snow in the elkheads?

thicketmaster

does anyone know if they have had any snow in the elkheads or blackmountain outside of craig? been looking for a forecaster that predicts the weather in the high elevations in colorado. is there one that u can look at on the computer?

I don't know..but I spect not.

I was up in Hayden last week hunting antelopes. I was supposed to be down to freezing. But, it wasn't and it was quite warm.

I am in Grand Junction and right now, the cooler is on in my house. We've had near record heat for the last 2-3 weeks. It is supposed to be breaking...gradually.

It rained last night, and today. I can see 9,500', 10 miles away, and there ain't nothing white up there and it is about 70 outside, so I don't expect to see it soon. What I'd expect is a lot of mud.

John 14:6

We all are praying for snow and cold weather. With the seasons running one week later in this 5 year structure it might help. I'm tired of hunting in the heat and popcorn.

Me too, Beanman.

Last year was the first time in many years that guys had to chain up just to get to camp. Darn near everybody tagged out...course, it was the third year of the last 30 or so that I couldn't go.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

I'll be there also. We haven't had any weather for the last few years. Maybe this year.

Before you die.....Take time to live

Thicket,

I talked to my Father today, he lives in Steamboat Springs, not far from the Elkheads. Snowline was at 8500' in Steamboat. .65" of precip fell in his accurate rainguage at 7000'. He feels that due to the stong SW flow of this storm that more precip would have fallen in the Elkheads (He helped develop an Orographic Precip model for the mountains of Colorado that is pretty accurate). So, possibly there was a significant snow event above 8500' in the Elkheads. At the very least it got wet.

about time for some colder weather. I'm hoping for cold weather in NM for a NOV hunt.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

thanks beanman looking at the lower elevations the forecast for next week is highs in the mid 50s and lows in the low 20s with showers expected. that should be snow up in the higher elevations and this should get the deer to moving. i will be headed that way on the 21st hope we get some weather cant wait.

As of right now at 9:15am chains are required for both loveland pass and berthoud pass going over into middle park. Not sure about chain restrictions on Rabbit Ears Pass but it is listing it as snowy up there. Pretty much every pass this side of Grand junction is listed for snow with many working on becoming snowpacked. Was at timberline in unit 28 on sunday afternoon and it was snowing pretty decent with about 4-6" accumulation on the ground. Down around 9,200 feet there was only really snow on vegetation, downed logs, etc. but the ground was still a little too warm to hold it yet there. Looks like below average temps for the forseeable forecast.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom