mexico after the temps warm up. Sweat in it for a day and you will stink...however, Sitka does have a merino wool line this year and for a bottom layer, you can't beat merino wool in terms of insulating, cooling AND mitigating stink factor (debatable, but my opinion). Check out Kuiu camo as well, Jason Hairston founded this line after selling Sitka. Much more affordable and stinks less than Sitka. Love the lightweight merino wool layers for hot and cold weather hunts, but I'm not sold on the camo pattern. In fact, until someone comes out with a complete cloaking system like the predator, I will probably stay in the shade, off the ridgelines and out of the open. Plaid jackets and cigarettes work just fine for some of the best monster killers so go figure...

-Cody

www.streamflies.com

Biohazman

+1 +1 +1 +1

You da man! maybe I'm judgemental but I definitely judge a book by its cover. If I saw you in the field like that we'd be best friends. You look like you know how to hunt, get it done, and don't care what others think about you in the process.

Its kinda like going to the gym. If I just got out of church and wanna go in my church clothes then I go when the mood hits me. I may get strange stares but the gym aint about how you look its about what you do.

Ever see those hunters that get all camo'd up the moment they leave their house 1000 miles away? Well I have and I seriously wonder if the animals eyes are that good! Anyways, your my type of hunter.

My motto, lace up your tennis shoes, put a bottle of water in your back bocket and a pbj in your front pocket, 5 shells in another pocket and your gun over your shoulder. If your lucky you might make it back to the truck the next morning. screw looking pretty just go in comfy.

Check out the Eastmans article on layering, they compare SITKA to Kryptek, APXg2, and KUIU. Very informative.

KUIU wins the overall score and is much cheaper than Sitka.

There is a lot of truth in what the guys are saying about camo, but if you want some very high quality hunting clothes, KUIU fits the bill.

First Lite has great stuff too. And I have some Kings stuff that I bought cheap that is really nice.

I mix and match brands looking for the stuff I like best.

Grizzly

LAST EDITED ON May-07-12 AT 09:26AM (MST)[p]I do not think the original question was about camo. I think camo is about the least important part of your gear.

As far as hunting clothing it is nice stuff. Does not bind up on your legs. Fits well. Even the cold weather stuff is good to hike in.

My complaint is that after a couple of hunts in brush, thorny sharp rock areas it gets shredded. I have a pair of sitka pants that I have stitched on at least 5 times. Full of holes that I think are to expenive to throw away. They are the cold weather pants and I do not need long johns most often with them.

Agree Grizzly, that was a good article.

However, I have never found any KUIU stuff on ebay cheap. Maybe after a year or two. Lots of sitka stuff reasonable out there.

THanks guys. Paul you are correct. I could care less about the actual camo. Im looking for good clothing that is going to keep me comfortable on my early hunts this year. I drew my first archery elk tag and want to hunt in comfort. Stink, shoes were made for running and the gym, that is the only place I wear shoes. Rest of the time Im in boots.
I will also be hunting with my cousin on the Youth Ibex hunt and know it will be hot. I just want to be comfortable on these two hunts.

>THanks guys. Paul you are
>correct. I could care
>less about the actual camo.
> Im looking for good
>clothing that is going to
>keep me comfortable on my
>early hunts this year.
>I drew my first archery
>elk tag and want to
>hunt in comfort. Stink,
>shoes were made for running
>and the gym, that is
>the only place I wear
>shoes. Rest of the
>time Im in boots.
>I will also be hunting with
>my cousin on the Youth
>Ibex hunt and know it
>will be hot. I
>just want to be comfortable
>on these two hunts.

Sitka Acent pants are awesome for hot weather hunts. They almost feel like your wearing nothing at all.

Just do not count on them lasting very long.

Camofire.com has sales on them occasionally, also watch ebay. I have bought lots of used stuff on ebay and been happy with it.

I bought a pair of ascent pants for about $45 on ebay last year and they have been my fishing pants also. Very comfortable.

LAST EDITED ON May-07-12 AT 07:44PM (MST)[p]Paul and I are plump. We sweat when we hunt. Sitka keeps us cool. The new technical stuff is the cats a$$ when it comes to hunting gear.

Comfort is a big part of what I wear. Can't see the price,let alone afford Sitka. Been wearing the same Cabellas Micro-tex outfitter camo for 8 years. Its inexpensive and works great. Cheeper than Wranglers and the critters can't see and hear you.Just my 2 bits...

camo may not be an important part of long range rifle hunting but i think a nice pattern that breaks up the outline is almost necessary for bowhunting, predator hunting, and turkey hunting. Sitka has a nice pattern but it is xpensive. I like the kuiu stuff it is a little bit less xpensive.

LAST EDITED ON May-07-12 AT 07:34PM (MST)[p]Stanky doesn't wear camo because he only shoots at animals if they are over 800 yards away.

But if you guys haven't checked out High Mountain Outfitters for the best Sitka and outdoor gear prices you are seriously missing out. You can literally buy Sitka gear here for as cheap as you can purchase less expensive brands. Best Sitka prices period...by a Stanky longshot.

-Cody

www.streamflies.com

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom