Western WY deer 2024 hunt??

tnvol

Hey guys..it’s application season! Hope everyone is having good luck. I know Region H in WY was hit hard in 2023 and supposedly region G was hit even harder with winter kill. My son and I have the points to draw...does anyone have an opinion or advice for us to try and apply this year 2024?? This would be a diy hunt...I've heard people comment saying it could be 4-5 years before the herd recovers and maybe even a decade and it’s all weather dependent. We've never hunted out in region H but I wonder how hard it would be to find a decent 4pt buck?? My thought was we could draw now and then wait another 6-10 years until we hunt again..Thanks for any input!

Lots of discussion on here about state of Western Wyoming deer herds. I'll say this, I personally hunted western Wyoming in 2022 and 2023. 2022 was lights out amazing. 2023 I felt like I was hunting Washington state, deer numbers were very low and finding bucks, let alone mature bucks was challenging. Now this year should be better than last year and I expect there to be some monsters given the mild winter and lack of competition for groceries but its nothing like it was historically.

The other wildcard is how the shorter season will impact the pressure. In 2022 the hunt went till Oct 7, 2023 it was 9/30, this year 9/25 so I'm guessing more crowded than it has been in the past.

Lots of discussion on here about state of Western Wyoming deer herds. I'll say this, I personally hunted western Wyoming in 2022 and 2023. 2022 was lights out amazing. 2023 I felt like I was hunting Washington state, deer numbers were very low and finding bucks, let alone mature bucks was challenging. Now this year should be better than last year and I expect there to be some monsters given the mild winter and lack of competition for groceries but its nothing like it was historically.

The other wildcard is how the shorter season will impact the pressure. In 2022 the hunt went till Oct 7, 2023 it was 9/30, this year 9/25 so I'm guessing more crowded than it has been in the past.
Great insight! Thank you sir..I have no idea what to do lol..

I wouldn’t burn your points unless you can team up with somebody who will be able to help scout and knows the unit intimately. I can suggest a few names still looking for a way into the draw if you’re interested. Shoot me pm if interested.

I wouldn’t burn your points unless you can team up with somebody who will be able to help scout and knows the unit intimately. I can suggest a few names still looking for a way into the draw if you’re interested. Shoot me pm if interested.
Pm me

Draw the tag, go a few days early. Find a few basins or pockets, mid level. You'll see 4x4 bucks. Don't let someone chump you outta your points on a party app.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom