suggestions for back yard range fortifications

338magblaster

I'm a long time rifle hunter who was fortunate to run into a premium LE elk tag this year. I have pretty much decided to get proficient with archery tackle and give that the best effort to have a quality experience.

I have a bow that I have recently started practicing with in the back yard. I've surprised myself so far. I do fine with the Block that I shoot, but I need some straw bales (or something) to catch the flyers that I know I will have as I stretch the distance out to no more that 40 yards. I don't want to punch holes in the vinyl fence. I will have enough issues with the wife, once mid-August arrives as I will be gone hopefully for a couple of weeks.

I am shooting 65 pounds, 32 inch draw and release--GoldTip carbons... I am 6'3" and 245 lbs.

Anyone have any suggestions where I might get some hay or straw bails to fortify my backyard range?

Please don't hold the fact that I am recently turning to archery against me. If I am going to carry a bow in the elk woods I want to be able to shoot proficiently and make a clean harvest should the opportunity presents itself.

Pretty sure your local farmer or IFA will carry those items. I suggest you buy a 3D target and go to a open field and get some different angles and longer shots. Turn that bow up a little and get some long pins set up!

I also recently got a bow. Before I bought it, I was shooting a buddy's from work and also a neighbor's. The first was 20 yrs old and hadn't been shot in 10. The second is only a couple yrs old. Anyhow I decided it would be something I'd like to do. So I got 3 bales of hay and shot into those for the first few weeks with the first bow and that was fine. The neighbor told me I ought to use his "deadstop" target, as modern bows are a bit more powerful, so we put it in front of the bales and that's what I've used since. The target is just a plastic twine sack that has nylon, plastic, cotton, misc materials inside and seems to work great. Although I think I owe him a target now. I noticed the back side of it has been blown out to put it kindly. It still stops shots but I have to repack it in after every 15 shots or so. At least the 3" hole is on the backside of the bullseye. I just got the bales at the local feed store. I think the targets go from 30 to 60 bucks. Good Luck on your hunt.

Mike

There is some netting out there that you can buy to place behind your target that will stop an arrow. You could erect two poles in holes that you have made and put it up kind of like a volley ball net except that it will go all the way to the ground. That way you can pick it up and put it away and the wife won't think you're messing up the yard. A buddy of mine did this and it actually works great. I think the whole thing cost him around $75-100 to do. By the way those Morrell type targets work great and you can recover them and get good service from them and they are e-z pull designs. Maybe an idea like this may work for you.

Congrats on the tag, you dog :) 20 years and still counting for me, LOL!

I'll suggest some 3/4" plywood or two thinner pieces. 65 lbs out of modern bows go right through hay bales like they aren't even there. Especially with lighter carbons.

If you are located in the Salt Lake area, I can show you the 85yard range out at DATUS. This would allow you to get your sight set up perfectly for the different distances out to 50 or 60 yards without worrying about missing.

You should work on the longer shots if you plan on shooting 40 yards. Building confidence at 50 and 60 yards, will make things much easier in the heat of the moment at what ever max range you decide is appropriate for you.

Good luck with it and let us know how things progress.

Cheers,
Pete

Another excellent target is to buy a burlap wool bag and double it so its 1/2 size. Stuff it real good with wool and you can remove your arrows with two fingers.

LAST EDITED ON May-15-05 AT 07:43PM (MST)[p]Burlap sack with shrink wrap is also good. I have a big block of foam. Its 4'x4'x8'. I have it in my back room and shoot up to 26 yds. Can find them block from most foam places that make it. Make sure you get one that is lighter density. Higher ones are hard to pull arrows out.
Good luck are your upcoming hunt.

fca2e9e9.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. IFA no longer carries bales of hay/straw. I have located a couple of farmers who have hay for sale so I will collect some there.

Is shooting in the backyard legal, in the Salt Lake Valley? A neighbor told me it may be the same as discharging a firearm.

By the way, I have The Block as a target and it stops my arrows, no problem... I am just concerned with the odd "flyer" that I haven't had yet, but know is out there.

Good Luck to all this year.

Thanks again for the input.

I am using "The Black Hole" target.
It is similar to "The Block".
It stops arrows from my 70lb Bowtech just fine, but I'd be leery of shooting in a backyard in town.
A "flyer" would go through your fence with no problem.
Killing your nieghbor wouldn't be much fun.

338, One suggestion is this . Make sure you are shooting away from any houses. I shot in my backyard in Town several years ago and when I put the broadheads on I was going to sight it in and decided to run out to my brothers house in the country and I am glad I did. I pulled back got have drawn and the arrow flew. Thought maybe I hit the release on accident. Put a second arrow in and the same thing. My serving was woren down where the release was and was slipping threw the release. Just keep track your stuff is up to par before shooting.
Just some advice to avoid any accidents.

fca2e9e9.jpg

If you are going on an LE Archery Hunt then make sure you have the last week of the hunt.... dont waist your time on the first week...take the last two weeks ...the closer to the end of the hunt the better! Unless you can take the whole hunt off.

I have scheduled the last week of the archery season and the entire any weapon (read rifle) season -- Premium LE means all hunts with all weapons... I don't have enough vacation. ...would anyone like to donate?

place targets in a area w you can elevate your self above them.
this allows you to use mother earth as your backdrop.
and you don't loose arrows under the grass. try shooting from a tree stand.
i use a steep bank.
i tryed the plywood thing and as soon as the tip of my arrow broke thru so went the rest of the arrow.
and it was hell on my fletching.
good old heavy burlap bags hung from a rod all bunched together works good but it takes quite a few to get the mass to make sure there isn't a pass thru.
down at camp, the kids shoot with a net in the back ground but i'm not to sure that a compound wouldn't pass an arrow right thru it.

oh ya, burlap bags filled with plastic tarp,
visquine, works great,
go down to your local lumberyars and pick up all their old
shipping rapping, and stuff it in the bags.
they are light weight, store easely, and won't rot if they get wet.

heck I'd just go back to the gun.
don't have to worry about finding your bullet.
and walking back and forth retreving them.
just kidding.
good luck.

Good luck and a nod to your approach;

I used the bales of straw as the backstop like the other guys. There will be arrows trying to sneak through the "seams" between the bales if you miss the main target (like I do). Try draping a piece of heavy used carpet over the back of the bales. Its heavy enough to stop the arrows.....

Again good luck.

A card board box filled with packing foam, straw bails, and a chain link fence didn't stop one of my arrows, but the Public Works street sweeper tire did the job 70 yards later. Be careful shooting in your back yard.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom