sportsman warehouse

30inchbuck

Went to Albuquerque to trade trucks with the daughter. Meet at Sportsman warehouse in which I had hoped to pick up some ammo for my 300 Ultra. Parking lot was FULL! I thought dang with the economy the way it is Sportsman Warehouse is doing OK. Go inside to find a hugh sale going on.

Of course they cannot keep ammo on the shelves. So no ammo but I did get several items at deep discounts.

Also heard that they have been bought out. Anybody else hear this?

UFA Cooperative Limited of Canada (United Farmers of Alberta) bought 49% of Sportsmans Warehouse back in November of 2008. The economy was taking its toll on the corporation and I believe some partners wanted bought out ???
Sportsmans need a big insfusion of new cash and UFA provided that. I believe Stu Uttgard is still the major share holder though.

Robert

I always go to mom and pop shops instead of the corprate devil.

Width isnt everything, its the ONLY thing.

i heard they were real close to being bought out by Cabelas. Anyone else here this? I'm not sure if its true or not.

About three or four years ago the owner of sportsmans went to cabelas to sell. Cabelas wasn't interested so the word is the owner was going to put a sportsmans in every town that cabelas had a store in until they bought it. That didn't work the way they planned. Cabelas had no need to compete against themselves. This has to be the stupidest thing I ever posted on this site, but I realy did hear this from a sportsmans manager.

see post #1....he wasn't joking

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
jb.jpg

I've got a couple good friends that are manager's for Sportsman's, one thing good about them being bought by UFA, is it gave them a lot of $$$. Thus more buying power, thus more product on their shelves. Which will be nice, I know everytime I go in to Sportsmans, they are pretty empty, and I have a hard time finding everything I need.

Things are chainging at Sportman's due to the buy out, but for the good. I worked at the one here in Round Rock, TX for the past two summers and it is a great place to work. A lot of people complain that Sportsman's doesn't have what they need, but a lot of people are very very particular and of course they can't carry everything every customer wants. Hopefully they will have a bigger market share now and can give Cabelas a run for its money.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Sooooo when will they start stocking there shelves???? The one here in Riverdale Utah has nothing.

Well... Sportsman's here in OR is terrible for keeping ammo on the shelf anymore! No .243, .270, .300 WM, or 10mm. I understand the 10mm being out but the other mainstream cartridges? I spoke with a worker there and they said they cut way back on orders during the buy out and since the election results they have had a tough time keeping any of the regular ammo on the shelves as everybidy and their brother is stocking up.

I have been to the sportsmans in Midvale and Provo multiple times in the past three months to try and look through a Vortex Nomad spotting scope. They have never had one in stock since I have started looking. They are a vortex dealer, however the sportsmans worker told me that they can only order in 1 at a time and that it usually gets bought within the first day of it being there.

If your customers want a product, and buy you out of it the day that it arrives on your shelf, don't you think that you would buy more than 1 of said product????
No wonder sportsmans got bought out, they have lost their sense for business.
I guess I'll order my nomad from gr8fuldoug at camera land. At the very least he has the product that he is a dealer for.

}}-SLIVER-->

We don't have a Cabelas or Bass Pro here in NM, but we have two Sportsmans Warehouses, so I'll go there. I used to try and keep bussiness in smaller shops too, I still have my arrows wrapped and fletched by a local small shop that treats me real good and does great job on my arrows, but I still love to go to Sportsmans.....Missed that sale though dang it...

I love the Sportsmans "candystore" here in ABQ. Did take me two months to finally score a box of .308 180-grain TTSXs, though. Post 'bama will do that to an ammo shelf. Man it's been bare..

The reason Sportsmans Warehouse does not have alot of merchandise on its shelves, is because they don't pay their bills to vendors or their lenders. Thats why UFA is taking over, the CEO of Sportsmans(Stu)borrowed money from them and did not pay them back. So as per agreement between Stu Utgaard and UFA they own a majority of stock and Stu has to step down. UFA is buying it from Stu for Sportsmans debt. Sportsmans was once a well stocked, reliable store, but broke down when Stu Utgaard started building to many stores too fast. He made poor judgements on where to place stores, even closing one is California 4 months after it was opened. Many of the stores were built on credit borrowed from previous stores and the inventory inside them. With Sportsmans living on credit, when the economy slipped so did Sportmans. Stu wanted to be the biggest and most profitable sporting good retailer and would not listen to anyone telling him to slow down. Sportsmans Warehouse is on credit hold with most of its vendors, thats why they don't have the product they once had. Many of the upper management at corp (not all) are out of tune with what the public actually wants, and at times they dont seem to care. They have the attitude of "sell them something else". The new owners put out a statement with News West and said they were going to keep things the same way as in the past just eliminate Stu. No layoffs or management changes for the rest of the retail chains employees was noted in that same article. But the executive who is currently running Sportsmans just let go 50 Receiving managers company wide. Right after Christmas, so Sportsmans would be taken care of during the busy shopping season. Sportsmans is still some how opening new stores like the one in Carson City, Nevada scheduled to open in April. So they get rid of some employees that have been with the company for a long time (including employees that have been there over a decade), but continue to open more stores with no discretion for the employees who just lost their jobs and their families. UFA "injected" money into Sportsmans in December to try to save some sales but it was too late. Time will tell what the future brings for Sportsmans employees and customers. I hope they start stocking their shelves and giving better customer service.

im an albuquerque sportsmans junkie too and you are completely right. if you want to find ammo you have to go often and buy when its there. their handgun selection is way down too..

We had a Sportsman's open at the end of July of 2008 and then close at the beginning of November of 2008. A whole 4+ months, and I heard a few others closed. I was so stoked when it opened since it was on our way to our hunting area and we always stopped to pick up something this last season. Now the closest one for me to go to is 6 hours away. So back to Bass Pro or on-line. I seem to find most things at one of those places.

Kurt-www.shootitimages.com

I just had a conversation with an employee at Sportsmans the other day about this very subject. It sounds like most of the employees are excited about the buyout (or whatever you want to call it). As far as guns and ammo he said that they don't even get to stock the shelves. They get a shipment in every Tuesday and everyone knows it. As they wheel out the shopping carts onto the floor there is a mob of guys taking everything out of the cart. So nothing ends up making it to the shelves. So if you want ammo or something like that get there and be ready for the shipment. And he said that they get about 25 guns a week and they could sell a 100 if they would get them in. Everyone buys them up too fast.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-09 AT 11:50PM (MST)[p]Went to the one in Roundrock Texas today. Pretty bare shelves, especially on ammo where many slots weere empty, but I was there to get some muzzleloading supplies. Very lightly stocked and out of a lot. Did pick up a jug of BH 209, but did not have any Hornady FPBs

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

In the last month, I have been to the Billings store twice and the Casper store once, no brass(for common calibers), no powder, and no primers!

Maybe my timming is off!

Ours in southern Ore. has never had full shelves since it opened! When I inquire why items aren't in stock the employees show their true colors: They don't give a big rat's _ _ _ . Or, they make flimsy excuses. It has to be the worst run chainstore that I know of.
My solution is to shop via the net at companies that cater to customers.

Herb

The one here in Casper has crappy inventory. Everytime I go into buy something, the selection either sucks or they don't have it. I've also yet to see any deals or sales. Seems like their prices mimic Cabela's. We also have a nice local sporting goods store. I've been able to to buy two pairs of boots and some waders cheaper than SPW had them priced. SPW has been a disappoint for the last year or so...

Like a lot of you I try to support sportsmans and cabelas, hoping they will keep each other honest. I prefer mom and pops but lets face it the big ones set the prices. If you want 10mm, 460, or 500 handgun ammo, riverdale,utah has it other than that there is no handgun ammo in the store. Impact arms is restocking after the x-mas push but we all are buying ammo by the truckload so what do we expect? I have been buying ammo every week, same as you so I am not suprised at the bare shelves. I think the ammo and gun dealers should support obama, my god he has been huge buisness for them! By the way I just tried to buy .45acp, .357mag, and .38spl in bulk from cableas, sold out and backordered for a month and no guarantee that when that shipment comes my order would be processed.

The Sportsman here in Loveland CO, has basicaslly had no reloading supplies for around 4-5 months now......I have since gone to buying my stuff online.

The Sportsman here in Albuquerque might as well shut the doors since they havent ordered any inventory for several months. The shelves have been bare since mid-December. I have been to Sportsman four times since Christmas trying to use up gift cards I received over the holidays. For the first time in my life, I cant find anything to spend money on in a hunting store! Sad, but true.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom