Switchback XT setup, (new to the sport)

lchcguide

Just received a brand new switchback xt from my brother-in-law. I need some suggestions on what to set the bow up with. Be hunting muleys and elk mainly in New Mexico. I have guided bow hunters and I know what I do not want, but I do not know much about the products out there. Suggestions for rest, sights, arrow selection, stabilizers, etc.

go to the mathews web site and log on to their forums. You will get any information you need and more. Do a search. there is a lot of good info and good guys that will help you out.

If possible, I would take it to an archery pro-shop and have them set it up for you. They can suggest several options and expalin the differences between the multitude of accessory options. Good luck and have fun.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Go to a local matthews dealer in your area and let them help you. Are you new to archery in general or just to the switchback? If i could suggest one thing. Keep in mind that everyone has opinions on what to get and how to do it.
a couple of "suggestions", choices

Sights, there are many, use what works best for your eyes:
fuse, spot hogg, cobra, copper john dead nutz

rests: I would personally go with a drop away and there are many to choose from
the matthews rest is great, trophy takers are almost indestructable

too many stabilizers to choose from but doinkers are great

arrows; easton, beman, gold tips, you can't go wrong with any of those MAKE SURE THAT THEY ARE PROPERLY SPINED FOR YOU DRAW WEIGHT

i would suggest a wrist sling so you can have a nice open relaxed grip on you bow

I always put limb savers on all my bows, this one doesn't need it but I do it any way.
I hope this gives you a starting point.

Good luck
teamt
let me know if you need any help as I work at a bow shop

Thanks to all, I am new to bowhunting and was just wondering on what setups work best for you guys that have some experience. I have visited with the guys at the local bowshop and they all have different suggestions than what the shop owner has. I guess it is just what fits each individual person.

Thanks again!

i have a switchback xt and i have a 7 pin hunter hogg it sight a mathews rest anda mathews quiver, i shoot gold tip 22 series arrows and it shoots great for me...cbryant

You say you just recieved it from your brother-in-law? The very first thing you need to do is gp to a pro shop and make sure the draw length is correct for you.
After that you can start getting accessories for it.
Good luck, it's a rush and the XT is an awesome bow!!!

Lien2

Wow. You've got a nice Bro- in -Law! Great bow. Definitely take it to a shop to make sure the draw length is correct for you, otherwise you will never shoot it well.

There are so many good vendors out there and ways to set up your bow. I have a standard Switchback and I went through the same process of picking and choosing parts. Here is what I settled on and I finally think I have it nailed down with the best of everything.

Trophy Ridge Drop Zone rest.

Spot Hogg Hunter Hog It sight.

Simms modular stabilizer.

Truball Tornado Release.

Mathews Arrow Web quiver.

Simms Limb Savers.

Winners Choice String.

Then you need to pick some arrows. Don't buy bargain models, but you don't need the most expensive either. Most manufacturers make good ones, JUST MAKE SURE THEY ARE THE CORRECT SPINE. This will depend on the length of the arrow, your poundage, and the size tip you want to shoot. The manufacturer will publish a chart that will help you make the right decision. This is very important!

Then get yourself some good broadheads and get to practicing. Ideally, you want your bow to be tuned well with your set up so that your braodhead tipped arrows will impact the same point as your field tipped arrows. If not, you may need some help from your pro shop making rest adjustments to get them shooting properly. You can also download the Easton Archery Arrow Tuning Guide for help too. Good luck.

I also have an XT.
Bow $620
NAP rest $65
easton arrows $80 dz
Spot Hogg Hunter 5pin $140
Sims Scoil (cheap) $20
Mathews Piece Quiver $100

You can go a lot cheaper, I went middle of the road.

He had me go get measured before he ordered it, and I could not ask for better bro-in-laws. I have two and they are both great guys and the best friends I could ever ask for.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom