Speed Goat Unit 52

lovehunting

First of all Congratulations to everyone that drew tags.

My son drew 1 tag out of 4; we are blessed to have this tag as he has always wanted to Hunt Antelope. I have driven through this area but never had hunted it before. I know there is a lot of public land. This is a Muzzle hunt and I would love some pointers from those of you that have hunted Antelope before. The hunt is the first one in August for MB.

Spot and stalk is this realistic with a Muzzle?

Should we sit on a water hole?

Any help would be great

Thanks,

Jack

Congrats on drawing a great tag! I think you should have been assigned a ranch with that tag. Sit and wait usually works well in that unit. Here is a URL of a muzzle loader hunt in that area.

GOD LUCK ON YOUR HUNT.....

They should give you a map a little closer to the hunt or call the NM Dept. of Game & Fish and they should tell you what ranch you have. God Luck....

I am pretty sure this hunt is NOT assigned to a ranch. I drew the same hunt I think. It is a public land hunt. Buying some maps and headed up there to do some scouting soon... there is a lot of public land any general areas to start?

Been a long time since I hunted it or put in for it.

It is a public land hunt. The couple years we hunted it, we found most of the goats on the North side of Mt Antonio. We stayed in Antonito.

I think there is to many hunters there to sit water, unless you got some intel on a remote drinker.

Nice bucks killed every year there spot and stalk. You should do fine.

Practice with your ML to at least 200 yards.

Congrats on a great tag, your boy is in for a blast! You wont be assigned a ranch , its open to both unit 50 and 52 and plenty of goats on both sides. Spot and stalk is always possible , but by Saturday mid morning they are pretty boogered up but still very huntable.Like Paul said , a lot of hunters and not many water holes and the ones that are there you gotta be there pretty early to beat out other guys.This is about the best hunt you can draw IMO, its a lot of fun with a lot of antelope....

I have never hunted the unit, but I did buy a subscription to mytopo maps for my upcoming Elk hunt in NM. Best thing I did- You can find water sources that have been named by ranches, any water/marsh, river, creek, or NMGF tanks; Basically everything you would need and WELL worth th money. I think it was like 21.95 for a years subscription. Gives views just like Google earth, but with more options and not having to get overlays to do so. Might want to check into these maps.

www.mytopo.com

Get the year subscription, not the individual map for the unit. After you get your places marked on the map, you can email it to a Kinkos, or print shop to have it printed on waterproof paper, in any size and it's much cheaper than buying the map itself, plus it can be used for any state... Just an option... If you want to call about the maps feel free 248-214-0693.

-Brian

The rules have changed on this hunt its not wide open hunt anywhere you want anymore.You will be assigned either a (private ranch) or a (public ranch) and have to stay within the boundaries... which really sux if you get a small private ranch and can't hunt the public ground.

CC

>The rules have changed on this
>hunt its not wide open
>hunt anywhere you want anymore.You
>will be assigned either a
>(private ranch) or a (public
>ranch) and have to stay
>within the boundaries... which really
>sux if you get a
>small private ranch and can't
>hunt the public ground.
>
>CC

I don't believe it... where do you see that? It is a PUBLIC LAND hunt.

Thats the way it was last year...a friend had the hunt.But after looking in the proclamation maybe they changed it back to the way it used to be??? which is wide open.

The tag is good for 50 or 52 so it's all public. Any thoughts on which side of the river is better?

cosmic how did your friend do on the Hunt?

I thought the West side was better, but, it was very dry that year.......I think it may be very dry this year.

Found some nice bucks in the scattered junipers. Killed a 16" goat there the 2nd time I drew.

Game n Fish HAD given ranch assignments the last 2 seasons, this year it IS back to UNIT WIDE. Just depends year to year which side of the highway (NM 285) is better. The Eastern unit boundry is the Rio Grande gorge.

Lovehunting
My friend didn't get a goat last year. He got stuck on a very small ranch with no goats on it... and F&G wouldn't let him move to a new spot.He was VERY PO maybe thats why they switched back to UW
I like the west side of 285 better but there are goats everywhere.
Have even seen them in the aspens.... those goats will go high if pressured. GL

CC

Congrats on the tag, it's a great hunt. A lot of practice will be needed at some distance. I have hunted it twice, and I hunt it by finding a spot and sitting and waiting. I glass a lot and will put a stock on if I think I can. Be prepared for rain as well, I have been rained on both times I hunted, in fact lost out on a huge buck due to wet powder. Sad thing was I had an audience of three trucks sitting on the road about 1/4 mile away. All saw me throw a fit a the monster ran off after the pop from the primer. I was able to stalk to within 50 yards of that buck. Fell free to contact me for more info.

Guys a big thank you for all the tips and help. This is why I love this Forum. We will begin some long range shooting of the ML any suggestions on how high to be at 100YDS? I will not let my son shoot over 175yds. Your thoughts on 200 yard shots with a ML?

Thanks,

Jack

I shoot mine at the range all the time at 200 yards. Have even hit the 300 yard gong a few times. I limit myself to practice at 200 yards and hunting shots to that distance as well. I think with a modern muzzleloader a 200 yard shot on an antelope will drop it in its tracks.

You will have a great hunt for sure.There are good goats there and alot of them.A muzzlerloader with practice can take a goat with no problem out to 300yds.We had my sons sighted in for 200 yds so at 100yds he had to hold belly high and out to about 275 back high.We did 120 grain bh209 and 200 grain shockwave. I can tell you use the fences there to find places to sit.The goats are moving all day from the pressure and you may go crazy if you just chase them all day.Good luck

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom