Solar: Coming to a Winter Range Near You!

Where does RMEF, MDF, BCHA and SFW in all this?

And to think you didn't correct my BCHA reference....

I went to a winter range meeting in Kemmerer a few years ago and they kept bringing up how the oil field was affecting the deer migration. I asked them why they didn't add solar fields and wind farms into that also. They said they hadn't ever thought about those being a issue...... I'm not sure about you but I'm pretty sure a solar field will mess with migrations more than anything. They cry about a sage brush being ran over because it'll kill all the sage chickens due to ruining their habitat, then turn around and be ok with solar fields wiping out a entire area. After going to these meetings I think there are more anti hunters in the fish and game than not atleast in the higher up positions.

PS - They = Important Green Pants

Last edited:
I went to a winter range meeting in Kemmerer a few years ago and they kept bringing up how the oil field was affecting the deer migration. I asked them why they didn't add solar fields and wind farms into that also. They said they hadn't ever thought about those being a issue...... I'm not sure about you but I'm pretty sure a solar field will mess with migrations more than anything. They cry about a sage brush being ran over because it'll kill all the sage chickens due to ruining their habitat, then turn around and be ok with solar fields wiping out a entire area. After going to these meetings I think there are more anti hunters in the fish and game than not atleast in the higher up positions.

PS - They = Important Green Pants
These industrial solar farms don't do s*** for the local economy either. At least an oil well or mine pays royalties and you can still graze wildlife around them. Many of these solar farms have critter fences that have holes so small they're designed to keep even rabbits out. If these start being proposed be prepared to fight tooth and nail and not give an inch.

Please tell me how Asian theatre made solar panels improve the USA when the USA can't manufacture their own. Energy dependence... Also the life cycle disposal and life cycle cost with specific interest into socio- economics of the USA economy.

How do we attack this? Do we target specific projects? I went to the link and look at the proposals. It is huge and wide spread. Do we just write in general opposition or do we cherry pick projects we know about? I am against it period and sure hope Biden is gone and we can shut down this progressive bs with the new admin.

Can't do much of anything if they are on private land. Wind farms and solar fields are net losses for wildlife and those pushing them don't care.
Also, what is going on with private land we have no control over influences decisions of what happens on the surrounding public land as well.

There’s nothing to be done to prevent these. I have been upset for years about my favorite hunting areas going to crap with wind and solar and all of the people I talk to weather hunters or not, don’t seem to mind much or just flat out don’t care. I talked to a wide range of friends and others over the years and there seems to be no resistance whatsoever to plans for these. Sometimes it turns political and they make up their mind that I’m against them or hate the idea of them which I’m not. I have no problem with them going up in areas we already messed up like agriculture wastelands or right-of-ways. Even cover your roof or backyard with solar since the homesite is considered developed to me and not ideal for game to use as a place to be.

One good thing is this will give us something to argue amongst ourselves in the future when we have something else to blame for not seeing a lot of deer or big game permits. This will fit right in with the predator argument we love to pin the decline on.

Can't do much of anything if they are on private land. Wind farms and solar fields are net losses for wildlife and those pushing them don't care.
These are proposals for BLM. We do have a say in what happens there. BLM boasts about their multi use public land goals and solar completely undermines that.

They can't develop on areas that are considered critical winter range or migration corridors. If we can start advocating for more of these designations then those areas are essentially off limits. I believe we need to keep a close eye on projects coming to surrounding areas and let everyone and their dogs know about it. Dig your heels and don't give an inch on these proposed projects.

Here is a specific wind project for folks to look at. This would be in elk unit 124 for reference. Link to more information and commenting links.

1712089849552.png

Get on the BLM site and send comments. I expressed concern about Sage Grouse, Big Game winter range and migration corridors. My understanding is these solar farms are fenced in, which makes it a big deal for game movement.

Get on the BLM site and send comments. I expressed concern about Sage Grouse, Big Game winter range and migration corridors. My understanding is these solar farms are fenced in, which makes it a big deal for game movement.
You are 100% correct. They are completely isolated off from the surrounding environment. NOTHING passes through them.

Bottom line is in today’s F’d up world most don’t care ……… it’s all about big money and power ! It’s a shame, might be able to slow it in some places but I’m pretty sure we’ll never stop it entirely !!! Sad but true…. we are going to end up the minority.

What do the locals say about these projects? Environmental Justice is part of federal permitting and minority areas such as rural USA have a voice. What is the long term socio economic impacts to the region? If it includes any federal permit they must choose the least environmentally damaging practicable alternative (LEDPA) that may include life cycle and manufacturing processes. It it's made in China there are substantial accumulative affects.

County's may adopt moratoriums on wind and solar. Several countries in Colorado have in response to issues like this.

Screenshot_20240402-184848.png

Correct me if I am wrong but these are being done through the BLM resource plan which means these would fall under BLM lands. I agree not much we can do about private lands but the information linked is about BLM projects.

Public or Private Land they will need to tie these large projects into the grid and will need federal permits. Just need to pay very close attention to the legal processes that are posted. Where they are posted is not something I fully know other than the Federal Register.
https://www.federalregister.gov/

An article about permitting for renewable projects.

Gee. I was told BHA supporting a bill to bring development of renewals onto public land would "give them a seat at the table"

Unfortunately, that was the children's table.

Good job by BHA running cover for the most obvious outcome of gov policy ever.

Best you can do is delay it for a while, but you will never stop it, not even one single solar panel, or windmill.
I hate to sound so negative but they are very persistent and have unlimited funds to throw at these projects.
And they will never stop until they get their way.

I wish you all the best of luck, yer gunna need it.
You might want to check out a Facebook page called stop lava Ridge, I have no doubt these people will be able to give you some great advice on how to go about at least delaying
these projects for as long as possible.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom