Stone Sheep - Northern British Columbia

bobby7321

Just returned from a good hunt in Northern British Columbia (Muncho Lake area). Hunted with Art & Crystal Thompson aka Gundahoo River Outfitters.

Weather was pretty crappy. Rain, fog, and wind for most of the hunt. We had a few nice days and those are the days that things got done. Sheep were staying low and in the timber, which made them pretty hard to spot and even harder to stalk. Changed camps a couple times. Overall a pretty tough hunt. Got my ram on day 9 or 10 I think. Had a goat tag, but only had one day to chase them. Saw some goats but nothing worth climbing after. By that time my knees had had enough anyways...

It was my first real horse back hunt. Had rode horses in Azerbaijan, but those were small and also the total time on the horses didn't amount to much really. Art's horses were very big and strong and were a totally different experience. Here is a great example.

Hightower

20774818368_3bdfa6c127_c.jpg

Riding and hiking all day definitely took its toll on my knees and ankles. I'm still sore in a few places.

Anyways. Here are a few pics and a short video I put together.

20341679093_deb85edfd1_c.jpg

20936475756_f0104a1baf_c.jpg

20776043929_ea115a2774_c.jpg

20970226961_6a70f1f946_c.jpg

My ram is a bit unusual. As you can see his left horn is much tighter and longer than the right. We aged him at 9-10 years old. I thought he was very cool and was stoked to take him.

20341668353_fa7ac1818f_c.jpg

Video:

https://vimeo.com/138151642

Bobby,

Great stuff once again. Nice looking ram. You truly have some great adventures.

BTW, thank you for answering my questions about MMO last year. I did book the hunt with them for 2016. Video and pics like this just makes the wait that much harder.

Awesome video and ram! I hunted there about 6 years ago - same deal, crappy weather, tough hunt, but got a good ram in the end. Congratulations on your ram! The moose, well, I'm thinking that might have been the trophy of the year at Gundahoo.

Very cool! Video was great! Great memories and a great trophy.

Was that a porcupine that ran across on the 2nd shot?

LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-15 AT 01:33PM (MST)[p]>Was that a porcupine that ran across on the 2nd shot?

I think it was a marmot. haha crazy little bastard didn't know what was going on.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-15 AT 01:35PM (MST)[p]>Sweet thanks for sharing. I
>thought that first shot was
>high?

from the video, it looks WAYY high, I agree. But i think it may have bounced or done something to cause that hit in the background.

Only reason I know it was low (like the guide called it), is because I held about 6 inches higher on the next two shots and they found their mark.

Range was 440. Leica binos gave me an "horiztonal" distance of 395. So I held for 400. Should've just held for 440 to begin with :)

>Awesome video and ram! I hunted
>there about 6 years ago
>- same deal, crappy weather,
>tough hunt, but got a
>good ram in the end.
>Congratulations on your ram! The
>moose, well, I'm thinking that
>might have been the trophy
>of the year at Gundahoo.
>

thanks! and yeah I totally regret not having a moose tag.
Although even if I had one I may not have been able to shoot him. Focus was sheep, so I probably would not have shot him that day, and by the time I got my sheep, we had moved to another area and weather and logistics would have made it tough to return to that basin. I'm sure another hunter this year will get a chance at him.

>Bobby,
>
>Great stuff once again. Nice
>looking ram. You truly
>have some great adventures.
>
>BTW, thank you for answering my
>questions about MMO last year.
> I did book the
>hunt with them for 2016.
> Video and pics like
>this just makes the wait
>that much harder.

thats great! I stay in touch with Stan & Helen, great people. I can't wait to get back up there. Who knows maybe I'll see you there in 2016 :)

Congrats on another fine adventure Bobby,
I also recently returned from BC and learned from the "school of hard knocks" that killing a stone ram is never a done deal in that country. We hunted 13 days on my hunt without seeing a legal ram and I would have been thrilled with one like yours. His horns are definitely unique, but a very fine trophy for sure.

Love the video...thanks for sharing.

great ram and video....scared the crap out of that marmot or whatever that thing was....

Great pictures and video. I am booked with Art and Crystal next year for Stone Sheep. Your pictures and video make me even more excited. I guess I'm accidentally following you around as I am booked for sheep this year with Stan and Helen at MMO this year.

>Great pictures and video. I
>am booked with Art and
>Crystal next year for Stone
>Sheep. Your pictures and
>video make me even more
>excited. I guess I'm
>accidentally following you around as
>I am booked for sheep
>this year with Stan and
>Helen at MMO this year.
>

haha! thats awesome. Tell Helen, Stan, and Glen hello for me! I can't wait to get back up there.

Congrats on a great ram. I met the owners at the sheep show in Reno. Seemed like great people. That hunt is my dream hunt. Nice job???

Bobby

Late on this but congrats on a beautiful ram and great job on the video. Met the crew in Reno
This year. Sounds like a great family owned outfitter. My dream hunt someday!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom