Sleeping Bags

couesbitten

I didn't want to high jack someone elses post, so I decided to post another question. Does anyone have any personal experience using one of the X-fibre sleeping bags that are available on the huntbackcountry.com web site? They look like good bags, the prices are reasonable, and the write up for the bags sounds great, but what about the in-field use? How do they stack up against the better known brands? Your help and responses are appreciated. Scott/couesbitten

Coues
I don't know anything about these bags. Over the years I was backpacking I spent a LOT of money buying very expensive light weight bags, some with down and others with synthetic fill. I stayed warm in all of them. After I quit backpacking and started horse packing I went to the cheap rectangle bags for more room and comfort. I buy the heavy ones with the canvas shell and flannel lining, they usually run around $100. I have a bunch of em. I've bought some from Kirkams in SLC and some from Sportsmans Warehouse and I also have a couple made by Slumberjack. They're all pretty much the same. Guess what I discovered..... I stay just as warm as I did with the expensive bags and I don't get as clostaphobic and I have extra money to buy more stuff! So if weight is not an issue save your money and give these cheap ones a try
Wes

Thanks for the response Wes, unfortunately, weight is a concern since I plan to use my new bag on a few backpacking trips this summer and early fall. I do however, understand what your saying about a cheaper bag gettin it done. Scott

Check out campmor.com They have some great prices I just picked up a marmot helium 15 degree bag for 278.00.

Scott,
REI is having their Anniversary sale May 4-13. THey have a real good price for the North Face Cats Meow +20*F of $110, ProLite4 pads for $65, and Seedhouse SL2 lightweight tents for $220.

Doug~RR

That is a steal for that tent!!! They also have Thorlo and Smartwool socks on sale(25% off)at REI.Petzel Tikka Plus headlamps for 24.99. Good Luck

Thanks again to everyone for the replies. I just ordered a Seedhouse 3 on ebay with footprint for $220, from what I've read, I'm gonna love this tent. I intend to use it this summer with just the footprint and fly for some ultra-light packing. And as far as sleeping bags, I still haven't made up my mind, but I'm giving serious consideration to a couple of the 0 deg. X-fiber bags from huntbackcountry.com. Scott

I have an X-fibre Bag from Huntbackcountry. I bought it last spetember and took it on a Backpacking Mule deer hunt in Wyoming. The bag performed flawlessly and kept me plenty warm. We had a nasty Storm that lasted most of the time we were there. The bag fit me really good also. I have broad shoulders and it is the only bag that I have been comfortable in. I have used much more expensive bags that are from the well know Companies and I'll tell you what. That bag did everything and more for me for half of the cost. It made the trip that much more enjoyable and to top it off I killed a 170" Muley on the third day of the trip. I recomend the bag and Huntbackcountry.com to anyone who needs a good hunting sleeping bag.
-Muleyarcher07

Muleyarcher07,
Thanks for the reply, I'm thinking that come the WA high hunt in Sept., I'll have a couple of these bags for my son and I. Good luck in your hunts this year. Scott

LAST EDITED ON May-22-07 AT 04:26PM (MST)[p]Couesbitten,
Not to change gears on you but I went through this last year trying to find the best bag versus weight versus keeping warm. I'm not a huge guy but I get claustrophobia in some if the mummy bags out these days. I really wanted to like the Marmot Helium +15 degree bag becasue of its weight and its rated really high by the folks that have used them - way too small for me. Tried the Slumberjack bags, Mountain hardware, REI bags but they were all too snug. Finally checked out a bag by Western Mountaineering. Its a down bag but they have whats called their Dryloft series that is waterproof - so far it did stay dry when my tent got pretty wet one night - I live in Oregon and we get a lot of rain! Anyway, check out their Badger Super DL, its rated +20 degrees but I know its better than that. It weighs 2lb12oz. Its really roomy 66"/41" at the foot. Its filled with 850+ pure down - its not cheap but really a nice bag. I got it specifically for a backpack hunt this year here in Oregon in a wilderness. Anyway, check out their website, its a nice bag.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom