Stupid question?

BUGLEnmIN

Very Active Member
So I know for a fact a Barbary sheep draw tag can be used in OTC units.
Now....can the tag be used in OTC units all year or only during the hunt dates of the drawn tag?
Rio? Lol
Called g&f no answer.

Screenshot_20200423-171315.png

Good question. It doesn't specify in the regs. It would make no sense that you would be restricted to the hunt dates of your draw tag, I'm sure it's open all year as long as you have a valid tag.

All public draw Barbary sheep licenses (with the exception of McGregor range license holders who are stationed at Fort Bliss, El Paso, Texas and have paid the resident fees) shall also be valid for over-the-counter hunt areas with any big-game sporting arm.

I'm interpreting it the same way you are man. I always have.

I agree, the drawn tag is only valid in the draw unit during the hunts date associated with the hunt code but good to go in OTC units for the license year the OTC units are valid.

Same applies to draw hunt off range oryx being valid on OTC private only off range for the same month they are in but not the other way around.

I'm just making sure I have understood correctly ! Would make no sense to allow you in OTC units only during the dates you can be in a superior draw unit. Me and my wife are leaving tomorrow .

The way I read and makes clear sense is you can otc anytime. Even if you drew a archery tag you can use high power in the otc areas. Since the tag price is the same there shouldn't be a conflict. Good luck.

The way I read and makes clear sense is you can otc anytime. Even if you drew a archery tag you can use high power in the otc areas. Since the tag price is the same there shouldn't be a conflict. Good luck.
Yessir exactly what I always thought. Confirmed it this morning. Thank you all for the help .

Don't make the same mistake as me. I did my harvest report right after the hunt then all this hit and I had some extra time and wanted to try OTC, but had already done my harvest report.

Better confirm with NMDGF if you drew an archery tag, because your license will say bow, and that could potentially lead to issues in the field if you're hunting rifle in OTC.

I did call Carl . I thought the same thing . The last sentence under bag limit sums it up! Thanks for looking out

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom