South of the Ditch Deer Herds...

CraigS

Hey guys you have super tight window to voice your opinion on the new hunt structures. Here is a cut & paste from my blog:

It's no secret Arizona Units 13A, 13B, 12A & 12B are managed for quality & the Mule Deer herds North of the BIG DITCH are monitored closer than a pre-term newborn baby!

Do you hunt Mule Deer South of the ditch?

The Arizona Mule Deer Hunting Guidelines are up for their two year review & the department is excepting & WANTING your comments with regards to management guidelines. If you think Mule Deer numbers & hunt structures are just fine then go turn on the 50" flat screen & stop reading here. If you don't like the current hunt structures, permit numbers &/or deer populations read on...

In 2006 the Arizona Game & Fish Department adopted a new management strategy after a generic survey was completed by hunters. They decided hunters wanted more opportunity & less quality hunts. So, basically that meant they were going to increase permit numbers & decrease success rates. Over a period of time this would allow them to drop the buck to doe ratio to around 10 bucks to every 100 does.

Pre-2006 the Game & Fish set the guidelines in order to maintain a buck-to-doe ratio of 15-25 to every 100 does. Looking at this it may not seem like much difference, but I recently found out when a biologist is trying to accomplish a goal they may let the buck-to-doe ratio drop below the actual low number in order to rule out any trends.

Does Arizona have a HEALTHY population of deer?

"Comparing Apples to Apples
So now you have your survey numbers, but not total population count, so what do you do with the numbers? To explain, let's use an example. Assume you have a herd of pet deer on a farm. Within your herd you have 10 bucks, 50 does and 25 fawns. You neighbor also has a deer herd. His herd has 12 bucks, 70 does and 25 fawns. Which herd is in better shape? Tough to tell from the raw numbers, so we convert the numbers into standard ratios based on the number of does. Bucks divided by does multiplied by 100 equals the number of bucks per 100 does. Fawns divided by does multiplied by 100 equal fawns per 100 does. Trust me on the math. Converting our two deer herds into standard ratios yields:20 bucks: 100 does: 50 fawns for farm #1
17 bucks: 100 does: 36 fawns for farm #2.

Biologically speaking, farm #1 has a healthier deer herd, even though farm #2 has more total deer. Why is farm #1 better? Keep reading."

"Research studies suggest that ratios as low as 5-10 bucks per 100 does are adequate to ensure that all does are bred. Low male to female ratios are not, nor likely have ever been a biological limitation in Arizona?s elk, deer, antelope or sheep herds. Socially, the effects of male to female ratios on hunting experience can be quite different. A deer herd managed for high buck: doe ratios, say 40 bucks per 100 does, would result in a superior hunting experience (high hunter success, high number of bucks observed, high number of older age class bucks) at a cost of limited hunter opportunity (only a few hunters are able to go). Our alternative management units like the AZ Strip and the North Kaibab are managed this way. Conversely, a deer herd managed for lower buck: doe ratios, say 10-20 bucks per 100 does, would result in near maximum hunter opportunity with the cost of a diminished hunter experience (lower hunter success, lower number of bucks observed, lower number of older age class bucks), which is how our standard management units are managed under the current Commission approved guidelines for hunting seasons. If you have never seen our hunt guidelines, they are posted on our website (see link below)." Jim Hinkle Arizona Game & Fish Department

With all of this in mind I can't help but believe our deer herd would be much HEALTHIER if we managed at the HIGH end of the old buck to doe ratio (25:100). In my own opinion it looks like the department & we hunters are not being good shepherds of our deer herds. Seriously, we have the opportunity to increase the health of our overall deer herds by just bumping the permit numbers down a touch!

Desert Mule Deer have to travel great distances to breed.
We have several general deer hunts with draw odds of 70%+ & over-the-counter archery hunts. The opportunity to go hunting is not the problem, the problem is we now have extremely low quality deer hunts throughout much of Arizona & the cost of hunting is at extreme levels. We must all realize that there must be a balance between quality & quantity, as we are dealing with a limited natural resource. Quality hunts will indeed drive up demand, but if you spread out the quality by just a small amount we will see healthier deer herds & happier hunters.

WHY CAN'T THE GAME & FISH SELL ALL THE JAVELINA TAGS?

Most people don't value hunting javelina enough to spend the coin to hunt them in this economy. Again, we need a balance of quality & quantity & I strongly believe MOST hunters don't want to just go hunting, they want a QUALITY experience or else they would just buy a javelina tag or go small game hunting, correct?

I will step off my soap box...

Below I have listed an email address & an email written up by one of my good friends who cares about this situation. If you don't like the current Mule Deer numbers you need to email them by 28th of April. Feel free to cut & paste, but it would probably be better if you used your own words!

"Arizona Game and Fish Commissioners:

I have lived and hunted in Region III for over 20 years and I would like to express my desire to see the Department return to more conservative mule deer management. I realize that there are lots of hunters who feel deer hunting should be an annual privilege, while accepting that bull elk, pronghorn or bighorn sheep hunting will be far less frequent. However, I feel at some point hunters and the Department, will have to accept that because of our current low mule deer populations, mule deer must be managed more conservatively to maintain deer hunting all together.

Deer populations have decreased in Arizona over the last 20 years, for a variety of reasons. I understand that research suggests that the current low buck:doe ratio can maintain somewhat contiguous populations. I believe that this reduced ratio coupled with the lower deer numbers complicates a buck?s ability to breed all the isolated, small herds of does during their short estrus window; leaving yearling bucks to breed does or allowing some does to go un-bred. This would also negatively affect the fawn:doe ratio in these areas.

I have watched the mule deer populations decrease in Region III and experienced the quality of hunts decrease with the emphasis the Department placed on ?opportunity.? I have talked to fellow sportsmen who no longer hunt deer in Arizona because of the decreased quality of their hunt and are beginning to apply for deer hunts in other states. I ask that the Commission please focus management efforts back towards conservative mule deer management and retention of current deer hunters in Arizona.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to consider my suggestions. "

Email them if you care: [email protected]

Craig I agree with everything you're saying, but all our concerns seem to fall on deaf ears. Just the recommendation of adding 5 tags in 13B gets 50 responses and we cant even drum up just a little debate on the rest of the state. Just take unit 10 and 18a for example. Usually both have over 700 rifle hunters a year, not to mention the countless number of archery hunters in there. I know they're big units but c'mon, that's just way too many tags. I don't even go in those units anymore during deer season because its a complete zoo. I think its time for a new survey.

Well I agree with you. I have always thought units 9,10 and several others should be managed for older age class of bucks. I know 9 has the genetics, its just needs the management.

I agree with the comments. It seems like the g&f is looking to increase income and please everyone which in my opinion isn't right and the deer herds will suffer. Just my two cents.

All very good comments. I guess I would like to see the more of the desert herds managed like the kofas, with one a few execeptions. I am also interrested in hearing what others are saying.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-27-11 AT 08:53AM (MST)[p]I can tell you there is support on the commission to make positive changes,..... BUT ..... you have to get up out of your Lazy Boy to make it happen! They need public support to change anything. I can tell you that doing nothing will accomplish just that, the same old over crowded hunting that you want changed. You have to give something up to make things better so that in essence means fewer tags. With little to no predator control we're not doing anything to help ourselves. I spent my time in the trenches fighting city hall so it's up to others to let their voice be heard. NEW BLOOD & FACES DOES WONDERS. You have the commission to do it but do they have the support of the hunters they serve? You have to take the first step to enact change....... NO EFFORT = NO CHANGE..... THE OTHER GUY ISN"T GOING TO DO IT FOR YOU!

Boskee hit the nail on the head. NEW BLOOD is necessary in our wildlife conservation organizations. We need people that will give of their time to go to the meetings, meet with AZGFD etc....Arizona Deer Association along with the other outfits need volunteers to sit on the board. Craig, you would be a great guy. Arizona Sportsmen for wildlife needs help. Volunteer your time and get involved to best help your hunting heritage.............. Thanks, Allen Taylor......

Very good post Craig... The way I see it is the rest of the state fits the bill for just a few units up north.

Gun control is a good aim and a steady rest

Good job guys, keep those emails going. It is getting some attention down at headquarters. I had one of the commissioners call me the day after I emailed them all and he said he was in agreement with more conservative management. The ball is rolling!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-28-11 AT 09:55AM (MST)[p]I would highly suggest that if you take the time to write that you send your letter to a commissioner or the commission. The department takes it's direction from the commission and if enough of you speak out the commission can make it happen. If you go to AZGFD website and click on, inside AZGFD on left side, on the drop down click on commission, there is a list of the commission that will show up at the bottom, click on one and they will all come up with their bio, in their bio you can click on CONTACT ME and send them your email directly. It's easy and it goes to them directly. Let your voice be heard boys! It's your wildlife and you can get them managed the way you want them if you speak up.

AWESOME post Craig.
Unfortunately I saw this post tonight so probably too late to get in the comment period you were talking about.

I lived in Arizona for 23 out of my 24 years. I got into hunting for traditional reasons, i.e. my dad and grandpa and uncles took me and i have a picture on the wall of a teeny kid(me) at ten years old smiling from ear to ear w my 1st muley buck in my hands.

That being said I am now a resident of Colorado and that is in significant part due to the fact that I like mule deer. I just talked to my best friend in the world today on the phone about strategies for his 2011 res(new az res)deer app. After hunting everywhere from the mexico border to the south rim i told him to focus hunting coues' deer because mule deer in any unit that doesnt start with 12 or 13 is a sh!t show.

He agrees because we both love muleys above anything else and find ourselves dying to see a muley buck or pick up ANY deer shed while elk are so frequent and deer are so not.

I know people will say "hey look at this monster in unit blank(9,10,40's etc)" and yes if you work really hard it can be done. BUT.....what hooks a kid on hunting and promises to preserve the most pure and primal sport on earth(hunting)? Yea that would be taking them out at a young age...10 yrs or so. Im sure most people know that they may have forgot about hunting while a teenager and came back to it because of fond memories from youth.

In my opinion the way this can be best done is to have kids hunting BUCKS at a young age. If you live in AZ, are an adult and a good hunter with plenty of time, sure an AZ mule deer tag could be worth it. But for a kid whose time can be taken by instant gratification like facebook, video games, or tv, they need a decent chance at success.

I realize this is a rant but I believe the staple of hunting in the west is the mule deer and especially in states like Arizona where there are not enough elk to go around the kids might have their college degrees and paying dues to the sierra club by the time they draw their first bull tag, strip, or kaibab tag their dad has been putting them in for.

In short I agree with you Craig. A short term increase in "hunter opp" for deer in Arizona may result in long term management of our deer herds by PETA.

-Zac

Zac, it's not too late to get your comment in. There will be public meetings in June so if you feel strongly enough about this a quick email to [email protected] would sure help! I would encourage anyone who feels more conservative mule deer management in AZ would help the future of our herds to email them also.

Thanks for the inspiration Don! I submitted the following tonight.

To whom it may concern,

I am writing to express my concern regarding the current management of mule deer south of the Colorado river. I have hunted and enjoyed the outdoors in northeastern Arizona since the early 1990's and have seen a marked decrease in the quantity of the mule deer, specifically in units 2 and 3A. Unit 3C experienced this same decline prior to the Rodeo-Chedeski fire. I realize that drought and development have played a large role in the decreased deer numbers and how difficult deer management in these units has become for the department. At the same time, the units north of the Colorado river have continued to produce record class mule deer and hunting opportunities. The Rodeo-Chedeski fire has completely changed the habitat in most of unit 3C. This fire has greatly increased the quality of the habitat for large ungulates. It seems an ideal time to consider changing unit 3C to the alternative mule deer management plan. The increased quality of the habitat and change to the alternative management plan should allow record class mule deer to thrive in unit 3C while potentially increasing deer herd numbers in neighboring units. In the past 5 years I have noticed that the rifle tag numbers for unit 3C have increased by over 300% (100 to 325) and the archery tags have reverted back to over the counter status. I strongly believe we should take advantage of the huge increase in quality deer habitat in unit 3C by decreasing the antlered tags and allowing the buck to doe ratios to reach alternative management plan targets. Revenues lost due to the decrease in antlered tag numbers could potentially be made up for with juniors only doe hunts, that would address both habitat carrying capacity concerns and provide much need youth opportunities in eastern Arizona.

All we can do it try...

I know many have been down this road before & thank those that have. I am sure Don Martin & some of the others are very tired of beating their heads against the wall.

Some down at the office believe we are BLOWING smoke. I guess they think OUR perception is skewed, but until they can give us the fawn to doe ratio, a buck to doe ratio of above 25 & a TOTAL amount of deer per unit, I say THEIR perception is SKEWED!

Focker out...

All we can do it try...

I know many have been down this road before & thank those that have. I am sure Don Martin & some of the others are very tired of beating their heads against the wall.

Some down at the office believe we are BLOWING smoke. I guess they think OUR perception is skewed, but until they can give us the fawn to doe ratio, a buck to doe ratio of above 25 & a TOTAL amount of deer per unit, I say THEIR perception is SKEWED!

Focker out...

Is the 20% archery take still in effect? I was led to understand that when bowhunters took 20% of the take that a unit would lose archery time.

On the other hand I was also led to understand that there was no mechanism to restore lost hunting time.
I think that I am going to bring that up.

Congtatulations region I! You now may have an alternative management mule deer unit. Thanks to all of you who took the time to contact the commissioners and/or game branch to voice your concerns about our deer herds. Although I doubt we will ever return to the pre-2006 guidelines, good things can happen when people get involved. Unfortunately region III, being the red-headed step-child of the state, was left out in the cold. Seems strange to me since region III had the highest attendance, by far, (30 in Kingman and 25 in Prescott) of all the meetings. Especially given that region III has almost all of Arizona's huntable big game species and a significant percentage of the hunting opportunity for many of them. This has prompted me to email the commissioners once again. If any of you feel the same way please let them know.

Just a comment or two on this subject. Number 1, keep up the fight guys!

Having lived in Region III since 1972 I have personally seen the rise and fall of the deer herds in northwest Arizona.

I remember one time way back I think there were over 2,000 deer tags in Unit 16A, and guess what? You saw deer all over the place. All you need to do to kill a decent 4 X 4 was get out of the truck and walk over one ridge from a road.

Now trying to find a mature buck there, even during the so called rut, is hard to do. Its a shame when you see fat forkies and little dwarfy 3 X 3's with the does in late December and January.

I fully support your efforts and commend you for taking the time to do your homework and presenting your case like you have.

What you ask for does in my opinion, have merit. I thought the case you made was good at the Region III meeting, and yes, it sure seemed that all in attendance that night were on the same page as far as deer management in the region was concerned.

Make some more calls and keep sending e-mails to ALL the Commissioners and to Brian at Game Branch and MAYBE you'll see some results.

Hard to believe there are more deer tags issued this year in the Hualapais (Unit 16A) than for the early Kaibab hunt!

And Unit 10, are you kidding me? 600 tags, PLUS a juniors hunt! Wow...

Nope after I draw my next and last Strip deer tag (13 points now!) it is the desert with a muzzleloader for me.

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

Don, do you think if everybody boycotted Region III and simply not hunted it for deer, would that help get the point across and help the herds? It seems to me the peoples voices are falling on deaf ears.. I do feel bad for you guy's.

No, that would never happen, especially in and around Kingman. Nope some folks just want to go even if it is a bad deal.

Don Martin

LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-11 AT 04:09PM (MST)[p]Thanks Don, I figured that would be the case..Well good luck to all of the Region III hunters out there. Hopefully in the future the commission will give in a little.

Its 3a and 3c. Kind of out there. Anyone know why they choose that unit? I didn't even know the 45s were alternatively managed until this was brought up guess cuz I don't live around there and I never heard of it being any good. Can anyone say if the 45s are a good hunt and will it work to alternatively manage those units?

Just ask the Scott Brothers about those units and the bucks they see and kill!

Course it is not an easy hunt, and low deer densities, but from the photos I've seen of some of the bucks they have whacked, oh yeah, its for real!

Don Martin

If you know what your doing the 45's can be a trophy hunters paradise. Click the link below and look at the 11th pic down titled " Big Southwest Muley"

http://www.boone-crockett.org/news/trophyWatch_month.asp?area=news&year=2006&month=2

Here's a buck we took from 2010.

4049edit4.jpg

Big buck are there man its hard to locate them. You guys have done your research.

quest

Dang those are some nice bucks! Maybe they will start getting some monsters out in 3a and 3c.

Its no secert deer herds are low, I would rather see less hunters and more deer I have been drawn many times, however each year it is getting tougher to stay away from other hunters and find deer.

Trophy bucks personally are not my concern, I would rather just enjoy the hunt and see more deer.

Just an opinion

Here is an opinion.....just an opinion. I actually hunted three of the 40's units, one I had a tag in & the other two I was a buddy hoping to see a nice buck taken. Guys, there are no fawns with the does, period. I am sure this may apply to some of the other units discussed above too. At some point something needs to be done about the coyotes. We saw groups of more than 6 dogs together in more than one unit this year. Until the game managers take this seriously, fawns (your big bucks down the road)are going to keep getting hammered.

More than any other factor (at least in the 40's units), that is your number one problem. If you don't think so, spend a week out there & listen.

Simple math.

Many excellent points have been discussed. The predator factor has been proven at three bar. With so many of the untits having 500 - 600 tags it is obvious that is managed for opportunity and a disregard for the quality of the population. I have been in unit seven on elk hunts and scouting to see little forkies and spikes and wonder how many will survive the upcoming season. I sure hope that there is a change in goals and objectives for AZGFD.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom