Starkey Exp Forest Hunt Shortened

H

huntindude

They cut the deer season down to 5 days this year, same with elk I'm pretty sure. my wife should have enough points this year to draw and I thought it my be a good hunt due to some older bucks and low hunter numbers. now with only 5 days I've kind of lost interest and probably a lot of other people will which might make it easier to draw. anyone ever do this hunt and do you think 5 days is enough?

I believe you get five days in the cage and then get thrown to the masses. I would hope five days would be plenty.

Yes that's the way it works, it's not a matter of just getting a deer it's a matter of getting a good one. I've been told there are some real nice deer there but 5 days seems like a short season for 8 points. if the hunting is good enough that's OK, I just don't know enough about the hunt to say.

I've never hunted the unit, but what I hear from those that have that the area has some really nice bucks. What I hear that in order to find the nice bucks you must devote a couple days pusshing the thikkits. Maybe 5 days would be enough, but maybe not. If you do choose to draw the tag and get the tag good luck.

A friend drew last year. Too many people for the size of the "fenced" area he said. After waiting all that time for the tag, he ended up with a decent 4X3. I would wait a couple more years and get a tag in a better unit...archery that is! There a unit not too far from your place that is a draw for achery and there are BIG bucks (170+) if you know where to go.

muleyman

I know where you mean and I even know a few land owners there. even if it was my tag I couldn't hit the window of my pick up if I shot the bow from inside the cab, I'm rifle hunter for sure.

From the sound of it probably just keep putting her in for the Trout Creeks, I know the unit pretty well and have hunted it before. it's not great but in Oregon it's as good as most places I suppose. the point creep in most of the better hunts is starting to make it hard to decide what to do anymore.

Back
Top Bottom