Supercorss

onemoreridge

There is a lot of talk about about football, basketball, nascar etc. on this forum but i was wondering if anyone is a supercross/motocross fan? Who is going to the supercross in SLC this weekend? This is the sport that I watch and follow religously. If anyone has been to them live you will know what i mean. It is amazing what those guys can do on a motorcycle.

I love motocross. The only thing more amazing than watching those guys on that track is to actually try and ride those tracks. I used to watch the guys getting lapped and think "man those guys are slow". But after taking a few laps on a supercross track I got a whole new appreciation for how amazing those guys really are.

This season has been fairly lack luster in my opinion. There were a few great battles, incredible wrecks, and with the top 1 1/2 contenders out- (I say 1 1/2, because I do not believe Reed has what it takes)
Its great to see a rookie take it though, I would love to see anyone give Stewart a run for his money. If Reed could muster it up, and Dungey can stay fast, who knows?

I'm a bigger fan of FMX but it's definitely the funnest sport to actually go out and do!! I destroyed my knees riding bikes at the dunes years ago and not being able to ride anymore I've kind of stopped watching it as much but I have more respect for those athletes than any other sport!! Nothing else can give a guy that much adrenaline for damn sure!! I didn't know supercross was in SLC this weekend but I'll be looking into tickets since I'll have my boy this weekend...thank you for the info!!

GO KOBE GO!!

~Z~

Quote...
"I used to watch the guys getting lapped and think "man those guys are slow"."
/

Keep in mlnd that those "lappers" are complete studs on their local tracks.
They are better riders with more talent than most people on the planet.
If you are skilled enough to get on the track at an AMA national event you are definately a bad ass.

I raced off & on for about 10 years,
What a rush.
Though I wear 14 screws, two ten inch plates and a bone graft out of my hip in my lower left leg, I wouldn't trade those times for anything.

scan0001y.jpg

scan0003xs.jpg

I could always wreck with the best of them. Had to sale my bike to pay hospital bills and haven't been able to talk my wife into letting me get another one.

NO GUTS, NO STORY!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I wrecked 5 years ago now. Shattered my wrist, broke my jaw, broke my tail bone, broke 3 ribs, and all my teeth, with a concussion. Pretty nice huh? Have a 6" metal plate in my jaw with 4 screws, and 2 pins and 4 screws in my wrist. I sold my bike a year after I wrecked. Just didn't want to die on one. I sure do love it, and wish I could get out and ride again.
Supercross is awesome. It's amazing to think how good of shape those guys are in. When I would ride tracks, I would be wore out real quick, and those guys race hard all day. Very impressive

LAST EDITED ON Apr-27-10 AT 06:16AM (MST)[p]
I like the racing MUCH more that the new freestyle stuff.
Few people realize how physical it is.
I used to run several miles a night to get in shape, it really helped my speed and endurance.
I quit after my injury.
Wish I could run like before.
Those guys at the top are simply unbelievable.
Charmichael's perfect season comes to mind, winning every single moto of the season? more dominant than Jordan, Woods or Earnhardt
I used to like to watch Jeremy McGrath, David Bailey, Rick Johnson and Danny "Magoo" Chandler.
Two of those guys are in wheelchairs now.
Glad I got out when I did.
HH.

Its not if but when you hit the ground too hard, when it comes to riding.

I have had bikes for the last 12 years or so- been very lucky, only cracked wrists, and more than a few soar days.
I had my first kid last year and one more on the way- its changed my outlook on riding hard- and throwing caution to the wind. I hardly ride any more. Now when I have a free day- i'd rather spend it in the mountains doing something hunting related.
I have to stay healthy to provide for my family- and stay healthy enough to hunt.

I have kinda given up trying to ride tracks, like everyone has mentioned its just a matter of time when the big wreck is coming, with 2 kids now I stick to riding the dunes and trails. Favorite place to ride is moab, that place is unreal on a dirt bike. You have to respect those guys at the top level for their dedication and fitness and many of the lites riders are 16 to 18 years old and can ride like them. Its just all around impressive.

Getting hurt is part of the experiance. I have more screws, pins and wires than I care to think about, but at this point I'm not willing to let it stop me. The 2 kids change things, but not when I'm on the track. Its the one place that I can be in the zone, and I dont think about anything but what I'm doing.

What did you guys think of Villopoto taking out Dungy at St Louis? Seems like Dungy slowed up a litte to much and Villopoto didn't slow up at all. I pray that Villopoto's leg heals well and he has a 100% recovery.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-27-10 AT 11:04AM (MST)[p]I thought that it was a little over aggressive as there were 10 laps left and he had plenty of time to make the pass. The only thing that I can think is that villopoto thought he could take dungey tire out and not crash himself. I like to see the fight in riders again, it seems that there are two many riders now that they barely touch each other and they quit fighting for positions. I don't blame villopoto for being aggressive and trying to win the championship. I wish that he wouldn't have crashed to see what dungey could/might have done as they would have encountered many more lappers and kept the championship battle going. This weekend I am just hoping for two good main events as both championships are pretty much done, if the races are like last year in SLC it will be a good time.

HH,

Your list of names brings back memories...Can't believe Bob Hannah was not on your list though...

My grandpa was racing old timers class back then and used to hang with Magoo and Bob once in a while...You guys prolly know the same people...Do you know any of the Pipes from Madera Trophy...they put on a lot of the smaller races around here...

I still remember the old issue of Dirt Rider I had with Magoo upside down in the air on the cover...I dont thing it was long after that he got paralized...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Hannah was another legend of that era, a gritty rider that willed wins.

Magoo was less of a superstar but had a following due to his incredible courage.
He along with guys like Pat Richter and Guy Cooper never won national championships, but rode their guts out every Sunday.
Among the best talents ever.

Magoo...
19_jpg.jpg

Bailey

pariswhip.jpg

Baily & Maggoo must live in agony with the memories of what once was.
Don't know how they do it.

Hannah

Hannah%20image.jpg

Hannah now operates a flight school and aviation center.

Wow.
I just lost an hour googling memories of the past and reliving my youth.
How times change.

I wish I had more pics of my racing & riding days.
Nobody really took photos, my parents really weren't involved too much with me as a kid, I guess that is why I do so much with mine.
I had him racing BMX for several years and he was really pretty good, he has a table packed with trophies and I really dug watching him race.
I think you & your kid do that dontcha BuckSnort?
Good stuff.

HH

Nice flash back HH..

Here's a few more greats...

Johnny O' Mara
omara1.GIF

rogerdecoster3.GIF

Jeff Ward
jeffward1.GIF

Ron Lechein
ronlechein2.GIF

Broc Glover
brocglover1.GIF

Mark Barnett
markbarnett1.GIF

Rick Johnson
rickjohnson1.GIF

To name a few..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I will be there on Saturday. A little disappointed when Villopoto went down. I was looking forward to a real exciting race before Vegas. Glad to see Dungey win it all, but would of rather had it go down to the wire.
Oh well, it will be fun anyway.

--I'm looking for a man... who calls himself Bucho! That's all! And you had to do it, the hard way!--

I'll be there in the rain on saturday just like two years ago. The race however 2 years ago was awesome with all of the back and forth that reed and stewart did. I'll have my two boys there getting as many autographs on their riding shirts as they can. Should be a fun day.

LAST EDITED ON May-03-10 AT 09:00AM (MST)[p]The supercross was a good time, ended up being a wet race but wasn't that bad if you were prepared for the rain(tried out the new gore-tex hunting coat, worked great). It is still amazing how good those guys can ride bikes in such bad conditions. The lites riders that were jumping the triple after the whoops have got to have balls of steel, to come up short and keep doing it over and over. KW is the man and i was glad to see him win again in SLC and lap up to 3rd place. I do have to give credit to my wife who stuck it out the entire night in the rain, I asked her if she wanted to leave and she said she wasn't leaving until all the racing was over. Who else stayed for the entire show?

My wife and I stayed to the end, we moved down to the front row to watch windham lap dungey, worth every second, windham is the man! He should get dungeys points for lapping him. Awesome race

Rub some dirt on it, ya sissy!

I stayed for the whole show- from the couch! How they ride so fast in the slop is simply amazing. If its half that muddy, the bikes stay home for us.

KW- I have to tip my hat to him being able to stay a solid contender for as long as he has. It would have to be tough competing with kids half your age.
As far as the Villpoto/Dungey cornering- I love aggressive racing, I think Villipoto thought he could come out of it better off than Dungey, so he went for it. I do not think it was too aggressive. Dungey gave him an inch.

I want the GOAT to come back and race. I would watch more if he was racing still.
But for the guys still racing I think Windham has to be my pick. Some of my favorites are Emig, Mcgrath, carmichael, Windham, Stewart.
If Pastrana put more into racing he could be great but he is awesome at everything he does.

You find out who your friends are when you see who shows up to help pack your bull out!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom