Some credit due~

RioHuntNutt

Be careful now,next year they are going to push the dates back to early June and release at the back end of May where they control when its released without overloading a backdoor effort that programmers stay busy trying to seal up. They want to be consistent and a 1 month turn around is pretty dang fast in my book and every year some guys just wont draw and so not all are happy. Believe me the G&F wants our business and wants a great relationship with NM outdoorsman, but they had to keep working to keep this lottery system a smooth and fair operation. They don't have daily meeting with intention of upsetting their customers, but everybody sure has a butt load of crap to speak about the department....SMH...I understand everybody's passion to be in the mountains with a tag in their pack, and yeah there has been early leaks found out and I think its funny too , but man the crap many speak about a department that works their butts off trying to make the draw a great experience for as many as they can gets no credit. I haven't drawn an elk tag since 2008, but I get a land owner cow tag because its possible for me.If Idraw great, if not, o well , I know so many that work to insure its a fair process, and right now , NM big game draw is the best lottery for everybody to have an equal chance to hunt every year, every year....Compare that to other western states.I say hats off to the G&F and all our game wardens working to help us!...Just sayin....RHN

Good post. I believe they do deserve a lot of credit. Over the last few years, the draw process has improved by leaps and bounds. I apply in a lot of other states, and none go as smooth and as quick as NM now does. It takes CO a couple of months to draw, and another couple of months to send refund checks out. NM is doing it in 6-7 weeks, and we get refunds days after the results are out.

Hey, I will give them credit as well. They have come a long, long ways from where they were even just five years ago. Its great they have moved the deadline and the results up earlier and the back door stuff is just all of us trying to get our results as soon as possible.

I hope the tech guys in Santa Fe (or wherever they are) see it as a game and a challenge and not as us complaining. Its kind of like your kids on Christmas Eve trying to talk you into opening gifts early. You can get mad at them and set a sour note for Christmas or you can laugh and have fun with it. You can even wrap up something appropriate (or not) and let them open one gift and really make them crazy.

New Mexico Game and Fish do a great job with all they do. Glad to have a agency that gives us these great opportunities.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-24-15 AT 08:20AM (MST)[p]Totally agree. NM game and fish is doing a great job with there draw process and system, hats off to them! The backdoor stuff is all part of the fun, excitement and anticipation for all of us that are super passionate about hunting and I hope the department knows that and doesn't take it personally. Like stated above, hopefully they use this backdoor stuff as a challenge and as a form of troubleshooting. However, I know if I was working in the dept on this system, I would be a little irked about a few of the complaints or posts I've seen. Not so much here but on their facebook page. When you've worked so hard to get a good product out there for the public, worked to make your customer happy by processing the draw within a month and then some people just make comments that are totally not cool, I'm sure it has to get under your skin at least a little. I think everyone whatever profession they're in, wants to hear they are doing a good job!

Travis

I agree that they have made vast improvements over the years, and it's awesome that we get our results and refunds as quickly as we do. I do, however, really like having the "unofficial" method just to get a little glimpse of what's to come, and it irritated me a little that they put so much effort into closing that off as quickly as they could. I guess my issue with it is that I don't understand the reason for them trying to close the backdoor and close it so quickly. I don't see what it hurts for us to know approximately what we drew a few days early, and seeing the amount of effort they put into shutting down a pretty good portion of the website just to hinder us just irked me a little.

NMDGF has always been really good to me in the draw, and I love hunting this state (you can't find this type of variety anywhere else in the U.S.), but just throw us a bone and let us have our excitement with the "unofficial" results a few days early. It adds to the excitement of this whole process. Keep my money longer if you want to (shoot, CO won't give it back to me for, what, two more months?), but let us have that little glimmer of hope a few days early. What is it really hurting?

>I agree that they have made
>vast improvements over the years,
>and it's awesome that we
>get our results and refunds
>as quickly as we do.
>I do, however, really like
>having the "unofficial" method just
>to get a little glimpse
>of what's to come, and
>it irritated me a little
>that they put so much
>effort into closing that off
>as quickly as they could.
>I guess my issue with
>it is that I don't
>understand the reason for them
>trying to close the backdoor
>and close it so quickly.
>I don't see what it
>hurts for us to know
>approximately what we drew a
>few days early, and seeing
>the amount of effort they
>put into shutting down a
>pretty good portion of the
>website just to hinder us
>just irked me a little.
>
>
>NMDGF has always been really good
>to me in the draw,
>and I love hunting this
>state (you can't find this
>type of variety anywhere else
>in the U.S.), but just
>throw us a bone and
>let us have our excitement
>with the "unofficial" results a
>few days early. It adds
>to the excitement of this
>whole process. Keep my money
>longer if you want to
>(shoot, CO won't give it
>back to me for, what,
>two more months?), but let
>us have that little glimmer
>of hope a few days
>early. What is it really
>hurting?

I guess the risk is if something changes via the audit they do, then there could be some major complaints. So I think the rush to close the backdoor is to lessen the amount of complaints if something changes. I'm with you that I like the backdoor methods because it makes it exciting, but I doubt that's the best way to do business. That being said, because people have already seen unofficial results via the backdoor, I think it would be nice for the dept to send out emails early if they can and definitely don't sit on the results. Not saying they are doing that, but saying getting them out as soon as possible would be good for customer satisfaction now more than ever. If no backdoor had ever been discovered, then the urgency wouldn't need to be quite so high IMO.

No complaints here either. I do believe that posting about the backdoor instead of just keeping it amongst buddies is why we are all here now lol!! I saw exactly what Huntsville drew( thank God ?)but just kept it discrete. It might have stayed open longer if people would shhhhhhhhhh

This is my first year applying for New Mexico. I put my son (youth) in for deer and elk. I put in for elk and I also put my Dad in for elk. I'll let you know what I think of NM next week. :) I'm really just hoping my son draws a tag. It's all the same to me if he pulls the trigger or if I do. My Dad is 70, in good shape and has never shot a bull elk. This is the only state that gives him a legit chance at killing a bull elk.

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Yes, G&F has come a long way in their draw process in the past 7 or 8 years. While their software development team is on the right track, they have a way to go. With some better algorithm development and test verification, there should be minimal time between application cutoff, draw, audit, and publishing results. There are no technical reasons it can not be a fast turn around. They are getting a lot of their software process debugging done by hunters (that find the backdoors) free of charge.

NM draw turnaround and overall system ( equal chance for all each yr) is the cream of the crop in ALL western states. Unfortunately the rest of our state government needs to catch up to NMGF. So tired of our state being 49th in most every other thing our state government touches. Hats off NMGF

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom