Steiner Binocs

IdahoSmitty

I am no professional optics guy and I have had a pair of steiners 10x50 military marines for around 7 years now. I never hear of steiners being taked about on hear. I know there are a lot of optics pro's on here and I just wonder what you think about them. Do they suck? Do you like them? What do you like or don't like? I think mine are about done. I have found a lot of animals through them but are todays glass head and shoulders above my old glasses?

Back in the day Steiner was great glass, now seems like if you don't have the big 3 maker scope/binoculars, you don't have good glass. I don't own anything from the big 3, I have Leupold green ring bino and spotter and I have a Bushnell rangefinder. Everything I have ever heard about buying optics is get the best you can afford for the time being and when you can afford better then upgrade. Seems like most people don't like Steiner due to the weight they have, I remember them being quite big and bulky.
WVBOWAK

Is there any particular brands you have in mind? Can you get to a Sportsmans Warehouse or Cabelas to try out some of the glasses/spotters? Some pretty decent mid-line ones are Leupold, Nikon, Vortexx (which I regret not getting instead of my Leupolds), etc. Look around on here and maybe someone can give you a direction to head in. Hope this helps.
WVBOWAK

From what I read on hear I think I might look into the Zen Ray 10x43 ed2's. From what I have been reading, it sounds like they cant be beat for 400$...? I don't mind looking through my steiners but lately it feels like they have "seen a better day" I truly believe that I have got my 400$ out of them (I bought them used many years ago) I just wanted to know why there are not many other guys who use them. So if anyone is reading this and you think they are crap or they are great let me know. I have looked through a few bino's but I really don't have to much to compare with. I have looked through swaro 10x42 el's and a few bushnell brands and some nikon but I am not an experienced glass looker througher......I just throw them on and go!

IMHO, Steiner makes some well designed binoculars, but optically, you can get better for less money.

Pick a price point, and if it's under a thousand dollars look at the Vortex line. They seems to be providing some of the best optical bang for your buck.

I have the Zen Ray II have used them a year now they replaced my Monarchs they are awesome. Just my 2cents.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-09-10 AT 05:21PM (MST)[p]Thanks guys for the input. I have always been the type of guy to buy the best equiptment with my gear (except for the binocs, I thought they were good many years ago) Now with a kid on the way, and a wife who thinks binoculars that are 1000-2000$+ is rediculous I just might have to be responsible (right now) and purchase a pair for 500$ or under. And that's ok w/ me. I think that in a few years when the time comes to buy one of the big three there will be "the newest greatest thing" in binoculars and I will get one of those and keep them for life. I just never really thought the steiners were not top of the line because of the price. I always found deer w/ them and they fit great in my hands but I do think they are getting old. Maybe I'll retire them to a "always in the truck pair". THanks again and if anyone else has any other input, I do appreciate it. Smitty

ihave 10x50 steiner about 7 years old also.they sit on the safe now. got swarovski bino an spotter wish i had these 10 years ago the steiner dont even come close. won poker tourney so bought them.they are kinda costly. would like a pair of 10x50 next. my son takes them all the timeso i am left with nothing.when we first got them saw some lopes ask my son can you see them good he said i can count the hairs on his nut sack. later

If you take all the money you spend on cheap bino's you could of payed for a Good pair. I know I could of and I did finally pulled the trigger and got a good set of swarovski.
It's a case of pay now or pay later.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-10 AT 11:10AM (MST)[p]A friend invited me over yesterday. He has the Zen ED2's the 10x50 vortex razors and the 10x42 el swaro's. I really liked all. Compared to my steiners they were easily brighter and clearer. By no means do I know the specifics to look for in a binocular but I liked the zen's and the swaro's the best. I could not believe how much more bright those two were than what I had been using. Night and day difference!! I even got to look throught the 20x60x82 zen ray spotting scope and that was a very nice scope as well. I think with the times the way they are I might just order the zen ed2's. Thanks to all that responded, smitty.

Been using a pair of 10x42 Alaskan Guides from Cabelas for years and won't hunt without them. They are mid-range in price but have served their purpose well. I've never experienced eye strain/fatigue while glassing plus they are fairly lightweight. Good luck with your search.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom