sub $200 tripod

muleymaddness

Very Active Member
Looking for a sub $200 tripod that will be used mainly for camera and binoculars and mostly from sitting position if not even shorter than that at times. What should I get? I posted this in the optics forum but wasn't getting much response. Thanks!

I'd go ahead and pony up the little extra dinero and buy a Bogen Manfrotto combo, I have the 190 xv aluminum legs and a 701 hdv head, you can find each of those on ebay right now for about $260 for the combo. Buy a good system and be done with it.

Couple of considerations, you have outlined how you will use it, how will you transport it and to where. Primarily backpacking or from the car or ATV?
The Bogen mentioned above is great if you don't mind hauling around 6+ lbs.
The most versatile and cost effective tripod I have found for binos and spotting scopes is the Vanguard Alta 224CP 4 Section Ultra-Lightweight Carbon Fiber Tripod With Panhead. I use it for digiscoping, just spotting or with binos. The maximum weight capacity on this tripod handles those applications very well. You can pick one up right now on buy.com for $209 shipped. This is a very capable 2.8 lbs ultralight with max height, min folded length, weight and weight capacity that stacks up against the gitzo and other ultralight carbon fibers that will cost $500+ with head.
If backpacking is your game this is the best tripod value out there by a large margin!!!

Good luck,

check out the Slik CF series. These are carbon fiber super stable. I have one and love it. You can't quite do it for less than $200 but it is less than the other name brands you always hear about.

+1 on the SLIK. I just bought the Slik CF 613 with a Slik compact pan head. Works AWESOME!!! I ended up paying about 235 for the set up. WOrks awesome for my swaro scope and camera mount.

Just wondering also a couple have mentioned pan head are you also saying that its a fluid head? Thanks
Nmbighorn

I have used a velbon sherpa 750ra tripod with their ph-157q head. Its a great sturdy tripod and the head is pretty good also. It held my 80mm scope and my 15x binos very steady. I bought it for around $150.
I also have the Vortex Ridgeview tripod and really like it. The ball head takes some getting used to but its a nice tripod. The Vortex warranty is awesome also!!! I had the ball head lever fall off and i lost it I emailed Vortex they shipped one out to me in less than a week!!!! I think i paid $120 for the ridgeview

Another one to consider is the Manfroto 732CY Carbon Fiber Tripod. I weighs just a little over 2lbs, once you add a small head you can get the complete setup around 3 lbs. Without a head it's right at your price range. If your only going to be using it in the sitting position it should work out fine. I've got this model and have no problems with my Leica Televid 77 spotting scope or swaro 15's.

Like the others mentioned it all depends on exactly how your going to be packing the tripod around. If your going to be carrying it on your back for any distance at all I would go with the lightest stable model you can afford. I used to pack around the aluminum Manfroto but this new carbon fiber setup weights less than half of that old setup. Just my .02 cents.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom