squirrel hunting

John_The_Bastard

When I was young we all did it for the food. Now it is a pastime to get by while waiting for going west and deer hunting. I do love an annual squirrel and biscuits and gravy breakfast with fried green apples! Real men hunt them with rifles with open sights.....old men, girls, little boys and limpwrists hunt them with shotguns. Afterall we have to maintain our standards. I am getting older and have given way to a well scoped 17 Mach II. I invite comments and criticism!
I am
John The Bastard

I grew up hunting them in Iowa open sight .22 I still use an open sight .22, age is starting on the eye sight but LASIK helped it out a bunch so I'm still hanging in there. I hate cleaning them a 75 year old lady in town will take all I give her and clean them and do an annual wild game feed at school where kids gobble that rabbits and birds down. I know I should feel guilty but she says it makes her feel useful so who am I to argue.

A big old male squirrel carrys 2 large nuts so.......Why do squirrels do the back stroke.................to keep their nuts dry! I hope this post rocks.......good luck in the coming weeks! I remain
John The Bastard

I hunt them for the challenge, so I look for squirrels at least 4 years old. After awhile you can tell the difference.

But then I understand everyone has their own definition of a trophy squirrel.

Eel

Guns are like parachutes. If you need one and don't have one you probably will never need one again.

I grew up hunting squirrels. Killed my first one with a 410 when I was 11. Actually, I killed it with a stick. I knocked it out of a tree with one shot and it hit the ground and rolled under a log. I reached under the log and grabbed it. I was proud as could be for about 15 seconds until it bit clear thru my hand thru the flesh between my thumb and finger.

After I grew up, the first firearm I bought was a used Winchester 22. I still use it to shot a squirrel occasionally. I grew up in a hunting family. My wife was never interested in going hunting and we have 3 daughters. When they were young I tried to take them squirrel hunting a few times but they never took to it like I did.

The last time I took them squirrel hunting my oldest daughter was 8. I shot a squirrel and she seemed interested when I told her I was going to gut it. I field dressed the squirrel and showed my daughter all the internal organs. I shot the squirrel in a large oak flat and it had been feeding on acorns. I explained to her how squirrels hold acorns with there front paws and chew up the acorns. I showed her how the squirrel's stomach was full of chewed up acorns.

When we got home, my wife was talking to her mother on the phone and my daughter said she wanted to talk to her grandmother. My daughter got on the phone and told her grandmother that she had gone squirrel hunting with me and that I had shown her how to cut the nuts out of a squirrel after you shoot it. Since my wife came from a non-hunting family, I had a hard time explaining this to the anti-hunters.

True Story.

I look forward to the day when I can take my grandchildren squirrel hunting. Perhaps one or more will take to hunting the way that I did.

When I was a boy we used slingshots as our first weapons. We could kill 'em. Also used archery and air rifles. Still use .22's but as others have said my vision isn't what it once was.

I went Gray Squirrel hunting with a friend one cold foggy winter day. We would drive to a patch of oaks and then split up, maybe 50 yards apart, and still hunt. We had stopped at 4 or 5 different spots without seeing a squirrel. Then one spot we parked and split up. I finally saw a squirrel and shot it with my .22. When we met up I told my friend I got one. He said he got one too, but he didn't hear me shoot. I told him I didn't hear him shoot either. After hunting all day long we must have both shot at exactly the same time. Kind of weird.

Eel

Guns are like parachutes. If you need one and don't have one you probably will never need one again.

shotgun1 said: "Do your standards for a trophy squirrel fluctuate depending on which weapon/sights you use?"

That right there is the funniest thing..!! I LOLed for real..!!

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

I have hunted them my whole life. I used .22 when younger, then went to bows for more of a challenge, now my favorite is to hunt them with the big bore blowguns. Fun as heck.

Last year I took my daughter with the air rifles, she got thirty some the first time out, but honestly air rifles is about like .22's just cheaper.

marshtaxidermy.blogspot.com

9405facebook20150904082724.jpg

57371084648110152487086861003170298470874164317n.jpg

1110647138101524187244921155185787567028783520n.jpg

93381488679101548882666552856968641554618401913n.jpg

9155coversquirrel.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom