Sticky Situations & Lessons Learned

4orMore

Who has gotten themselves into a tight spot while in the outdoors? Tells us about it. What did you learn from it that could benefit the rest of us? I'll start?

This September I was in the Greys River area of Wyoming on a mule deer hunt. I was surprised by the traces of snow on the ground as we made our way to camp. A couple days into the hunt my two brothers and I took the 4-wheeler 7 or 8 miles from camp. We parked it at 8,000 feet and hiked about 2 miles up to around 10,000 feet. Long story short, my bro?s headed back to camp for lunch. I told them I wanted to spend the day on the mountain. I had a couple layers and some snacks. I wasn?t worried. They?d come get me in the afternoon and hunt the evening with me.

I headed up near the peak to hunt the cliffs and shoots. STEEP COUNTRY! Halfway up I heard radio chatter of my bro?s leaving camp to go help a friend of ours who?d downed a nice buck 8-10 miles or so on the opposite side of camp. I didn't have a nice Garmin GPS Radio etc. like them. I could hear them, but couldn't get anything out to them from my radio. Soon as I got 50 yards from the top the weather turned and I mean really turned. I was climbing the east slope of a steep north-south ridge and couldn't see the sky to the west to see any storms coming. I first heard the wind, the sky went black, 100 foot pines on the ridge line bent almost completely in half in the wind. Then the hail hit followed by a torrential downpour of rain. I was in the wide open. I basically skied on the loose rocks down to the first tree I could find and rolled up under it. It was then that I really regretted taking out my rain gear from my pack to lighten the load for the hike. I didn't have anything to start a fire, no way to radio out, no wheeler, 10+ miles from camp and getting soaked fast. I put on all my layers from my pack. My legs were really wet as I was only wearing one layer, no thermals. If the temperature had dropped further and snow started piling up, like it really could have in that county, I just may not be writing this right now. I know that's a little extreme to say, but still very possible.

I stayed calm, put together a game plan and held tight for the weather to let up. I remembered I'd seen the lights of a camp that morning not far from where we had parked the wheeler, about 3 miles from where I lay under the tree. That's where I'd head and wait for my brothers to come get me.

That's when the lightning started cracking off. I was under the tallest tree on a wide open slope. I bailed fast, made incredible time down to the pine forest. I basically picked my way from tree to tree in direction of that camp. In the end I got lucky as the storm let up. I kept moving to keep warm and dry off. Got my ride out well after dark that night as it took all day for my brothers to pack out our friends deer and then come back for me.

Lessons Learned: Pack prepared. Be aware. Have rain gear, a lighter/fire starter, a good radio, a buddy nearby, knowledge on how to find cover or build a quick shelter, always know an escape route, know where the nearest help/camp is, and above all stay calm.

I've been at this for 15+ plus years and this is all common sense stuff that I've always practiced. Even though nothing really bad happened I took a gamble that wasn?t worth it.

Let's hear your experiences.

Sounds like a humbling moment indeed but in the end did ya get your deer?

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

Its good that you survived. Lesson learned.
I have one for you. It was about 8-9 seasons ago and me and my brother were hunting in the west elk wilderness during archery season. Or spot is about 7 miles from the trailhead. We packed in our tent and all our gear for the week. It had been unusually hot the first two weeks of the season, so we both were wearing un-insulated boots for the week. We set up camp below an old rock slide and began the hunt. The elk were really sounding off and the first day or two was a blast. On the 4th night, some clouds started rolling in. By evening, the temp had dropped dramatically and the clouds were dropping quick. It started with rain, and then turned quickly to snow. The ground was still warm though at first so the snow around our tent was melting fast. We hadn't noticed when we set up the tent, but we were in a slight depression. That depression became a pond before we noticed. Almost instantly, the tent started taking on water quickly. Our bags and gear were saturated. The snow was now so heavy that the tent started collapsing also. That night it snowed almost a foot. Our gear was soaked through and our tent was in bad shape. We got no sleep that night. In the morning, we still decided to go elk hunting. Now the un-insulated boots came into play. By mid-morning, we were both frozen solid. We were at tree-line and the trail was dangerous. Getting out would have been a challenge to say the least. Lucky for us, the weather soon went back to warming and we were able to salvage the rest of the hunt and dry our gear. Lesson learned was to always take consideration when setting up camp that you are on some sort of high ground with good drainage. I always wear a lightly insulated boot now to when I'm in the high country.

smiley-violent064.gif

LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-11 AT 00:35AM (MST)[p]Not as bad but one I remember well was taking tbe ATVs from the house in Utah and leaving one in the canyon and riding with my son to the top of Red Cliffs to hike downhill for Deer to the bottom of Salt Creek Canyon. We were going downhill so steep it was crazy. We became cliffed in and made our way down the best spot we could find. It was hot so we took jackets off and both became scratched terribly from bushes. When we made it to the bottom it was still a half mile to the ATV and a neuroma in my foot bad became inflamed to a pain of 10 on the scale of 1 to 10. I let my son retrieve the ATV as it was too painful to walk. Whew and no deer!

Those are all great tales and I cannot top them. I have a few that are about like them and I'll share this one.

My brother and I were backpack hunting Dall sheep in the NWT. All went well for the hunt. My brother took a ram on the 3rd day and I killed on the 8th day.

As we were breaking camp my brother was retrieving our sheep horns and capes which we'd cached up in a tree. He slipped and fell out of the tree and injured his back. The guide and I had to carry ALL the capes, horns, tents, bags, etc back to the lake for the pickup flight. I can only guess how far... probably only 5 miles since it was our last camp on the way back to the lake.

The weather turned bad and the temp plummeted. The snow came in with tremendous furry. That was the longest toughest 5 miles in my life.

We finally made it to the lake. The next morning our leather boots were frozed and we couldn't get our feet into them. I had to wear my brothers (bigger boots) to get up and grub some food for us. My brother felt like a king since I had to do everything for the next few days.

The weather had us marooned and we were 3 days late getting out of the bush. We missed all our connecting flights, of course.

IT WAS A GREAT EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!!

Zeke

Three that come to mind right off.

Leave a set of keys at your vehicle if it's 30 below and your duck hunting a lake with warm springs alone the shore line.

Always take two spare tires when you go to the Henrys.

Don't camp on the arctic tundra when terrorists are flying aircraft into high rise buildings.

DC

This story happened 32 years ago this past September and I haven't repeated the mistake. :)

I had just turned 16 and a 1971 Blazer was the beginning of my outdoor freedom. I had also just drawn my first Arizona Archery Bull Elk tag. I spent all my free time driving to the mountains to scout out the perfect hunting spot. I planned to create my own personal Elk hunting paradise.

Over the summer I managed to drag a 200 gallon drinker down off the edge of a canyon. I set up a bunch of plastic on the hill above with a pipe leading down to the tank. I laid out several salt licks and the monsoon rains began to keep my tank full of water. All that was left was to hang my tree stand and wait for season to open.

The season opened with me sitting my tree stand waiting for what I was sure to be a succesful hunt as the Elk had been hitting my tank hard. The day was fading to night without any activity at all. Suddenly I notice a black blob moving quickly below my stand toward the water. In the fading light I notice a bear cub has found my water. Within a minute there are now three Cubs and a Sow Bear at my tank.

Here's where the stupid part comes in to play. I had the big idea to grab my bow and practice drawing down on the Sow. That worked so well that I decided to draw down on the Sow again with my blunt tip arrow knocked. Then I had the brain storm to actually shoot the Sow with the blunt tip arrow. BIG MISTAKE !!

The Sow roars to scare the Devil and the Cubs scatter. One Cub is 5 feet from my face in the next tree beside me. One Cub is in my tree and would be in my lap had the tree stand not stopped his ascent. The Sow is on the ground below me standing on back legs and bawling like no tomorrow and it's turning pitch black.

30 leg shaking minutes pass before the Cubs retreat down out of my tree. Dark, dark, dark. Another 30 minutes pass before I work up the nerve to exit my tree stand. When my feet hit the ground I run out of that canyon like a bear was chasing me.

Scary bear story, for sure!!!

Scariest moment that I had was many years ago. Hiked down Jack-ass Canyon (Marble Canyon, head of the Grand Canyon) to do some fishing with some buddies. It was August, and it was HOT. Water bottle broke on the way down, but we continued anyway. Had a nice day of fishing (and drinking a couple of beers.... dumb!), then headed back-u Jack-ass trail to the truck to drive back to Flagstaff.

Bottom line is, I didn't have enough water/hydration in me. Ended-up with early signs of heat stroke by the time we were about 1/2 way to the pick-up. My buddies had to help me get out of the canyon. I was faint, sick, weak..... Thank God we had an ice chest with water and Gatoraide in the pick-up and I was able to get hydrated/cooled pretty quickly. Within an hour or so I was feeling back to myself, but it was a lesson learned!

Be safe! ALWAYS hydrate and take extra water when in hot conditions!!

S.

:)

>This story happened 32 years ago
>this past September and I
>haven't repeated the mistake. :)
>
>
>I had just turned 16 and
>a 1971 Blazer was the
>beginning of my outdoor freedom.
>I had also just drawn
>my first Arizona Archery Bull
>Elk tag. I spent all
>my free time driving to
>the mountains to scout out
>the perfect hunting spot. I
>planned to create my own
>personal Elk hunting paradise.
>
>Over the summer I managed to
>drag a 200 gallon drinker
>down off the edge of
>a canyon. I set up
>a bunch of plastic on
>the hill above with a
>pipe leading down to the
>tank. I laid out several
>salt licks and the monsoon
>rains began to keep my
>tank full of water. All
>that was left was to
>hang my tree stand and
>wait for season to open.
>
>
>The season opened with me sitting
>my tree stand waiting for
>what I was sure to
>be a succesful hunt as
>the Elk had been hitting
>my tank hard. The day
>was fading to night without
>any activity at all. Suddenly
>I notice a black blob
>moving quickly below my stand
>toward the water. In the
>fading light I notice a
>bear cub has found my
>water. Within a minute there
>are now three Cubs and
>a Sow Bear at my
>tank.
>
>Here's where the stupid part comes
>in to play. I had
>the big idea to grab
>my bow and practice drawing
>down on the Sow. That
>worked so well that I
>decided to draw down on
>the Sow again with my
>blunt tip arrow knocked. Then
>I had the brain storm
>to actually shoot the Sow
>with the blunt tip arrow.
>BIG MISTAKE !!
>
>The Sow roars to scare the
>Devil and the Cubs scatter.
>One Cub is 5 feet
>from my face in the
>next tree beside me. One
>Cub is in my tree
>and would be in my
>lap had the tree stand
>not stopped his ascent. The
>Sow is on the ground
>below me standing on back
>legs and bawling like no
>tomorrow and it's turning pitch
>black.
>
>30 leg shaking minutes pass before
>the Cubs retreat down out
>of my tree. Dark, dark,
>dark. Another 30 minutes pass
>before I work up the
>nerve to exit my tree
>stand. When my feet hit
>the ground I run out
>of that canyon like a
>bear was chasing me.

Oh my Hell,, LMAO!

Tag, that's funny as hell ! Would have cost me a set of underwear for sure too.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

Nope. All that and still no deer. I was looking for a 170+ class buck and wasn't able to find one. Lots of 140-150s though.

I bought some new optics and wanted to field test them and some backpacking gear. So I drive my jeep out into the high desert and it's hot, park the jeep and figure since I was only hiking about a mile down the trail to a campsite I may as well pull out the chair watch the sunset and cool off with a couple of beers before the simple walk down the trail. A few beers later things cool off, I put the gear on my back take a beer for the trail and a flashlight. I get about 3/4 of the way there and it's dark, real dark, but I have a flashlight, I figure I'll simply bushwack a little and get to the ridge I want to set up on. Well, this is Southern CA brush and it's dense, but I figure I don't have far to bushwack, so off I head into thick brush fueled by a few beers on an empty stomache. The brush was thicker than I thought, so I decide to take off the backpack that had all the gear, water and food in it. I'll set the pack down and footstomp a little ways to a clearspot where I hope to set up the optics for the dawn scout. In about two minutes I was completely disoriented, the flashlight crapped out, I was in brush so thick I couldn't move and it was above my head, so I couldn't see any landmarks. Worst yet, I couldn't find the backpack in the dark! Yep, death by brush,I thought. I started getting phobic and panicking trapped in the brush it was like a cage. I calmed down and realized I could make it through the night. The brush was so high and so thick the only way I could move was to lie down on my stomache and crawl under the first row of branches. If I had gotten snake bite or injured I could have easily perished in there. I got lucky and happened to find the backpack, had a comfortable night after all. Lessons learned, NEVER get seperated from the minimum survival gear when in the boonies, always have enough to survive overnight in pockets, fanny pack or in backpack and hold on to it. Night time skills, reflective marking tape spare flashlight and always mark and know where you set something you plan to retrieve. Never have an adult beverage until camp is set up and all is very safe and cozy. Something as simple as a walk through the brush and a few beers can kill you.

>Who has gotten themselves into a
>tight spot while in the
>outdoors? Tells us about
>it. What did you learn
>from it that could benefit
>the rest of us?
>I'll start?
>
>This September I was in the
>Greys River area of Wyoming
>on a mule deer hunt.
> I was surprised by
>the traces of snow on
>the ground as we made
>our way to camp.
>A couple days into the
>hunt my two brothers and
>I took the 4-wheeler 7
>or 8 miles from camp.
> We parked it at
>8,000 feet and hiked about
>2 miles up to around
>10,000 feet. Long story
>short, my bro?s headed back
>to camp for lunch.
>I told them I wanted
>to spend the day on
>the mountain. I had
>a couple layers and some
>snacks. I wasn?t worried.
> They?d come get me
>in the afternoon and hunt
>the evening with me.
>
>I headed up near the peak
>to hunt the cliffs and
>shoots. STEEP COUNTRY!
>Halfway up I heard radio
>chatter of my bro?s leaving
>camp to go help a
>friend of ours who?d downed
>a nice buck 8-10 miles
>or so on the opposite
>side of camp. I
>didn't have a nice Garmin
>GPS Radio etc. like them.
> I could hear them,
>but couldn't get anything out
>to them from my radio.
> Soon as I got
>50 yards from the top
>the weather turned and I
>mean really turned. I
>was climbing the east slope
>of a steep north-south ridge
>and couldn't see the sky
>to the west to see
>any storms coming. I
>first heard the wind, the
>sky went black, 100 foot
>pines on the ridge line
>bent almost completely in half
>in the wind. Then
>the hail hit followed by
>a torrential downpour of rain.
> I was in the
>wide open. I basically
>skied on the loose rocks
>down to the first tree
>I could find and rolled
>up under it. It
>was then that I really
>regretted taking out my rain
>gear from my pack to
>lighten the load for the
>hike. I didn't have
>anything to start a fire,
>no way to radio out,
>no wheeler, 10+ miles from
>camp and getting soaked fast.
> I put on all
>my layers from my pack.
> My legs were really
>wet as I was only
>wearing one layer, no thermals.
> If the temperature had
>dropped further and snow started
>piling up, like it really
>could have in that county,
>I just may not be
>writing this right now.
>I know that's a little
>extreme to say, but still
>very possible.
>
>I stayed calm, put together a
>game plan and held tight
>for the weather to let
>up. I remembered I'd
>seen the lights of a
>camp that morning not far
>from where we had parked
>the wheeler, about 3 miles
>from where I lay under
>the tree. That's where
>I'd head and wait for
>my brothers to come get
>me.
>
>That's when the lightning started cracking
>off. I was under
>the tallest tree on a
>wide open slope. I
>bailed fast, made incredible time
>down to the pine forest.
> I basically picked my
>way from tree to tree
>in direction of that camp.
> In the end I
>got lucky as the storm
>let up. I kept
>moving to keep warm and
>dry off. Got my
>ride out well after dark
>that night as it took
>all day for my brothers
>to pack out our friends
>deer and then come back
>for me.
>
>Lessons Learned: Pack prepared.
>Be aware. Have rain
>gear, a lighter/fire starter, a
>good radio, a buddy nearby,
>knowledge on how to find
>cover or build a quick
>shelter, always know an escape
>route, know where the nearest
>help/camp is, and above all
>stay calm.
>
>I've been at this for 15+
>plus years and this is
>all common sense stuff that
>I've always practiced. Even
>though nothing really bad happened
>I took a gamble that
>wasn?t worth it.
>
>Let's hear your experiences.

I was in that area in August. The thunder and lightning was the worst I have ever experienced there! It was pretty intense. The lightning would light up the tent and night, and the thunder would shake you. Pretty cool storms up there!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom