Southeast Utah deer hunt

• Thread starter Young hunter (Guest)
  • Start date
Y

Young hunter (Guest)

My dad has been putting me in the last couple years for deer in a couple states and we drew a tag in the southeastern hunt unit of Utah. Being my first big game hunt, I'm hoping for about anything and my dad is hoping for a 3 point or bigger. My dad can't take much time from work and it's a long drive, so we aren't sure if we will go scouting before the hunt, but if we do does anyone know a good spot to atrt looking. My dad said he wants to hunt the southern most part of the unit if possible. Thanks for any help you all give. I'm very excited about the hunt and got my fingures crosses for my first ever deer. Bye!

I to drew the southeastern unit in Utah, And I also have never hunted this area, But I called Utah Game And Wildlife Department. I spoke with the biologist in that area, and he was able to answer any questions I had. After speaking with him I chose to hunt the San Juan Abajo. Im also not going to be able to scout, because I'm driving from the San Bernardino Area in California. Anyways I hope this information helps you out a little. Good Luck Hunting!

MAX RAMOS
GREEN VALLEY LAKE, CALIFORNIA

I hunted the unit for the first time last year, driving out from N.CA. We hunted above Ferron. I located about a square mile where many does were hanging out. Opening morning there was one "alpha" buck with 18 does and I shot him. He was 4x3 and 17 inches wide. No giant but it was the only buck taken in our group of ten, and they were ready to shoot even a forked horn after the first few days. Very few hunters filled tags there last year, the weather was warm and the moon was full and the hunters were many. I recommend hunting the edges of the quakies (quaking aspen) groves at first and last light, and only hunt where you see fresh sign. Good luck and tell us how you do.

I leave Friday for Wyoming antelope and deer, can't wait!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom