stuck brass in .22-.250?

blazingsaddle

While shooting this morning my 4th shell would not eject after firing. I gave it a firm knock back with my palm and the bolt jumped the lip of the case and opened. Now the case is stuck.
I'm assuming I'm safe to push the case out from the barrel with a wood dowel?

What would have caused this?
My load is H380 40 gr. with a 50 gr. bullet. I don't think this load is too hot, but maybe I'm wrong? The only thing I can think of is the case has been used too many times? I have a few that have been loaded for the 4th time, this may have been one of these. Is this too many times to be used?
Are there any precautions that I should take before I shoot it again, should I take it to a gunsmith to be looked at, or even have him extract the case?

It happens a lot for a lot of different reasons. This is when a CRF (controlled round feed) rifle comes in to play. Use a non steal cleaning rod and gently tap it out. If that doesn't work I would take it to a smith so you don't ruin your rifle.

A lot of factors can give you pressure problems past a hot load. Too many to list really. The load is one grain under Hodgdons max so that shouldn't be the problem.

If the bullet is well off the lands I would almost say you have some headspace problems or a loose chamber and the brass swells too much. I have 10x fired 22-250 brass that I don't have problems with... 4x fired brass should be ok in a non-belted round.

Good luck,

Todd

Also, if the bolt is closing hard when chambering, try backing your seating die off a couple turns and get the seating depth were you want it with the actuall depth adjustment.

Todd

I would consider myself a very novice reloader, also by the book and very detailed at the same time. But I'm sure I missed something, somewhere? I have fired hundreds of personal reloaded rounds from this rifle with the same formula.

The chambering of the rounds is smooth, no unusual feeling there.

If its a head space problem, what exactly does this mean for me and the rifle?

LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-12 AT 06:42AM (MST)[p]A slight head space problem could mean nothing more then you will only be able to get 2 or 3 reloads out of the brass before the web expands too much.

If you have a factory round, measure the web of the brass on an unfired factory round then measure the web on the stuck brass once you get it out.

A fix for a slight head space problem is to get a neck sizer die and only size the upper 3/4 of the neck. The rest of the brass should always keep its form. This will also make your brass last longer but will only be gun specific.

I don't consider myself a professional by any means but I do not think you have anything major going on.

May I ask what make and model the rife is?

Todd

520022250.jpg

Here is a picture I just took of a neck sized 22-250. Its kind of a shotty picture but you can see how much of the total brass is sized. Almost 3/4 of the neck. This is plenty to hold the bullet.

The accuracy on average will increase for the better when neck sizing and you don't have to lube the brass.

Todd

Sorry for the multiple posts as I feel I keep needing to add stuff..

I think I should mention that neck sized ammo will be tighter when chambering.

If you would like to try a 22-250 neck sizer, P.M. me your address and you may borrow mine to see if it will help.

Good luck again.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-12 AT 10:12PM (MST)[p]Just a hunter- Thank you for the offer, after I get the case out, I'll take some measurements and compare. I may just take you up on the offer...

The gun is a Howa 1500.

Were you using a powder measure when you loaded these?

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

>BuckSnort-
>No, each load was hand measured
>individually.

OK, that eliminates the possibility of powder bridging...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Without having the case to examine, it is hard to tell what is the problem. One thing to check is overall lengh of the case. You mentioned some of the cases have been reloaded 4 times. If you failed to set up your sizing die correctly, you may be getting case stretch.

One indication of that is hard closing of the bolt. You need to measure the overall lenght of the case and see if it is within specs or too long.

If this does turn out to be the problem, you will need to adjust your sizing die to where it just sizes the neck and barely set the shoulder back to allow chambering of the loaded round. You can trim the cases back, or toss the bad ones away as you may end with a head seperation by using them more.

A case that is too long can jam in the chamber throat causing very hard release of the bullet and will jump pressure by a large amount.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom