sw N.M. assistance

buttwhacker

A couple buddies and I drew the first archery season elk tag for unit 16B. None of us have hunted in this area before but will be doing our homework with scouting and map studying and getting into shape and talking to biolgists, etc. I dont expect a bunch of peoples honeyholes for elk but would be very appreciative of any advice from anyone familiar with the area. I have been studying maps and online resources and wont mention specific areas on the web. I would however hope to get some PM or emails or phone calls and would love to visit with some fellow bowhunters. We are hoping to get out late summer for a scouting session.

For the hunt we are planning DIY backpacking into the wilderness and will have a base camp at the vehicles with a freezer and generator. We know we will need to find water for ourselves and the elk so the major river drainages and creeks would be good places to start, I would assume? I notice there are numerous "tanks" in the area. Are these tanks for livestock? Are they spring fed with suitable water for humans consumption (after being treated with tabs, or pumped)? As you know water is heavy and will limit how far we can go.

We will be hunting the entire season and may need to get the meat to a locker if the freezer and generator gets full of meat (preferably) or it craps out or it would simply be less to worry about if the meat was in the locker cooler and we could stay in the wilderness and hunt and not in truck camp tending to meat. Are there any meat lockers available within a reasonable distance for temp. (1-10 day) rental?

How about available meat packers just in case? There will be 4 of us so we feel comfortable that we can get an elk out in one trip from a long ways in a fairly short period of time. Like I said we will have the freezer but it might be a good idea to have backup plan with a meat packer just in case. Any recommendations?

Can anyone tell me % of forest service ground outside the wilderness there is in 16B? How does the forest service ground compare to the wilderness area hunting?

We all understand that this is a good tag to have and are thankful to have drawn. We realize how important it is to take advantage of this opportunity and hunt our butts off. Again please understand that we are committing 100% of everything we got to this hunt but it is always comforting to talk to a few good guys that have hunted the area before and can offer a little advice. Nothing against outfitters or hunters who pay for outfitters, we are just not interested in that yet. We are all mid to late 30's and want to do it the hard way while we can. Thanks for any help.

Jay Leasure
[email protected]
308-383-6554

We'll be there on the late hunt.

The first hunt can be difficult, especially if it's hot. So, yes, water is very important, both for you and the elk.

Chances are the big bulls will not be in full rut yet, so they can be difficult to find as they will not likely be with the cows...that can be good or bad, depending upon how you look at it.

The water tanks were for built for cattle, but there are no longer any cattle grazing there from what I know. This is definitely a nice change of pace.

Definitely work on getting into hiking shape. However, don't overlook areas outside the Wilderness boundaries as the entire unit is elk habitat.

Good luck.

I drew the same tag. I hunted there last year and have done alot of scouting.I know alot about the area and where 2 find the pre rut bulls.Im from New Mexico and live in Albuquerque.The unit is a good but there is alot of unperductive land between pockets of animals.I prefer to hunt the early season it seems like bull come 2 calls alot easer when they dont have cows around them .I arrowed a huge 7 by6 last year during the second hunt, 45 yard shot but he jumped my arrow and hit way far back.Looked for 5 days and a few months after, never found him.The country is pretty rough so make sure you are in shape.So this year i drew the same tag but the first season, so redemption hopefully will be mine.I usually go by my self and backpack in 3 to 4 miles for 3 to 4 days then come back out to eat a hot meal and get a shower back at the camper.Im always looking for a hunting buddy that shares the same passion as me but they are hard 2 find.Did all 4 of you guys draw the tag? where r u guys from?I would be willing 2 help u guys out if your willing 2 help me do some meat packing.Feel free to write back or give me a call at (505)270-6810 name is Mike

wow i wish i had the 16b first bow hunt, i would definitely hit up bull-blaster. to me, that offer sounds like a dream come true! i would love to do a DIY hunt in the wilderness down there

Pretty cool that there are still young guys out there that are willing to work their butts off to arrow a bull. Even cooler that there are guys willing to give them a hand. I wish you all a great hunt. Enjoy your time out there.

Thanks to all those who have offered up some assistance. It is assuring to hear from locals and hunters with first hand knowledge of the area. We will bust our butts to get ourselves in the position to have an opportunity to harvest a mature bull.

Jay

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom