Spot N Stalk Bear

FlyFool

Just wondering what you guys do on your spot and stalk hunts? (for black bear). Drive logging roads looking for bears/sign? hike around looking for sign. find certain terrain/ vegetation? Calls? if so what kind? and would you do that in grizzley country? I am new to bear hunting but am planning on going either this spring or fall. are there different techniques spring vs fall? Thanks.

A lot depends on if you are hunting fall or spring. Also what state? If baiting is legal I would say it can be very effective. I usually hunt CA where baiting is illegal. I normal try to find an area with lots of bear tracks and scat. Then try and target the trails they use to and from water or food! Good luck bear hunting is very addictive

Are you over by the Tetons, If so there is a mess of black bears over there. Feel free to pm and I see if I can help. I spend a ton of time hunting bears.

I live in Montana, close to the park, so we do have griz. here. The guy that has been teaching me about bears loves to call. The idea is not just to cold call, but if you have a bear in sight and not doing what you want they are very callable.
In the spring we look for south facing slopes, meadows, they get snow off first and so green up faster.

Would that be Mark Shuteye by any chance that's teaching you to call??

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom