So long weatherby!

S

stinkystomper

So I just picked up my weatherby vanguard rifle today chambered in 257 wby mag. I go home n put my Burris scope on it and I'm feeling pretty good. Then upon further inspection I read the side of the action and it says made in japan. I was pissed. I don't take it lightly when an American tradition starts out sourcing jobs to japan. I know California labor is high and all but I've always bought a weatherby because I feel like most things made in America are just better. Granted I do buy European optics and some guns because of the known superiority but this really sucks. I'm used to knowing my gun was made in Atascadero California not japan. From now on unless a weatherby says made in America I'm not gonna buy one. I know u could care less nvb but I'm a little more patriotic than most and am a little disturbed by this. Maybe I'm behind on this but when did weatherby start outsourcing American jobs?

YOU JUST VERLY NOTICE THIS stinkbug?

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

Weatherby rifles use to be made in Germany by J.P. Sauer and somewhere around 1968 or 69 they went with Howa in Japan and have been there ever since. You been hanging around Manny68 too long.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

They started that before the Vanguard model was introduced.
Thats funny, I don't care who you are LOL

I too owned a Japan made Mk 5 in .257 Weatherby mag. Beautiful but heavy piece.

The Browning B-78 i had was also made in Japan. Aside from a mediocre trigger, IMO, one of the finest production hunting rifles ever made.

Joey

Stinkeystomper stated:

"I'm a little more patriotic then most and am a little disturbed by this".

"Most things made in America are just better".

"Granted I do buy European optics and some guns".

Stinky, do you not feel that you are talking out both sides of your mouth about buying American only and your rant is not worth a hill of beans?

RELH

Holy sh!t! My day is made. Thank you slinkyslopper! I didn't even get a chance to post and you've already acknowledged me. It's working.

Stinky....this just ain't your week for California!

First you don't like our wardens now you find out that we didn't make your Weatherby rifle.

You should have stepped up and bought an original Weatherby, one made in South Gate.

"whackin' a surly bartender ain't much of a crime"

I was given one that my best friend won at a local NRA dinner.
I changed out the sloppy trigger to a Timney two pounder, put a used Leupold 4.5-14x40 w/B&C reticle on top and made it an instant buck slayer.
I tested all of the factory offerings as far as ammo goes and found that the 120 gr Nosler Partitions grouped the best out of my particular rifle.
The B&C's reticles match up very well at 200, 300, 400 & 500 yards respectivley.

I killed both of my California Blacktails last year with this rifle.
My first buck with this combo was killed at 336 yards and the second at 500 even.

Though not very sexy, the vanguard is a very affordable unit who's performance far exceeds it's price.

The .257 is my new favorite cartridge, lazer like trajectory with very mild recoil and no excessive muzzle blast.

IMG_2651.jpg

You know us California Commies will shoot anything...

:)

Compared to the other 'MADE IN JAPAN' Brand I'll take the Weatherby every time!

Even the Less Expensive Vanguards are usually Tack drivers right out of the box as HH stated!

They were selling them for 399.00 for quite some time,nothing that even compared was even close to that price!

I'm not a fan of anything not made in the USA but GEEZUS!

I know the feeling stinkbug,after Pearl Harbor I still haven't forgot & never will!

Get a Mark V they are made in the USA. I shoot a 300 Wby, and IMO it is still the best 30 cal on the market. I would tell you some of the shots I have made with mine but then I would have to take the backlash of peoples opinions about "ethical" shots. But I hit a coyote running at 450 yards, and that was pretty cool. Anyway the Mark V's are made here.

This is my first vanguard. all I have bought in the past are mark V rifles and I'm used to seeing atascadero california on them.

I had no idea those vanguards were made in japan. Now I know why those rifles are so much cheaper. Guess it will be my last vanguard I ever buy.

I've got the Mk V ultralight fluted in .300 & like it.
It's killed a ton of chit.
I'd love to have one of the black & tan ones in .257 wby though.
OR a McM stocked Remington CDL stainless fluted.
One of those will be the next rifle I buy.

Shoot that Vanguard, I'm thinkin you'll warm up to the sushi shooter once you see how she shoots.

(ditch the sloppy original trigger for a crisp Timney 2 lber super easy swap)

http://www.timneytriggers.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=2

HH

You know the old saying about how its better to keep your mouth shut and have everybody think you're a fool rather than open it and confirm it?

I think that applies here.....

2a0fcsk.gif

This is the history of the MK V rifles:

Pre-Mark V? Weatherby ?Rifles Series # Prefix

FN Belgian Mauser (1949 - 1963)
Mathieu Left Hand (1955 - 1959)
Schultz & Larson (1955 - 1962)
Brevex Magnum (1956 - 1962)
FN Sako Mauser (1957 - 1961)

Mark V?

Mark V? (USA) PFI (1958 -1959)
Mark V? (Germany) (1959 - 1973)
Mark V? Varmintmaster (1964 ? 1973)
Mark V? (Japan) (1972 - 1994)
Mark V? (Japan) (1972 - 1994)
Mark V? Silhouette Pistol (1980 - 1981)

Mark V? (USA)

Mark V? Magnum - 9 Lug Receiver (1994 ? 2002)
Mark V? Magnum - 9 Lug Receiver (1995 ? 2002)
Mark V? Magnum - 9 Lug Receiver (2002 ? 2004)
Mark V? Magnum - 9 Lug Receiver (2002 ? 2004)
Mark V? Magnum - 9 Lug Receiver (2004 - )
Mark V? Std. Caliber - 6 Lug Receiver (1996 ? 1998)
Mark V? Std. Caliber - 6 Lug Receiver (1998 ? 2004)
Mark V? Std. Caliber - 6 Lug Receiver (1998 ? 2002)
Mark V? Std. Caliber - 6 Lug Receiver (2004 ? present)

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

People crack me up.

If everything in your house NOT made in the USA either disappeared or quit working, most people couldn't make it to lunchtime!

Hey stinkbug!

You got any newer Brownings?:D

I have a couple of Browning .308 BLR's one was made in Japan the other was made in Belgium. Both are nice little guns.

Got me thinking.... it took WWII to get the nips & krauts to build us some nice guns. lol

Of course Browning showed them the hard way how it was done.

Slick

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

>I have a couple of Browning
>.308 BLR's one was made
>in Japan the other was
>made in Belgium. Both are
>nice little guns.
>
>Got me thinking.... it took WWII
>to get the nips &
>krauts to build us some
>nice guns. lol
>
>Of course Browning showed them the
>hard way how it was
>done.
>
>Slick
>
>"The Road goes on forever &
>the Party never Ends"

So Slick, to continue with your line of thinking, when we get all thru with all these turdpile Muslim countries, we should expect...what?... camels and goats (and women) that don't shed, or smell bad? LOL!

Good point there Nickman... got to think about that one. Hmmmmm!!! Nope can't think of one good out come on that one unless somebody runs outta sand or crappy attitudes. I will admit however once you get past the mustache those arab women are pretty hot.

Slick

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

Yep, written into the surrender documents that were signed aboard the USS Missouri in 1945 was the clause that the Japanese had to start producing and sending us good quality hunting rifles. They better live up to their end of the deal too or we'll send the marines back to kick their ass again!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-09-11 AT 01:50PM (MST)[p]Bessy said:

"Hey stinkbug!
You got any newer Brownings?"

Easy there Bessy, don't be bad mouthing those Brownings lol.... That's what finished off the elk you found!!

I actually looked at a Vanguard last night. They seem like a good buy for the money!

Bought my 11yr old baby girl a vanguard 7mm-08 youth model the other day for $349.99, I'm goung to let her test drive it today, I hope the accuracy is as good as you fellers say it is, cause these rock chucks are in for a bad spring if it is!!!!

Hey woodruff!

Not knocking your Browning!

Just wondering if stinkbug is gonna do an Inventory and give all the JAPAN weapons away?:D

>Hey woodruff!
>
>Not knocking your Browning!
>
>Just wondering if stinkbug is gonna
>do an Inventory and give
>all the JAPAN weapons away?:D

LOL Bessy....

He's trading in that Lapua for a 300 win mag....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom