Switching to non-lead bullets.....which is best?

Smith,

Due to a bunch if alligators nipping at my butt, I don't have the time -- nor the desire, really -- to get deeply involved in this discussion. Instead, I'll try point folks in the right direction to find out for themselves as I did many years ago. I researched it for several articles on the issue because of the condors here that feed on the North Kaibab. Amazingly, (that's sarcasm LOL), the incidents of poisoned birds there, where they are monitored 24/7, showed a huge spike just after the deer hunts each year.

It's real simple; do a google search on "lead poisoning in birds." Or you can also do the same sort of search on certain species, for example "lead poisoning in vultures" or "lead poisoning in birds of prey."

The data will quickly show that many, many birds other than waterfowl get lead poisoning and literally thousands have died from it. Birds of prey are especially susceptible to it. It's not a myth or solely a California issue.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

The patch on her shirt doesn't make her knowledgeable, but her years of expertise specifically on lead in raptors makes her so.

For all you know, she could be the world's foremost expert that happens to feel so strongly about it that she volunteers to teach Hunter Ed. Get some more information on the instructor from AZ if it's important to you, but to say she was just teaching curriculum shows you clearly weren't there. I see what you're getting at, but that's not what happened here.

Grizzly

Tony can you explain why the lead level in condor blood hasn't changed in California? Seems they've had a lead ban on in a condor zone for some time now. TIA

#livelikezac

"This is pretty funny stuff. mtmuley"

"Wow. And you call BS. Amazing. mtmuley"

Is that all you do mtmuley, quote a post and then make one-liners?

Now that's some pretty funny stuff right there, zero imagination.

Ok, so in the hope of turning this around for the OP I have a question for those that have used the all copper bullets.
Can anyone speak to their effectiveness at longer ranges, say over 500 yards?
I have read and heard of pencil holes and long or failed recoveries.

Bill

People who work for a living are quickly being
overwhelmed by people who vote for a living.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-21-19 AT 07:28PM (MST)[p]Well roadrunner, I found it funny somebody on a copper vs lead discussion doesn't know lead isn't magnetic. Hard to be credible. I also don't buy the copper is too expensive so guys won't shoot as much crap. I have a friend that owns a bullet company making lathe turned copper bullets. He can't keep up with demand. I also don't think that animals killed with monos are always all shot up. Most information you find is to the contrary. I do happen to know the largest wild game processor here in my part of Montana. I'll ask him. mtmuley

>Ok, so in the hope of
>turning this around for the
>OP I have a question
>for those that have used
>the all copper bullets.
>Can anyone speak to their effectiveness
>at longer ranges, say over
>500 yards?
>I have read and heard of
>pencil holes and long or
>failed recoveries.
>
>Bill
>
>People who work for a living
>are quickly being
>overwhelmed by people who vote for
>a living.

If you want some good info on this, call Steve at Hammer bullets. He has used them at extended range, and has customers that have also. mtmuley

Look I think yall are shifting the argument because you don't have much to stand on.

Do we know that some birds have ingested lead and died? YES

It doesn't kill as many raptors as automobiles for sure. It doesn't kill as many raptors as electrocution for sure. It doesn't kill as many raptors as wind farms for sure. In fact did you know that wind farms are killing so many raptors they literally have a written pass from the department of the interior and USFWS to kill as many as they want? THEY GET TO KILL MOUNTAINS OF THEM WITH BLESSING BUT WE HAVE TO CHANGE OUR SPORT TO MAKE SURE A FEW MORE LIVE???????????

Are raptors in danger of extinction from ingesting lead? NO absolutely not.

Yet instead of them trying to right laws to save raptors from auto strikes, electricity, and giant fans, they come pick on hunters. The most heavily regulated demographic in America.Why actually make a difference for good when you can screw over a bunch people who won't stand up for themselves and look like you've done something?????

Hey, if lead bullets bother you I am fine if you want to make a personal choice and quit shooting them. No problemo. But there is no reason here to start writing more laws and regulation just so you can feel better.

Yall guys outlaw driving faster than 10 MPH on the freeway and you will convince me that you are trying to actually help birds. Until then you are just another group of people who get your rocks off telling other people what to do.

I would never, never advocate this, but theoretically a hunter could make a Remington core lokt sandwich to take out in the field with him. Put 3 core lokt cartridges between two pieces of bread and wrap it up like a sandwich. Carry a partially used box of copper ammo and a couple empties.

If the warden checks you out at the truck, he will praise you for being so environmentally conscious.

When you get out in the field, use the core lokt cartridges to shoot your game. Bury the empties and any unused ones.(this is important).

If the game warden shows up, all you have is copper ammo and copper empties.

This is for informational purposes only. Do not do this.

Finally....

Useful information.

Bill

People who work for a living are quickly being
overwhelmed by people who vote for a living.

>I would never, never advocate this,
>but theoretically a hunter could
>make a Remington core lokt
>sandwich to take out in
>the field with him. Put
>3 core lokt cartridges between
>two pieces of bread and
>wrap it up like a
>sandwich. Carry a partially used
>box of copper ammo and
>a couple empties.
>
>If the warden checks you out
>at the truck, he will
>praise you for being so
>environmentally conscious.
>
>When you get out in the
>field, use the core lokt
>cartridges to shoot your game.
>Bury the empties and any
>unused ones.(this is important).
>
>If the game warden shows up,
>all you have is copper
>ammo and copper empties.
>
>This is for informational purposes only.
>Do not do this.

Hey Eel!

Good Hunters Don't eat Core-Lokt Samiches!:D:D:D

I Can Only Imagine some of the Stories of You Dealing with Wardens over the years!:D

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

>>I would never, never advocate this,
>>but theoretically a hunter could
>>make a Remington core lokt
>>sandwich to take out in
>>the field with him. Put
>>3 core lokt cartridges between
>>two pieces of bread and
>>wrap it up like a
>>sandwich. Carry a partially used
>>box of copper ammo and
>>a couple empties.
>>
>>If the warden checks you out
>>at the truck, he will
>>praise you for being so
>>environmentally conscious.
>>
>>When you get out in the
>>field, use the core lokt
>>cartridges to shoot your game.
>>Bury the empties and any
>>unused ones.(this is important).
>>
>>If the game warden shows up,
>>all you have is copper
>>ammo and copper empties.
>>
>>This is for informational purposes only.
>>Do not do this.
>
>
>Hey Eel!
>
>Good Hunters Don't eat Core-Lokt Samiches!:D:D:D
>
>
>I Can Only Imagine some of
>the Stories of You Dealing
>with Wardens over the years!:D
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>I know so many people in
>so many places
>They make allot of money but
>they got sad faces
>
>It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Bobcat, when they first banned lead for waterfowl hunting I heard of a few guys making Super-X sandwiches! :D:D

Except when they swab your barrel and find lead residue . They started that shortly after they found Eel not eating his sandwiches. That steel shot changes was much harder to deal with at the time. Then with this ban. When we already have alternatives that work.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom