Sitka vs. Kuiu

G-Hought3

Has anyone on here tried both. What to you like more? Why? What about the backpacks?
bowhunter3,
Go big or go home

I have used both, and so have my buddies.

I would give the edge to KUIU overall. That is based on several factors:

You cannot go wrong with either, but for the price, etc.

I would buy KUIU.

Packs:
This is like comparing apples to oranges. Both are very good, but serve slightly different purposes and are for a little different market.

Hope that helps.

Wore my new sitka for the first time the other day, if they would take it all back I would gladly give it to them. The stitching on the 160$ pants is cheap and came unstiched in the crotch down the inside of my leg. But the airconditioning was kinda nice on the hot hunt lol. Not worth the money..... Better stuff out there for less over 500$ spent this year and not happy.

I just purchased a bunch of new Camo clothes at an Army Navy Surplus store. It's basically the same "digital" camo paterns as Sitka for a fraction of the cost......AND it's made with military specs, i doubt they will "come unstitched".
I'll be field testing them for the next three weeks in elk camp! ;-)

I dont know how sitka can charge so much for chinese made crap!
Is predator or assat made in the states?

I have owned and used sitka for years including a recent 17 days in the Alaska wilderness this year. The materials breathability is 2nd to none but the stitching and construction is not all that impressive. I also had the crotch on my mountain pants come unstitched while sheep hunting in AK. Shredded a pair of ascent pants while hunting oakbrush country in Utah. $300 rain jacket is not water proof. The stuff should hold up better for the price you pay. I understand KUIU is a clone of the ascent. Its a tough call! I love the overall fit, finish and breathability but they need to adress the durability issue if they are going to justify the price.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-15-11 AT 12:09PM (MST)[p]>I dont know how sitka can
>charge so much for chinese
>made crap!
>Is predator or assat made in
>the states?

Asat is made in P.R.C.

Never worn Sitka but I have worn Kuiu pants and i loved them. Everyone I know that has worn both thinks Kuiu is better.

>Anyone had any experience with kryptek?
>Especially their rain gear?

I just ordered the kryptek alaios shirt and pants. I love the shirt. It feels nice and the velcro around the wrists are nice. The pants are a little different. The leggs are longer to hang over your boots, The knee pads on mine are shin pads for me. I have to raise them up and tighten the strap on them to get them where they should be but I doubt they stay there while walking. Im not short so thats not the problem. Im 5'10" and 225. But other than that I like them. The pockets are all over the place

I own both and sold all my sitka.
Kuiu is hands down the best camo I have ever used. Light weight, great quality and the camo pattern is outstanding! I just got back from an antelope hunt and was stranded in a terrible hail storm that never seemed to end. I was wearing the 185 merino wool top and bottoms, guide jacket, attack pants and was very comfortable. The water beaded on the pants and jacket. The wool tops and bottoms are zero itch and dry extremely quickly. The price is good too.
There is 0 comparison between sitka and kuiu IMO. Go with the Kuiu.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-18-11 AT 08:51PM (MST)[p]I have to agree that Sitka is over-priced and mediocre. I have the 90% jacket and pants. If the temperatures get below 55 degrees, I'm cold the entire time I'm wearing them. Also, i have had issues with the zipper pull tabs breaking off.

I much prefer my cabelas micro-tex.

People are saying good things about Kuiu. The problem is supply! I tried to buy some of the pants two months ago and was told they are on back order until the end of November. All my hunts will be over by then. Not an effective business model in my opinion....

I was going to buy some KUIU but I can't get any tell hunting season is over so I am sticking with my Sitka gear. Sitka gear has worked awesome for me.

The only thing I do not like about the Kuiu is the horrible camo patterns. Get some good camo patterns and I will happily buy some.

I purchased some core 4 element gear in the Moutain Mimicry from camofire.com. So far, I have hunted 4 days in the rain, mud and sun and it has been impressive.

There is only one camo pattern for Kuiu. They do make solid colors as well. As for the one pattern, side by side next to sitka, the sitka stands out terribly where the kuiu breaks up the human form and conceals. Just what a camo pattern should do. It may not look like it would do the job up close, however beyond 100 yards it is one of the best camo patterns i have seen.. or i should say couldnt see. Many camo patterns look good to the human eye, but do not work on animals. Imo.

Humm, seeing how the Kuiu is short supply due to selling out so quickly because people like it and it works very well, have you ever had the actual merchandise in your hands? Or have you ever seen the camo at work in the woods? I just don't understand how you could come to that conclusion based on the fact you haven't ever tired it. The OP asked for advice by people that have used both. How can he make a decision on what to get if some just says they don't like, just because. Your entitled to your opinion, but please state why based on experience. If you have not had experience, its difficult to make a sound choice. Its alot of money to go and spend on something.
For what its worth OP, I have had both, wore both hunting in various conditions and found based on my experience, the Kuiu works much better on all fronts. Weight, camo, wind, rain, and snow. The Merino wool base layers are very nice too. Zero itch.
Good luck on your decision.

I can't speak for sitka but I LOVE kuiu! I have the Attack pants Guide jacket and merino wool shirt. Its like hunting in pajamas! Except they are bullet proof. I've been busted or so I thought in the wide open by bucks and bulls this year. The camo works. The pants and jacket are very water proof and dry EXTREMELY fast. I can't wait til they release their gaitors. My only complaint is their lack of inventory. I want more!

Traditional >>>------->

>Humm, seeing how the Kuiu is
>short supply due to selling
>out so quickly because people
>like it and it works
>very well, have you ever
>had the actual merchandise in
>your hands? Or have you
>ever seen the camo at
>work in the woods? I
>just don't understand how you
>could come to that conclusion
>based on the fact you
>haven't ever tired it. The
>OP asked for advice by
>people that have used both.
>How can he make a
>decision on what to get
>if some just says they
>don't like, just because. Your
>entitled to your opinion, but
>please state why based on
>experience. If you have not
>had experience, its difficult to
>make a sound choice. Its
>alot of money to go
>and spend on something.
>For what its worth OP, I
>have had both, wore both
>hunting in various conditions and
>found based on my experience,
>the Kuiu works much better
>on all fronts. Weight, camo,
>wind, rain, and snow. The
>Merino wool base layers are
>very nice too. Zero itch.
>
>Good luck on your decision.

Now that is exactly what I was looking for! I have thought that Kuiu would be just as good as Sitka if not better due to who makes the product. The only thing I wasn't sold on was the pattern I thought it looked really weird but if it works in the field I will definitely wear it! Thanks for the replies everyone.
bowhunter3,
Go big or go home

I love my MNT MINIC ascent pants. I also have the 90% jacket and pants. Good stuff but I would not say it is great and no where worth the price they were askig for it. I bough my stuff on discount from CAMOfire and for the price worth the investment.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom