Suggestions for mapping software for Garmin Rhino 530HCX

BRUSHBEATER

I just ordered 2 Rhinos & should get them next week. I've done a little research & a lot of people use MapSource Topo. In order to get 24K detail, you need to order more than one DVD depending on which cluster of states you need. I'm also concerned some of the maps may not be real accurate or recent. Any better software ideas? Would also like to load on my PC & put on both units. Thanks

Garmin now offers memory cards with 24k topos; most cover more than one state. They are avaiable through REI and I imagine Sportsmans and Cabelas have them. The downside is they go directly into your GPS unit and can't be downloaded to your computer.

JadgBob

Also, you can order the National Geographic Topos (Outdoor Recreation Software)(by state) from their web site and save about $30 over the before mentioned stores. These include both 100k and 24k maps.

JadgBob

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-09 AT 01:11PM (MST)[p]Here is a free download that is pretty dang good. It overlays mapsource. They have some screen shots on the webpage that you can get an idea of what you are getting. I'm leary about free executables but several guys on archerytalk had downloaded & were good to go. I installed it last week & pretty impressed.
http://www.miscjunk.org/mj/mp_uttopo.html

Here's the original thread I found it on if you want to see what guys are saying...
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=657235&highlight=garmin

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-09 AT 11:05PM (MST)[p]I use a delorme gps that came with their mapping software (topo usa). I think the gps is ok (definitely not as good as your rhino), but the software is REALLY nice. It can be used with the gps and can be used on the computer to save/exchange information, and create customized maps. Plus the software includes the whole u.s.a (including alaska & hawaii). Just make sure it is compatable with your rhino. Not a bad buy either at around 100 bucks.

I also use National Geographic Topo map software. I like how you can move around completely seamlessly and set it to print any area you want without having to mess with map boundries. I can also put on waypoints from my GPS and use the waypoint tool to designate waypoints on the map so I can get GPS coordinates to program into my GPS. You can also download for free all the hunting units as an overlay for each state.
-- Bob

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom