Sleeping bags suggestions

400bull

Very Active Member
I am in the need of getting a new sleeping bag. The bag that I currently have is a Big Agnes Zirkel 20? down sleeping bag. This has been a great sleeping bag for me and I still love having it for my backpacking trips. I need to get another bag that I can use for my camping trips that has a little more wiggle room in it.

The bags that I have been thinking about getting are the Cabels Summit 0? or the Big Agnes Whiskey Park 0? sleeping bags. Does anyone have any exsperiance with ether of these sleeping bags or suggestions on other sleeping bags to look into?

Thanks

Big Agnes Whiskey Park 0?
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Big-...tt=big+agnes&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

Cables Summit 0?
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...leeping+bags&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

400bull

I've used a ton of bags over the years. From cheap to very expensive. Most have done their job well if used in the proper conditions. A couple years ago I bought a Wiggy's Ultima Thule Hunter -20 sleeping bag. It is hands down the best bag I've tried. I would suggest you give them a look.
Wes

I have really enjoyed the MontBell UL Hugger. The way it streches makes it feel like a bigger bag. 3 years of heavy use and still "waterproof" with no issues.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-11 AT 12:08PM (MST)[p]I also have a wiggys 0 degree bag and It is awesome. I am a bigger guy and I have alot of room in the bag.

i love my "sponge bob square pants" walmart bag, everytime i use it on the front yard, i stay nice and toasty. i dont know if it's made by "big agness" or not, she seems to make great bags, and this one sure seems to be great.

but for 19.99, you really cannot pass up trying it out, best bag i've ever owned!

I have this bag

https://kifaru.net/slickbag.html

It is ultra light and bomb proof!!! I am a very large guy and this has room to spare. I have the 0 degree bag. I got the woobie liner in case it gets really cold it goes down to -10.

Did I mention that there is a ton of room in this bag.

respect my authorita

The summit is a pretty nice bag. Re-designed for this year and has a lot more loft, nice liner. Big Agnes does make a great bag, but for a basecamp/car camping bag I would go with the summit. Roomier, warmer, better liner, and not stuck with a 25" pad.

I have the -20 summit. been using it for about 4 years. i have the largest size they offered at the time and the space is great. I need to be able to move around at night.

The first three years i wasn't cold one bit. Slept in an insulated camper. Colorado third season at about 7000'. Always stored the bags on a hanger in the closet.

this past year was the first year that i felt that it did not keep me as warm as previous years. Hunted OTC bull in Colorado in 2010. Stayed in two different places. Both camps at about 7900'. Stayed inside an insulated camper, same as previous three years, and froze my azz off at the second camp.

After the 2009 season I did store the bags compacted in their carrying bags. First time doing so. Maybe I shouldn't have. I'm from Santa Barbara CA and am not to used to the cold. Had several snow storms come through and if I had to guess I would say the temp dropped to about 5 degrees on the last night we were in Colorado.

This year I'm going to try hanging the bags in the closet at least two months prior to the season to try to restore the loft a bit. Planning on OTC bull in Colorado again this year in the third season.

Hope this info helps a bit.

JimmyA

Thanks for the feed back. I'm still trying to decide what bag I want to get, the more I look into them the more complicated it gets. I know that you usually get what you pay for when it comes to sleeping bags. Unfortunately my wife and I bought into that several years ago when we bought a $50.00 0? F rated sleeping bag. From day one we froze our butts off in those bags. There were several camping trips to my parent's cabin where we slept in the cabin during the summer and still froze. It could not have been colder than 35? on those nights. I want to make sure I get a good bag this time without breaking the bank. I am hoping to find what I want within the $150.00 - $200.00 range.

400bull

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom