South East Units?

okbow87

Hey there! I'm looking to go on my first diy public land hunt next year(2013). Colorado is not going to be my only option, but I believe I will have better chances of getting a tag in CO in the near future compared to New Mexico. I also understand that a lot of these tags I won't have much of a chance of drawing for another year.

A little back ground on me. I am 25 year old firefighter that is in pretty decent shape. I live in central Oklahoma, and have a lot of experience hunting whitetails in the western part of our state. I go to wyoming every year to hunt on a private ranch I have access too. They outfit, but let me hunt for free, so I usually antelope hunt and leave their deer alone. Although I did buy a deer tag last year, but was only able to hunt a couple days and never saw anything I was looking for... Big management type 3 point, or a large trophy quality deer. Saw lots of 140"-150" young 4 points.

I am interested in some of the south east units. As they are closer to home and I will probably be doing this alone. I don't know that I am ready, or have the equipment I need for alpine/high country hunts. I am really more interested in trying to find a hunt where I can get my feet wet with diy and have fun. I would love to shoot a 170"+ deer, but would be more than happy with any mature deer. I am thinking I would be more comfortable hunting sand hills and lower pinion hills type country. I am also not against shooting a mature whitetail if the opportunity presents itself.

Some of the units I have been looking at are 144 and 145 which should have both mule deer and whitetails and are more of the low country sand hills/plains from looking at aerials in these two units. Also units 85, 851, 84, and 133. All these units seem to have a pretty decent amount of public land, and offer some of the in between low land and high country area to hunt.

I am not looking for anybody's honey hole or anything like that. Just looking for some guidance from other hunters as to which units I should be looking at, and if there are some I shouldn't. I intend on talking to game wardens for that region as well.

Thanks!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom