Springbar Vs. Kodiak Canvas?

smokepoler63

I am looking at getting a 10' X 14' canvas tent. I have looked at both the Springbar family camper and the Kodiak Canvas in the same size. They seem almost identical, but the Kodiak is less money. Does anyone have first hand knowledge about these two tents? Which one would you recommend? Thanks in advance, Smokepoler63

I am looking at getting a 10' X 14' canvas tent. I have looked at both the Springbar family camper and the Kodiak Canvas in the same size. They seem almost identical, but the Kodiak is less money. Does anyone have first hand knowledge about these two tents? Which one would you recommend? Thanks in advance, Smokepoler63

I have a 10x14 Springbar and love it,
I can put it up by myself in about
10 min, They have a great warranty,
but make sure and buy the heavy
ground cover you won't regret it,
They warranty everything but the
floor.

I have a 10x14 Springbar and love it,
I can put it up by myself in about
10 min, They have a great warranty,
but make sure and buy the heavy
ground cover you won't regret it,
They warranty everything but the
floor.

+1 HBB

Very solid tents that will last a long long time.

?Life is like a ten speed bike. Most of us have gears we never use!?

+1 HBB

Very solid tents that will last a long long time.

?Life is like a ten speed bike. Most of us have gears we never use!?

I have used Springbar tents for years, best out there in a canvas tent IMO. You will not go wrong at all, they may be a little more money but they are worth the extra cost. As far as the floor buy TWO heavy ground tarps, one under the tent, and one inside the tent. Putting one inside gives your floor double protection and it helps keep dirt and mud off the floor. When you pack up camp roll the inner floor tarp up and shake all the dirt off outside the tent. The tarp inside will help save your floor if your using cot's also. Springbar for sure!

But when it allow's nothing beats a fifthwheel fully loaded!

I have used Springbar tents for years, best out there in a canvas tent IMO. You will not go wrong at all, they may be a little more money but they are worth the extra cost. As far as the floor buy TWO heavy ground tarps, one under the tent, and one inside the tent. Putting one inside gives your floor double protection and it helps keep dirt and mud off the floor. When you pack up camp roll the inner floor tarp up and shake all the dirt off outside the tent. The tarp inside will help save your floor if your using cot's also. Springbar for sure!

But when it allow's nothing beats a fifthwheel fully loaded!

I have not used a Springbar, but my scout troop uses a Kodiak. It has survived very well after 4 years of abuse. It gets used one full week in the summer, and one Friday night the rest of the year. It has kept them dry through a couple of nasty thunderstorms.

I have not used a Springbar, but my scout troop uses a Kodiak. It has survived very well after 4 years of abuse. It gets used one full week in the summer, and one Friday night the rest of the year. It has kept them dry through a couple of nasty thunderstorms.

Myself, my son, and two hunting friends have the Kodiak. After looking at my son's for the first time we all jumped on board. First time using mine was for nine nights. 40-50 mph winds, snow one night and two nights of rain. Never blew down or leaked. Could have sold it two times to others in the campground. Limited (normal wear and tear) lifetime warranty. About 10 minutes to put up yourself, just like the other.

Myself, my son, and two hunting friends have the Kodiak. After looking at my son's for the first time we all jumped on board. First time using mine was for nine nights. 40-50 mph winds, snow one night and two nights of rain. Never blew down or leaked. Could have sold it two times to others in the campground. Limited (normal wear and tear) lifetime warranty. About 10 minutes to put up yourself, just like the other.

I'm very familier with the Springbar. I have been hunting out of my buddy's for about 12 years now. He inherited the tent from his father, so the tent is about 30 years old now. Still in great shape and very serviceable.

I have compared the technical specs of the two on their respective web sites and the only real difference I can find is that the Kodiak has a 16 OZ. vinyl coated poly floor material as compared to the Springbar's 9 OZ. vinyl coated poly floor material.

Springbar is offering a free ground cloth and door mat if a tent is purchased before Mar. 10th.

Primo Gear, one of Kodiaks distributers is offering the 10' X 14' Flex bow for $499.95 with free shipping. Springbar shipping is $39.95.

Bottom line is, I can get the Springbar with the ground cloth and door mat delivered to my door for aprox. $709, and the Kodiak for approx. $500 even. Is the Springbar worth approx. $210 more?

I'm very familier with the Springbar. I have been hunting out of my buddy's for about 12 years now. He inherited the tent from his father, so the tent is about 30 years old now. Still in great shape and very serviceable.

I have compared the technical specs of the two on their respective web sites and the only real difference I can find is that the Kodiak has a 16 OZ. vinyl coated poly floor material as compared to the Springbar's 9 OZ. vinyl coated poly floor material.

Springbar is offering a free ground cloth and door mat if a tent is purchased before Mar. 10th.

Primo Gear, one of Kodiaks distributers is offering the 10' X 14' Flex bow for $499.95 with free shipping. Springbar shipping is $39.95.

Bottom line is, I can get the Springbar with the ground cloth and door mat delivered to my door for aprox. $709, and the Kodiak for approx. $500 even. Is the Springbar worth approx. $210 more?

I own a kodiak and Love it. My scout troop has both. The scout master is a die hard spring bar guy. I convinced him to get a kodiak last year when they decided we needed an extra tent. I think the floor in the kodiak is better(you already know that it is thicker material), but the canvas on the kodiak might be just a bit thinner. not by much though. A very durable tent for sure. My brother works in the camping department at sportmans. He says that the kodiak is every bit as good as the spring bar if not better in some ways. He has had experience with both also. In my opinion go with the Kodiak.

I own a kodiak and Love it. My scout troop has both. The scout master is a die hard spring bar guy. I convinced him to get a kodiak last year when they decided we needed an extra tent. I think the floor in the kodiak is better(you already know that it is thicker material), but the canvas on the kodiak might be just a bit thinner. not by much though. A very durable tent for sure. My brother works in the camping department at sportmans. He says that the kodiak is every bit as good as the spring bar if not better in some ways. He has had experience with both also. In my opinion go with the Kodiak.

marcopolo, great idea on the two ground cloth idea! That would save alot of time during camp break-down and also save a lot of wear and tear on the tent floor material.

Went to Sportman's in Idaho Falls last night to look at the Kodiak Canvas line and was unable to see them first hand. While they had pretty much every tent they sell set up in the balcony area around the store, they didn't have a single Kodiak Canvas tent out of the box. I was disappointed. I really would like to see one set up so I can get a first hand feel of the quality of materials.

I think I am going to go ahead with the Kodiak based on price and personal testimonials I have heard from my brother-in-law and other scouters here on the internet. I don't think the Kodiak is any better than the Springbar, but I feel that the Kodiak is very comparable to the Springbar for considerably less money.

marcopolo, great idea on the two ground cloth idea! That would save alot of time during camp break-down and also save a lot of wear and tear on the tent floor material.

Went to Sportman's in Idaho Falls last night to look at the Kodiak Canvas line and was unable to see them first hand. While they had pretty much every tent they sell set up in the balcony area around the store, they didn't have a single Kodiak Canvas tent out of the box. I was disappointed. I really would like to see one set up so I can get a first hand feel of the quality of materials.

I think I am going to go ahead with the Kodiak based on price and personal testimonials I have heard from my brother-in-law and other scouters here on the internet. I don't think the Kodiak is any better than the Springbar, but I feel that the Kodiak is very comparable to the Springbar for considerably less money.

Tnaks for you input FlyFool.

The ceiling material is 10 oz. cotton duck canvas on both tents. The wall material on both tents is 8.5 oz. cotton duck canvas. I have heard that the canvas on the Kodiak is a little tighter weave. That would explain why it might feel a little thinner. Tighter weave and slightly thinner would still equal 8.5 oz. per square yard of material.

Thanks to all who gave input to my new tent quest. Smokepoler63

Tnaks for you input FlyFool.

The ceiling material is 10 oz. cotton duck canvas on both tents. The wall material on both tents is 8.5 oz. cotton duck canvas. I have heard that the canvas on the Kodiak is a little tighter weave. That would explain why it might feel a little thinner. Tighter weave and slightly thinner would still equal 8.5 oz. per square yard of material.

Thanks to all who gave input to my new tent quest. Smokepoler63

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom