Swabbing

hunter1975

This has probably been beat to death but humor me. I was at cabelas the other day and told by the TC rep to put a little TC #13 on a patch and run it down the barrel between shots. Seemed to work ok at the range. Just wondering what you everyone here seems to carry with them in the field for swabbing after one or two shots. Anyone have a good combination thats easy to deal with in the field?

Also, it seems that the jag that came with my TC omega is a little annoying (3-4 inches long). I guess you just pack it around and when you need to swab or load screw it on your ramrod...unless someone has a better system thats faster and less cumbersome.

Thanks for the feedback!

My gun has the same impact point whether I shoot from a clean but primer fouled barrel or one that has fired a round or two. I am no expert but when I am in the field, I don't screw with patching in between shots. The only thing I do the day before the hunt is fire a cap through it to semi foul the barrel.

I carry a ziplock bag with a few patches slightly damp with windex. It cuts through fouling fast and evaporates faster.

-DallanC

I agree with fairchase, spit works great its cheap and i never run out.

Glen

In the duldroms of a hot summer, I have been known to come close to running out of spit (AARRGH!) but I just use my spit also. When I know it will be hot out, I always have a water bottle to "wet my whistle" at the range, if my patch happens to be in my mouth at the same time, all the better.

Out in the field, I carry a zip lock bag with a few patches, and again rely on my own spit. I have never swabbed between my shots out in the field, only while shooting for groups at the range do I worry about it.

I have a dumb question for ya. I recently started using my own spit to swab my barrel between shots and wondered this. My gun has a breech plug and without removing it I'm not able to push from the action end on out to the end of the barrel like I would normally do when I clean it after shooting a bunch. I wonder when I'm swabbing my barrel out from the muzz end if I am pushing a bunch of junk down into the breech plug and only actually pulling out a small portion of the crap. If so does it relly matter?

Just curios.

Thanks,

NvrEnuf

One of the advantages of swabbing between each shot is the you don't get near the buildup of "stuff" in your barrel. I would thoroughly clean (pull breech plug, action etc.)after 20 rounds at least. I rarely shoot more then 10-15 shots per session for each gun, so I just swab between the shots and then run solvent and oil at the end of the session. Once I am home, I pull the plug and clean everything thoroughly and get a good coat of oil where necessary.

I wouldn't worry about the crap around the breech plug in the barrel, as your 209 primer will blow through it easily. If it is "excessive" shoot a primer through before loading it just to make certain the hole is clear.

Have fun!
FH

If you guys are getting alot of flakey "stuff" in your bores you need to change powders. Pyro P leaves a thick smokey coating is all that is easily swabbed out.

-DallanC

Hunter 1975

T/C-13 is fine. Alot of us use a mix of alcohol and Windex (or a mix of alcohol and windshield washer solution. Don't forget a T-handle for the other side of that ramrod. It sure helps to seat tough-loading sabots. What bullet are you using?? Use the long jag for seating the bullets & use a bore brush for cleaning & swabbing.

Pyrodex P is the best Pyrodex product for your 45-50-54 caliber ML. It's the cheapest bp substitute powder -- but also the most corrosive. It will turn a bore to rust faster than real blackpowder when not cleaned for extended periods.

............."Keep Yer' Powder Dry Fellas".............

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom