South Central Units - 47,54,55,57,56

300Winnie

I have been doing some research on the forum, but can't really find much detail on my question. I am wondering how much the winter of 2010-2011 impacted the deer herds in this general area. I am not from that area, but have looked at the controlled hunts with some interest.

I am gathering that the winter had some negative impact as it appears that the permit levels have been reduced somewhat.

I have a boy that just turned 12 and I'm looking for a hunt to put in for that, if drawn, would give us an opportunity to hunt together while having a decent chance at success.

Any information you can give me about how the deer herds fared the winter two years ago would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

It wasnt the winter impact, it was the wolf impact. We had a very mild winter. Objectives are below normal in many central units for antlered and barely holding for antlerless.

>It wasnt the winter impact, it
>was the wolf impact. We
>had a very mild winter.
>Objectives are below normal in
>many central units for antlered
>and barely holding for antlerless.
>

So you are saying there has been a significant impact on the deer in these Southern Mountain units from Wolves?

These aren't CENTRAL units he is asking about. I don't think the wolf impact has been high, YET, in these areas for DEER. North of here the wolves have been thick.

Sorry I don't have an answer on the weather from two winters ago. The SE corner was hit very hard. Not sure about South Central though.

>>It wasnt the winter impact, it
>>was the wolf impact. We
>>had a very mild winter.
>>Objectives are below normal in
>>many central units for antlered
>>and barely holding for antlerless.
>>
>
>
>So you are saying there has
>been a significant impact on
>the deer in these Southern
>Mountain units from Wolves?
>
>These aren't CENTRAL units he is
>asking about. I don't
>think the wolf impact has
>been high, YET, in these
>areas for DEER. North
>of here the wolves have
>been thick.
>
>Sorry I don't have an answer
>on the weather from two
>winters ago. The SE
>corner was hit very hard.
> Not sure about South
>Central though.

Why is it people think wolves only impact ELK? And yes, once wolves are in an area the impact is immediate. Not only on numbers, but migration, feeding habits, and general lifestyle of the deer. I hunt in a heavy wolf unit and the deer patterns, numbers, and feeding have changed significantly. Now, i drew in a unit with smaller wolf ratios, but the effects were felt immediately. Within 3 years of a small number of wolves in the unit the deer have changed incredibly. If you spend alot of time in particular areas pre and post wolves, you will witness first hand the effects and how quickly it happens.
Just look at the Moose populations for guidance. Yes, these s central mountains are being impacted by wolves. Since hunting has started they have become much smarter and sneakier. Less are being seen out in the open. They are taking more of a Mountain Lion approach to life. Quieter, hiding, ect. Being shot at will do that to an animal.
Two winters ago was rough everywhere. However with neighbouring states deer numbers holding better than Idaho with the same types of winters, i will venture there are other impacts in effect. Wolves being one major key.
Wyoming lost alot of deer two winters ago along with antelope.
Time will tell.

This post was a question about deer hunting in 2012 for a guy and his junior hunter son.

These are the facts.

First, looking at the buck hunts in unit 54 and 55 with lots of tags, both hunter success and %4pt are obviously better over the last three reported seasons(08,09,10) than the same 10 years ago(00,01,02). The draw odds have really gone down, no doubt because of these stats. PS, I used the hunt planner for this, it works quite well if you havn't tried it.

Secondly, the entire Southern Mountains wolf unit, only harvested 1 wolf. Compare that to the central mountains, say south of the Main Salmon, where 166 were killed. http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/hunt/?getPage=121

I remember reading some articles/posts about the stats on the winter kill, particularly a post by the bio on her from Salmon, but what I could find referenced the harder hit areas in the Central Mountains, near Yellowstone I believe, and then in SE Idaho on the Wyo border. Many of those areas were very bad, losing basically 90% of the fawns. So I assume the 2011 hunt stats will be down from the three year ave I posted.

Wolves are hell, and I expect the deer in these areas will learn that the hard way, but I wouldn't keep from putting in for deer this year. Unfortunately, there use to be a Youth hunt that covered all those units in one, but I think it is gone now, replaced maybe by smaller single unit youth hunts the same time?

I hunted 55 in 2010 and had a great time. It would be a great hunt for a kid that doesn't need to kill a 170+ buck.

Thank you to everyone. Great information. I did try to use the hunt planner, but what led to the original question was the fact that even though we are supposed to have our report in within ten days of kill, or end of season the Fish and Game still doesn't have any harvest statistics posted for deer, elk or antelope for 2011.

I was really hoping they would as I would like to see what the winter of 10-11 did to the deer harvest statistics in that area. I agree that looking at 08,09 and 10 makes a person druel at the thought of taking a youngster, or myself for that matter, over there.

There have been a couple of responses directly about 55. Anyone have any firsthand knowledge about 57?

Thanks.

56 is the only OTC tag, the rest are draw hunts. All would be fine for a youth hunt. Access is easy in all units. Expect to hunt in windy weather.

South hills is what most refer to area as. f&g has changed hunts in the area to be more unit specific in there management the area is doing really well after the Murphy fire. more and more elk staying in Idaho year round. i would venture to say wolves are having very little if any impact on the area. south hills and owyhee aren't over run yet! 47 doesn't get the attention 54 does there both great for kids only down side is they run concurrent with regular controlled hunt. good luck!!

I hunt 57 whenever the draw is good to me, my daughter shot a nice 3x3 last year with the youth tag, it is a high success tag but tough to find a monster, the fire in 2009 hurt the unit but it is recovering slowly 55 has been a better unit for large bucks
46cfa7275632b29c.jpg

55 late archery is getting crowded. its a decent hunt on a good snow year, but monsters are hard to find after two rifle seasons...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom